Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Feb 17, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,126 of 1,155
Just got my midnight blue PI7 S2's....can confirm the following connectivity issue is still present:
- Can't connect to Sony NW-WM1A via AptX HD. The player "can't connect" to the headphones in this mode. Have to defer to AptX codec. Same as BW PI7 S1
That's not good. Mine connect using AptX HD via the creative BT-W3 adapter from my iPhone.

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,127 of 1,155
I bought the BT-W4 to try out the AptXAdaptive, but the W4 can't connect to iPhone without a zillion cables....very disappointing. If anyone has a workaround to use that, please let me know. In the meantime, I use my W3 for HD.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,128 of 1,155
Hugely disappointed with B&W customer service and the longevity of these very expensive earbuds.

These were bought on release day and have been used on and off ever since. I am careful with the case, using a bag and a compartment to carry it so that it does not get scatched.

Early last week, I dropped the case while getting to put the ear buds in, so onto my desk. Not from why great height - less than 1 metre. You can see from the attached that the case has a chip in it - must have been unlucky re angle of drop or something. I then also noticed the writing on the case is wearing off. This is after only a few weeks use.

I reached out to B&W. After an exchange of emails I've been told that the damage is cosmetic, so not covered under warranty. I've been given two options - return to B&W for a refund, as I bought them directly and it is within the 30 day return window, minus an unspecified amount for the cosmetic damage. Option 2 is to pay full price (over £100) for a new case.

Very unimpressed, not least because I still have the original Pi7s and they are in immaculate condition. The Pi7 S2s are expensive earbuds, marketed on looks as well as sound. This is poor and really does raise concerns over the build quality of the case at the very least.

I think I'll be returning these, taking whatever monetary hit B&W exact, and that's the last B&W product I'll entertain buying. I also purchased PX8s, though not direct from B&W, and think I may have to return those too, as there appear to be battery issues appearing with those and a less than impressive response from B&W to sorting them. I've no wish to worry about that, or trying to sort it one once those expensive earphones are out of warranty.

Customer service is so important when investing in products. To be fair to B&W, at least the reps responded quickly and politely. However, for premium products this level of service is just not good enough, in my view at least. Some gesture of support would have been welcome.

Attachments

• 20230216_154223.jpg
    20230216_154223.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230216_154231.jpg
    20230216_154231.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,129 of 1,155
Hugely disappointed with B&W customer service and the longevity of these very expensive earbuds.

These were bought on release day and have been used on and off ever since. I am careful with the case, using a bag and a compartment to carry it so that it does not get scatched.

Early last week, I dropped the case while getting to put the ear buds in, so onto my desk. Not from why great height - less than 1 metre. You can see from the attached that the case has a chip in it - must have been unlucky re angle of drop or something. I then also noticed the writing on the case is wearing off. This is after only a few weeks use.

I reached out to B&W. After an exchange of emails I've been told that the damage is cosmetic, so not covered under warranty. I've been given two options - return to B&W for a refund, as I bought them directly and it is within the 30 day return window, minus an unspecified amount for the cosmetic damage. Option 2 is to pay full price (over £100) for a new case.

Very unimpressed, not least because I still have the original Pi7s and they are in immaculate condition. The Pi7 S2s are expensive earbuds, marketed on looks as well as sound. This is poor and really does raise concerns over the build quality of the case at the very least.

I think I'll be returning these, taking whatever monetary hit B&W exact, and that's the last B&W product I'll entertain buying. I also purchased PX8s, though not direct from B&W, and think I may have to return those too, as there appear to be battery issues appearing with those and a less than impressive response from B&W to sorting them. I've no wish to worry about that, or trying to sort it one once those expensive earphones are out of warranty.

Customer service is so important when investing in products. To be fair to B&W, at least the reps responded quickly and politely. However, for premium products this level of service is just not good enough, in my view at least. Some gesture of support would have been welcome.
Not to excuse B&W, but I find this is a trend with all tws cases.
My MW07 Plus 'steel' case was covered in thousands of tiny scratches within a few months, looked a mess and looking online others had the same issue.
My airpods case is similar, despite being looked after its covered in scratches and marks.

The best solution I've seen is a fabric hybrid case like the mw07 go. All these plastic cases will scuff and mark because the case is being handled so much.

I had to return my PX8s for a very mild intermittent issue where the signal would go noisy, they replaced them with a sealed pair no questions asked. Great customer service my end at least.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,130 of 1,155

Customer service is so important when investing in products. To be fair to B&W, at least the reps responded quickly and politely. However, for premium products this level of service is just not good enough, in my view at least. Some gesture of support would

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,131 of 1,155
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with B&W's PI7 S2. Considering this type of headphone is used on the go a sturdier case would be very useful.

I'm looking for a form fitting case with a wrist strap. I did find a cheap case on Amazon, it is not form fitting, so I still have to pull it out of the case, and the faux leather doesn't do these earbuds justice.

That said I have a carbon fiber form fitting case for my iPods Pro 2. I wonder if the B&W market is big enough for some third party to come up with a decent, protective case for the Pi7 S2?

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,132 of 1,155
On the heels of this most recent note, I was initially surprise that there were a number of case covers for the PI7 and PI5.
This is a relatively small niche market compared to the more "popular" brands, but cases are around.
But I feel for you with the damage to a brand new item.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #1,134 of 1,155
I saw some neoprene cases available which also have a clip. Would work the same way as a 3D printed case concept.
There is also a zipper case which would hold the requisite cables which would be helpful on flights when wishing to use the Bluetooth transmission feature of the case.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,135 of 1,155

Update. Customer service responsive. I can return and get full refund, with no deductions.

They explained that the buds are paired to the original case so the cost of replacement is return of the buds and having them reprogrammed.

They also said something about the issues pairing to DAPs:
"Bluetooth headphones have a single chipset, true wireless earphones have a master and slave and work slightly differently in terms of connection to a source device. This is why true wireless earphones don't usually work with dedicated portable players."
Hmmm.

Now have to decide whether to return the buds or just get a cover for the case.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #1,136 of 1,155
How does the case transmitter work?

Does it work with PC?
What's the latency?
What audio quality?
Do the case get charged at the same time?

It's an really interesting feature, If B&W fixes the transparency mode control issue then I might try them out.

And what kind of battery life can you expect with ANC on for the S2s?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #1,137 of 1,155
Update. Customer service responsive. I can return and get full refund, with no deductions.

They explained that the buds are paired to the original case so the cost of replacement is return of the buds and having them reprogrammed.

They also said something about the issues pairing to DAPs:
"Bluetooth headphones have a single chipset, true wireless earphones have a master and slave and work slightly differently in terms of connection to a source device. This is why true wireless earphones don't usually work with dedicated portable players."
Hmmm.

Now have to decide whether to return the buds or just get a cover for the case.
I decided to keep the Pi7 S2 and not a cheap case off Ebay. Issue solved. Very much looking forward to taking my Pi7 S2 and PX8 combo on an international flight and trip next week.

Attachments

• 20230308_093116.jpg
    20230308_093116.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,138 of 1,155
Anyone here care to share their thoughts on APP2 vs these?

Snagged the PI7 S2for £200, I already have APP2 but thought I'd give these a shot at such a low price.

Loving them. Really fun, punchy, just what I want from a pair of buds. I usually go for my 7hz timeless if I need good iems on the go, but with aPP2 around I find myself barely ever doing that.

Now here's something I've noticed, APP2 sound fantastic technically, to me, for tws. But they lack that special something, the 7hz have it, my favourite on ear headphones have it...It's almost like they're a tad soulless? I have no idea why, APM are the same. I didn't notice it really until I tried the PI7 S2 in scenarios I'd usually use APP2, I just find myself more involved and engrossed in the music. At an emotional level.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same. Technically I think they trade blows with the PI7 S2, although the latter clearly image better and have a more visceral bass, the APP2 have a more impressive image for mids and sound more open. Yet I just prefer the PI7 S2.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,139 of 1,155
That completely matches my experience with the Pi7 S2 and APPv2. I have both and use both frequently.

Both sound v-shaped to me, but the Pi7 S2 deliver much more impactful bass. It's not that there's just more of it—specifically in the lower midrange—it's that instruments like kick drums and synths have more body and generally sound smoother and more immersive. Surely this is preference, but like, I can't rock out to Deftones with the AirPods the way I can with the Pi7. As has been the case throughout my experience using Bowers & Wilkins headphones: they tune their cans like they're speakers, and I find that to be terribly enjoyable.

The downside is that they don't sound as open with more delicate things, like music from the neo-classical duo Lunz. For that, I've found the iOS system EQ "Vocal Booster" does a surprisingly good job of cutting the low end, and giving the midrange more of a chance to shine.

So yeah, I think both are terrific, but I find myself preferring the Pi7 S2. Nice to be able to easily carry both around though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back