Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #991 of 1,955

P7W win in sound
H9 win in looks, comfort, ANC 

So we need a P7W with ANC  :)

but then those would lose to the current non-ANC versions in sound.  
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #992 of 1,955
ANC just adds to the hiss level, so unless you can switch it off I'd much rather go without!....especially if like me you usually use them around the home and really don't need it!

It's also interesting how much the ANC effects the sound signature of headphones that give you the option to turn it off...it's usually a case of a richer more full bodied sound with it on but at the expense of ANC hiss! The exception are Denon AH-GC20's which sounded much better with it off!

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #993 of 1,955
until it will spend 60 days to return, I will compare and study always alternatives to these p7w! ok in fact I'm considering if perhaps P5W can provide the same sound quality, with greater portability or keep p7 and order p3 or the c5 for listening on the move ... you have experience with these other jewelry bowers & wilkins? What would you advise me?

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #994 of 1,955
I can say the P5W is not anywhere near the same class, the only advantage is size. And I had two pair before giving up and they both had major Bluetooth issues like if my phone was in my left jeans pocket and I dared to turn my hear right the music dropped out almost every time. The P7W hasn't done this once in 2 months.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #995 of 1,955
I can say the P5W is not anywhere near the same class, the only advantage is size. And I had two pair before giving up and they both had major Bluetooth issues like if my phone was in my left jeans pocket and I dared to turn my hear right the music dropped out almost every time. The P7W hasn't done this once in 2 months.

thank you! I curse 60 days to return! They make you think too !!! these days, I'm appreciating p7w more in the vision of movies that for the music! like being at the movies! large stage, bass end that shakes the stomach, sharp voices, three-dimensionality delicious ... with the music have the same effect, but it is more difficult to appreciate. imho

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #996 of 1,955
strange that wearing this can in the opposite way it was intended makes sound better for me, so that the left side becomes right

wearing it the opposite way increases the bass perception and mids. Also strange that it is more comfortable as well wearing it in the opposite way

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #999 of 1,955
thank you! I curse 60 days to return! They make you think too !!! these days, I'm appreciating p7w more in the vision of movies that for the music! like being at the movies! large stage, bass end that shakes the stomach, sharp voices, three-dimensionality delicious ... with the music have the same effect, but it is more difficult to appreciate. imho

I had been searching for the perfect movie headphones for years until I discovered the P7 Wireless! There really is nothing better imo....a warm rich sound, great bass, clear dialog, wide staging and minimal hiss!

The comfort is the only thing that lets them down slightly, although since I've been stretching them over a box they've become much better. I've also been experimenting with different pads and I'll soon be posting my findings!

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,000 of 1,955

I had been searching for the perfect movie headphones for years until I discovered the P7 Wireless! There really is nothing better imo....a warm rich sound, great bass, clear dialog, wide staging and minimal hiss!

The comfort is the only thing that lets them down slightly, although since I've been stretching them over a box they've become much better. I've also been experimenting with different pads and I'll soon be posting my findings!

How are you using them for movies? Direct bluetooth to tv?

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #1,001 of 1,955
they would be perfect with a breatheable and softer headband and replaceable headband, then i would prey to them  ;D 

a different headband for me pls :D

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,002 of 1,955
I tried many headphones: oppo-3 pm; bose qc35; Momentum 2.0 oe; beyerdynamic dt770pro; p7wired; p7wireless. all beautiful headphones. but the concept that has distinguished the p7, was the three-dimensionality, the sound projection, something beyond soundstage, hight, mids and bass ... because it concerns them all simultaneously blending them perfectly .... the others distinguished instead for the bass, middle, treble, isolation .... i can define the p7 as a three-dimensional headphone with a predominance of bass when they are wireless ... imho

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #1,003 of 1,955
How are you using them for movies? Direct bluetooth to tv?

After trying many different transmitters which plug into the 3.5mm headphone port I finally settled on the Avantree Priva II.

I found with other transmitters that they could introduce even more hiss and during some quiet spoken parts could momentarily cut the connection. The Priva II doesn't suffer from these issues.

The Priva II also allows you to use it in battery or power mode so when set to power it can be left in standby meaning I just need to turn the P7's on and they'll connect straight away.

I also found the Priva II to have the best sound quality and the lowest latency. It's Aptx and Low Latency enabled and also allows you to connect and play audio through 2 pairs of headphones at the same time. Although the P7's don't benefit from Low Latency support I still found no noticeable delay which I had experienced with previous transmitters.

The only negative is that the signal strength is not as strong as others I've tested! With a few other transmitters I could have them connected to the back of the tv out of line of sight and they'd work perfectly well without any drop outs. I've found with the Priva II that it benefits from having it sat in line of sight in order for it to work the best (luckily it's very Apple-esque in its appearance so doesn't look out of place sat next to your classy P7's!). Fortunately the P7's have a very strong signal so I've never really had a problem with their connection however when using headphones with a known weak connection the Priva II will tend to show up those weaknesses!

It's also worth mentioning that it's advisable not to have it sat next to/near to your Wireless modem as it will severely effect the signal!

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,004 of 1,955
they would be perfect with a breatheable and softer headband and replaceable headband, then i would prey to them  ;D 

a different headband for me pls :D

The headband doesn't tend to bother me, just the pads! I do have a relatively thick head of hair though so perhaps that's giving me the extra padding! : )

I'm sure there's a way of adding to the headband though and I may try something after I've tackled the ear pads? I've actually got hold of some pads from the wired P7's and cut away the leather and foam just leaving the frame, this allows me to stretch a different pad onto it and still use the magnets to attach it! I bought a pair of pads off EBay for £6.23 originally for the Razer Tiamat 7.1 (see pic) which were a similar dimension but with much thicker padding. Unfortunately the padding was not very soft so actually felt worse than the stock pads! I now want to try the pads from the Sony 1ABT as they are also a similar dimension and I know how amazingly comfortable they are! Although I can also get them cheap on EBay I hear they don't quite use the same foam and I'm worried they might be too firm as well?

In case your interested I noticed the P7 wired & wireless use different foam, the wired bounce right back when squished in but the wireless use more of a memory foam which slowly regains shape. Think I found the wireless more comfortable!

You'll also notice that the internal design is different on the two with the wireless version creating a seal between the driver and the jack port! I can't say I noticed any difference in sound though although technically it should improve the bass as there's more of a seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back