Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,036 of 1,955
Haven't updated yet but out of interest is it possible to roll back the firmware if desired?

Nope.. The installer picks what is offered. Always the latest one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,039 of 1,955
Feb 26, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #1,040 of 1,955
So just completed the fw update with the hope of improving the sound, and what was a fr of hyped bass impinging on the mids is now a bit of a rumbley mess. Bass definition has gotten worse than before, which was not class leading. Actually quite disappointed.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,041 of 1,955
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post an update with my experimentation fitting the Brainwavz sheepskin pads to the B&W P7's.

I've had the pads a couple of weeks now but I've been in the middle of moving house so haven't had much opportunity to test them out.

I ordered both the flat and angled pair to see which worked best.

They fit pretty well and don't look too out of place despite their larger size, I will however be making some further adjustments to them to get them to fit even better and create a better seal. Unfortunately I ended up tearing one of the flat pads along the seam by being a bit heavy handed pulling it off the frame! This has meant that I'll need to send them back for a replacement before making some modifications which will involved punching a few holes in them.

The general build quality is very good and the sheepskin leather looks high quality.

They are very comfortable and fully encapsulate the ear meaning they can be worn for long periods without any discomfort.

The sound profile doesn't change too much although they do lose a tiny bit of bass impact and the volume is reduced slightly. On the plus side the soundstage does open up a touch more and the hiss is dramatically reduced due to the ear being further from the driver.

I didn't notice much difference between the flat and the angled pair, although the angled pair did lose a touch more bass compared to the flat pair. The flat pair also look better and more stock than the angled pair and I also found them more comfortable, so the angled pair will be going back for a refund.

I'm hoping that once I further modify the flat pair and get a better seal on them that they might regain a bit of the lost bass, although this was only a minimal to begin with! I'll need to punch 4 holes in each pad so that I can pull the pads tight over the frame and have the holes and magnets on the frame visible for fitting. I probably use double sided sticky tape to secure them on tightly.

If you read my post before you'll know that I ended up using the pads from the wired P7's to modify and that they are a slightly different design which help seal the cable port. I may try glueing a section of plastic to the modified frame so they resemble the wireless pads and perhaps this may also improve the bass??

I'll let you know how I go once I receive the replacement pads back!

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,042 of 1,955
I'm interested to know how people are using these headphones. Are they too big for wearing while out and about, say walking around? When dropped around the neck, do the earcups lie flat?

I have, and am happy with, the P5 wireless, which are much smaller...But will consider the P7 wireless if they'll work for portable use, not be too bulky.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,043 of 1,955
I updated the firmware and I don't really like the sound now.. :rage:

So just completed the fw update with the hope of improving the sound, and what was a fr of hyped bass impinging on the mids is now a bit of a rumbley mess. Bass definition has gotten worse than before, which was not class leading. Actually quite disappointed.

Are you guys sure you're not hearing the placebo effect?

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,044 of 1,955
I'm interested to know how people are using these headphones. Are they too big for wearing while out and about, say walking around? When dropped around the neck, do the earcups lie flat?

I have, and am happy with, the P5 wireless, which are much smaller...But will consider the P7 wireless if they'll work for portable use, not be too bulky.

Thanks in advance!
Im using the P7 three hrs out and about in Hong Kong.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,046 of 1,955

Thanks in advance!

They are bulkier than the p5 and do not lay flat. I have no problem using them for portable use but I am coming from a rather large full-sized can for portable use. These are about as compact as full-sized headphones get.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,047 of 1,955

Thanks in advance!

I think this comes down to personal preference. I sometimes use my P7W when out and about and they are certainly OK size-wise, but I prefer smaller headphones for such occasions, like my Sennheiser Momentum over the ear (1st gen) which is my preferred commuter choice. One thing I have noticed though with the P7W is that they pick up wind noise (which my Sennheisers don't). I guess it has to do with the form of the ear cups causing turbulence or something. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,048 of 1,955
I confirm, after the upgrade, it is easier to adjust the volume, but it is also lower than before, and the overall quality has lost clarity and definition, I prefer to listen to wired, then I proceed with the return.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #1,049 of 1,955
I confirm, after the upgrade, it is easier to adjust the volume, but it is also lower than before, and the overall quality has lost clarity and definition, I prefer to listen to wired, then I proceed with the return.

I cannot hear that the sound quality has changed after the upgrade. I also listened to the same song just before and after the upgrade, but were more focused on the volume than the sound quality. Couldn't it be that you are just listening at a different volume after the upgrade? Higher volume will usually sound better when doing comparisons like this.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,050 of 1,955
If you think you are having audio issues after the firmware update, try resseting the internal learned Bluetooth devices memory,"by holding volume down and pressing the Bluetooth button for 2 seconds", then repair your most used audio source first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back