Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #1,096 of 1,155
Yah, coupon was good for a one-time use and expires 2/28.
Yes, the coupon offer was certainly a surprise, at first I thought it wasn't really B&W, but some evil scammer! I doubt I would have jumped on the S2, as I did own the S1 (now gifted).

Was this simply a marketing ploy to get some commentary online? I've been wondering if someone might try to suggest it is an admission by B&W that the S1's BT issues ( that some report) needed an overhaul. Hey, as they say, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth". :smile_phones: My S2 will arrive this next week!!! Thanks for the discount B&W!

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,097 of 1,155
I feel like they won't launch a PI8. Apple is the only reason imo B&W/Focal launched high end BT headphones, Apple trailblazed that high end market and made it possible with APM. Thing is the BT buds market seems to top out around the pI7 price, I mean can you imagine £600 bt buds like px8? Would be mad imo

Agrreex, but they might do something like what Beyerdynamidc

I'll certainly do my best to compare and post here. I thought the APP v2 sounded very good, and the ANC is really good. I have my doubts that the PI7 S2's ANC will be as good. If it is, than that would be a plus.

It is not
You might be right. This launch is what they did with the PX series, ie launch and S2, but yeah, the cost would be ridiculous.

I’m really enjoying them. Soundstage and tuning is better than my APP2, but of course ANC and transparency better on the APP2. I use the PI7 S2 more.
Agree. I also have the APP2 and there is really no contest on ANC or transparency, both of which are clearly much better on the Apple buds. However, on sound quality, good though the APP2 are, they do not have the energy, clarity, detail or soundstage that the Pi7 S2 has.

Been on another jouney with the PI7 S2. No signal loss, walking through areas that had issues before. ANC not really changed from Pi7, so I'd rate it as pretty poor. SQ remains great. Will test with an IPhone later this week.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,098 of 1,155
Agree. I also have the APP2 and there is really no contest on ANC or transparency, both of which are clearly much better on the Apple buds. However, on sound quality, good though the APP2 are, they do not have the energy, clarity, detail or soundstage that the Pi7 S2 has.

Been on another jouney with the PI7 S2. No signal loss, walking through areas that had issues before. ANC not really changed from Pi7, so I'd rate it as pretty poor. SQ remains great. Will test with an IPhone later this week.
When I tested PI7 vs APP1 I noticed APP1 had wayy better ANC, but overall the PI7 seemed to cancel as much if not more noise due to passive isolation.

Obviously the PI7 cant toggle to ambient mode, so you essentially lose that feature. But its noise isolation is pretty darn good id say.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,099 of 1,155
IMG_9984.jpeg

Received the PI7 S2 today. The FEDEX truck was so cold I had to let them get to room temperature before charging them up. So I've had little time listening to them. Connection range seemed pretty decent I walked to the other side of the house (using my M1MacMini as the source) and one quick dropout of music. Note we are talking about appliances, and chimney, wall of books, in the kitchen from the M1 same floor office on the other side of the house.

I did have some dropouts while sitting in front of the MacMini. But I think that is the MacMini that is stacked with other equipment (OWC Thunderbolt Dock, OWC external hard drive, and multiple BT devices nearby on the desk. When I shut down the Apple Trackpad, or simply don't use it (I have a Logitech mouse working in tandem) no problems.

Just tried my iPhone 13 Pro as the source, and continued to work on the M1 MacMini with Apple Trackpad on. No dropouts. The MacMini seems to be the problem I need to work on regarding sound dropouts.

Clearly I have to work on placement of my desktop devices. As I've had this similar issue with the Px8 and the M1 MacMini.

The sound is good BTW. :smile_phones: I need to spend more time with them to fully appreciate them more!

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,100 of 1,155
Glad they arrived! Even in the Bay Area right now the temp is bizarrely, suddenly cold. Good call warming them up first.

FWIW Macs alway seem to struggle with Bluetooth resiliency when compared to iOS devices, in my experience at least. I can put a bonkers amount of distance between my Px8 and iPhone without even a hiccup, but music starts cutting out the moment I walk into a different room when paired to my Mac.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #1,101 of 1,155
Glad they arrived! Even in the Bay Area right now the temp is bizarrely, suddenly cold. Good call warming them up first.

FWIW Macs alway seem to struggle with Bluetooth resiliency when compared to iOS devices, in my experience at least. I can put a bonkers amount of distance between my Px8 and iPhone without even a hiccup, but music starts cutting out the moment I walk into a different room when paired to my Mac.
I’ll have to try distancing the iPhone then as it has been sitting on the desk near the M1 MacMini. Thanks for the advice!

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #1,102 of 1,155
I’ll have to try distancing the iPhone then as it has been sitting on the desk near the M1 MacMini. Thanks for the advice!
I have a similar setup to you wfh. M1 MM, trackpad, iPhone 14 Pro Max. I run them off my phone or M1 iPad Pro, no issues, no dropouts. I know I'll jinx it, but I haven't had one dropout yet with them.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,103 of 1,155
I have a similar setup to you wfh. M1 MM, trackpad, iPhone 14 Pro Max. I run them off my phone or M1 iPad Pro, no issues, no dropouts. I know I'll jinx it, but I haven't had one dropout yet with them.
Is your M1 MacMini out in the open? Mine has a Hard drive and USB-dock stacked on it. Dumb I know but my desk is small. I’m going to separate the units and see if that fixes the drip out issue. I’ll also test the current setup with my Airpods Max and iPods Pro 2 before the unstacking.

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #1,104 of 1,155
I have what I'm sure is a dumb question....I have used the creative Bt w3 on my iPhone 12 with the ddhifi TC28i adaptor and it's worked great. Since I am getting the pi7s2 and have the PX8, I figured I would try the Creative BT W4 instead and see what Adaptive aptX sounded like. However when I connect the BT W4 to my iPhone with the ddhifi tc28, it doesn't work, it says "accessory requires too much power". If someone could suggest an adaptor I could use for the usb c to lightning port, so I could use the BT 4 with my iPhone, that would be great.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #1,105 of 1,155
I have what I'm sure is a dumb question....I have used the creative Bt w3 on my iPhone 12 with the ddhifi TC28i adaptor and it's worked great. Since I am getting the pi7s2 and have the PX8, I figured I would try the Creative BT W4 instead and see what Adaptive aptX sounded like. However when I connect the BT W4 to my iPhone with the ddhifi tc28, it doesn't work, it says "accessory requires too much power". If someone could suggest an adaptor I could use for the usb c to lightning port, so I could use the BT 4 with my iPhone, that would be great.
Just get an official apple cck adapter. It should work. Edit - interesting, it’s possible the W4 requires more power than the 3? Edit 2 - just looked up the ddhifi- cool gadget. Should work. Strange.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,109 of 1,155
Well I've earlier reported BT connection problems with the PI7 S2, but noted it was only with my new Apple Trackpad in use. Since then I've tried my Px8 and my M&D MW75 headphones, as still got halting music with some static. This is on M1 MacMini. No problems at all with my iPhone 13.

I just am coming back as to not scare anyone from considering the PI7 S2. Think the basic problem here is the M1 MacMini, the fact I have it stacked with an external hard drive, and USB Thunderbolt Dock. Also, the number of BT devices I have engaged just might be too much for the M1 MacMini.

If I was really desperate I think I'd try the Logitech USB dongle and have my Logitech BT keyboard and mouse connect via the dongle. On the most part I'll probably be using the PI7 S2 with my iPhone, and iPad Pro.

I'm just throwing this all out there to see if anyone else has a similar set-up and issues. I am indeed enjoying the PI7 S2 and also my recently acquired Px8 (I am getting addicted to their sound). My Apple AirPods Max may be handed down to one of the kids. :relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back