Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #976 of 1,955
hello, I saw that you know the Sony XB950BT, I use headphones not only for music but also for watching movies, so I appreciate the "colorful headphones" that slightly emphasize the sounds, creating an atmosphere with movie effect. in this case, we consider the Sony exceeding p7w? do you have any model to advise more than p7w? Thanks a lot for the answer!

Ps
bose can be a viable solution? soundtrue ae2 wired or qc35 for example

The XB950's were my preferred movie headphones for a long time and I really miss the huge bass these things put out when listening to explosions etc! However the bass could really eat into the mids which caused the mids to sound quite recessed at times, this meant that dialog although very rich and realistic could sound a tad veiled. This is also after carrying out modifications to them by adding sound deadening materials, restricting internal airflow with wool and blocking the external bass port with foam. These mods drastically tightened up the bass and caused the mids to sound far less veiled but they were still far from perfect.

The P7 Wireless are so much better in so many ways. Like the Sonys they also have a lovely warmth and richness that suits movies and dialog but they're bass although still strong does not effect the mids and vocals come through far more clearly.

The P7's also have much better staging and separation helping to give more of a surround like effect.

The one thing I much prefer with the Sonys is the comfort...these things are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn!! The P7's for me required several nights of being stretched over a box before they became comfortable enough to wear over prolonged periods, but even so they still come nowhere close to the Sonys!

I would also recommend the Onkyo H500BT's which sound incredibly similar to the P7's but are On Ear and cost significantly less! The P7's have slightly better separation and staging due to their Over Ear design but the Onkyos still sound great in this area too!

Another older pair of Bluetooth headphones that sound amazing, with some of the best bass I've heard are the Philips Fidelio M2BT's but they have significantly more hiss and very poor Bluetooth connection causing regular drop outs! It's such a shame as these are such great sounding cans!

I've never tried any Bose as they never seemed to have been that well received. I hear they have some of the very best ANC and great comfort levels but they lack any real character, and they've never been known for having a strong bass response.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #977 of 1,955
The XB950's were my preferred movie headphones for a long time and I really miss the huge bass these things put out when listening to explosions etc! However the bass could really eat into the mids which caused the mids to sound quite recessed at times, this meant that dialog although very rich and realistic could sound a tad veiled. This is also after carrying out modifications to them by adding sound deadening materials, restricting internal airflow with wool and blocking the external bass port with foam. These mods drastically tightened up the bass and caused the mids to sound far less veiled but they were still far from perfect.

The P7 Wireless are so much better in so many ways. Like the Sonys they also have a lovely warmth and richness that suits movies and dialog but they're bass although still strong does not effect the mids and vocals come through far more clearly.

The P7's also have much better staging and separation helping to give more of a surround like effect.

The one thing I much prefer with the Sonys is the comfort...these things are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn!! The P7's for me required several nights of being stretched over a box before they became comfortable enough to wear over prolonged periods, but even so they still come nowhere close to the Sonys!

I would also recommend the Onkyo H500BT's which sound incredibly similar to the P7's but are On Ear and cost significantly less! The P7's have slightly better separation and staging due to their Over Ear design but the Onkyos still sound great in this area too!

Another older pair of Bluetooth headphones that sound amazing, with some of the best bass I've heard are the Philips Fidelio M2BT's but they have significantly more hiss and very poor Bluetooth connection causing regular drop outs! It's such a shame as these are such great sounding cans!

I've never tried any Bose as they never seemed to have been that well received. I hear they have some of the very best ANC and great comfort levels but they lack any real character, and they've never been known for having a strong bass response.

thanks for answer! then p7w is the best for movie (between portable headphones)! i never heard fidelio and onkyo, I'm curious. I tried oppo pm-3 and tell you I'm boring almost frustrating! then dt770pro have a huge soundstage, but are less defined ... bose, have the characteristic sound bose, much emphasis (good for movie) but little definition, and sharpness. I've heard good things about Sony for movie, also because many movies are produced using sony's technology .... and sony mdr-1a, a good balanced choice .... but if you believes that p7w is higher, i no want risk a new return with mdr-1a

PS
sorry I talked all the time writing MDR-1a but I was referring to xb950! sorry! I'm considering also MDR-1a for this!

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #978 of 1,955
thanks for answer! then p7w is the best for movie (between portable headphones)! i never heard fidelio and onkyo, I'm curious. I tried oppo pm-3 and tell you I'm boring almost frustrating! then dt770pro have a huge soundstage, but are less defined ... bose, have the characteristic sound bose, much emphasis (good for movie) but little definition, and sharpness. I've heard good things about Sony for movie, also because many movies are produced using sony's technology .... and sony mdr-1a, a good balanced choice .... but if you believes that p7w is higher, i no want risk a new return with mdr-1a

PS
sorry I talked all the time writing MDR-1a but I was referring to xb950! sorry! I'm considering also MDR-1a for this!

The Sony 1ABT's are great sounding too, they have very little hiss and are almost as comfortable as the XB950BT's.

The staging from what I can remember is pretty similar to the P7's and they are just as detailed, but they have a brighter and more attacking signature, and bass which isn't as tight or emphasised as the P7's. The P7's have much more warmth and richness and a deeper tighter bass which suits movies far better! The 1ABT's could end up being ear piercing while watching action movies compared to the warm sound of the P7's!

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #979 of 1,955
The Sony 1ABT's are great sounding too, they have very little hiss and are almost as comfortable as the XB950BT's.

The staging from what I can remember is pretty similar to the P7's and they are just as detailed, but they have a brighter and more attacking signature, and bass which isn't as tight or emphasised as the P7's. The P7's have much more warmth and richness and a deeper tighter bass which suits movies far better! The 1ABT's could end up being ear piercing while watching action movies compared to the warm sound of the P7's!

I  found the 1abt's to be very congested.  Really comfortable though.  The bluetooth and LDAC worked well also.  Just can't connect with them.

Bern

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #980 of 1,955

I at this time are in a mall ... I'm trying the pro beats bass .... fantastic better than p7w !!!!

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #981 of 1,955
just bought a pair B&O H7 in addition to my P7 Wireless, because my Bose Soundlink are not so good anymore after 2 Years and the SQ sucks,, the P7 wireless produce a hot spot on my head, so i could not use them the 3-7h a day, i need Headphones, and i don´t want to kill the accu which is not changeable, so i spend 250 euro for a new pair of H7 in Black ( more comfortable and changeable energy^^) 
well.... i knew the problems with white noise so i did not update the firmware.  the maximum loudness = 60 % of the P7, but it is enough. 
and the SQ is not as good as the P7, its strange because it is complete different, more bright, not that sound stage volume,  the P7 is warmer and with a much better soundstage, i would give the p7 a 9.5/10 in SQ and the H7 a 8/10
i keep both :D the P7 is so nice in SQ 

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #982 of 1,955

okok, let's clear: I asked the guy in the security of best buy, the opportunity to bring my p7w for a "side by side" comparison with other headphones, the choices were: beats pro, bose soundtrue ae2 wired, qc35, JBL / kardon v300bt, sennheiser hd451. After a quick comparison, leaving only qc35 and beats pro (in the face of those who say that the price tag does not count) and I did a more thorough comparison, the outcome was that the p7 are a whole other story! field amplitude, three-dimensionality, clarity, definition, high, low and voice, superior to other, perhaps a little more airy bose in representation, but we talk really insignificant details, and then for the rest always p7w forward. beats really big bass, but then really impecisioni from economic headphones. big manifacture, however. today's comparison afternoon calmed my hunger for headphones, p7w is a headset that fears comparison with anyone. imho

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #983 of 1,955
I didn't check the wall of fame for it, but he clearly stated in his video review that the p7ws are replacing the m2 in the wall of fame while also saying that the p7w might not stay for long Wof too since the competition in that particular market is high.

if he did state that, he changed his mind:

I was within a whisker of putting these headphones on the "Wall of Fame", but with the bass being a tad bloated, comfort not quite exquisite, and having a high price tag I simply couldn't bring myself to recommend them that broadly.

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sumptuous-and-sonorous-bowers-wilkins-p7-page-2#doJ0PqJST4d0lxWf.99

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #984 of 1,955

if he did state that, he changed his mind:

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sumptuous-and-sonorous-bowers-wilkins-p7-page-2#doJ0PqJST4d0lxWf.99

You've got the wrong review there bud. That was for the previous wired model. Here is the new one: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bowers-wilkins-p7-wireless-bluetooth-over-ear-headphones-page-2#ET9Xf7ofEqDFDaCo.97

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #985 of 1,955
You've got the wrong review there bud. That was for the previous wired model. Here is the new one: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bowers-wilkins-p7-wireless-bluetooth-over-ear-headphones-page-2#ET9Xf7ofEqDFDaCo.97

They are in the wall of fame, in the wireless section:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless#eejsEijDURRGo7hV.97

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #987 of 1,955
The wireless sound SO MUCH BETTER than the wired, if the wired were on the wall of fame I would have lost faith in his reviews....

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #988 of 1,955
Picked a pair of these up earlier in the week. Amazing headphones. I've been searching for years for a pair of portable headphones that sound really good both wireless and wired, isolate well, are reasonably comfortable and are built to last. Finally, I've found a set that meet the brief perfectly. Well done, B&W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #989 of 1,955
My return window is almost up and I love my P7s, but just to make sure I made the right choice I stopped at the Apple Store and listened to the B&O H7 and H8. Wow, just no comparison at all to the P7, particularly in their output levels. I had to turn the playback device volume to 100% just to get what a consider a normal listening level (maybe I'm deaf?). The P7 fit the bill at about 50-60% volume on most recordings. I'm happily keeping the P7. I wish they had a replaceable battery and I wish the headband was wider where it contacts my skull, but other than those two nits this is a sublime product.

I also checked out the Bose while I was there. Wow, could they possibly be made of cheaper plastic??? Terrible.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #990 of 1,955
My return window is almost up and I love my P7s, but just to make sure I made the right choice I stopped at the Apple Store and listened to the B&O H7 and H8. Wow, just no comparison at all to the P7, particularly in their output levels. I had to turn the playback device volume to 100% just to get what a consider a normal listening level (maybe I'm deaf?). The P7 fit the bill at about 50-60% volume on most recordings. I'm happily keeping the P7. I wish they had a replaceable battery and I wish the headband was wider where it contacts my skull, but other than those two nits this is a sublime product.

I also checked out the Bose while I was there. Wow, could they possibly be made of cheaper plastic??? Terrible.

P7W win in sound
H9 win in looks, comfort, removable battery, and ANC 

So we need a P7W with ANC  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back