Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Sep 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #61 of 300
  I don't own any Android gear, but IIRC it's hit and miss. With some the pause/play button will work, with others not... 

A few more impressions: they do thoroughly trash the Beyer T51p, which I also have at the moment. The comparison isn't even funny. Except maybe for comfort, as they do clamp seriously, as did the original P5.

De-muddying themselves up little by little...

Agree they leave the T51p in the dust.

I have the t51p currently too and I thought they sounded great as on-ears.  Now I am intrigued if the p5 s2 is so much more superior.  Could either of you give more details about comparing the two?

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #62 of 300
Another thing of note, which is a con, sort of: I didn't look at the specs, but they appear to be quite less efficient than P7. I see that by volume level which has to be higher, but also by the noticeable drain on the AK120 battery... Hmm.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #65 of 300
Headphones have loudness limits to stop deafness. Meh

Another silly rule....if a portable player is supplied with headphones then the portable player is required to have a limiter. Things like a&k don't need to comply as they are not supplied with headphones.

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #66 of 300
Perhaps, but following that reasoning that would also apply for the P7 :wink: However it does sound louder than the new P5, and drains battery less, so I'm inclined to think it's a technical choice from B&W rather than a legal one.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #68 of 300
These just came in yesterday! I'm certainly not as well versed as others here, but I think my input could be helpful. I own the Sennheiser HD 595, Audio Technica M-50, NAD VISO HP50'S. I have owned, or have trailed all of B&W line. I had the P5's since 2010. I have also had experiences with various other headphones. With all of that said, here are my initial impressions. 

Let's not go into detail about the design Let's all just agree that It's the best looking headphone period. 

As many said the soundstage is smaller compared to the larger P7's and the VISO HP50. My short comings of the P7 was that I never found them all that comfortable. It was hard for me to get a good seal, constantly fiddling made them uncomfortable for me, and the Mids were a bit recessed. While the soundstage is smaller than some over the ear headphones, it's not absent! The presentation of the sound, and the separation of the instruments make up for it! One part of the sound signature makes up for it big time are the mids.

The mids are beautifully done. Definitely more upfront, and very detailed. It's still musical but not analytical. This alone makes me like these more than the p7. The treble isn't as glistening as the p7. It's very good, not harsh or tinny at all. Likely done to make compressed and streaming files sound better overall. The bass is quite powerful. Maybe too much so, but it's been said it will mellow out. It goes very deep. In just the 5 or so hours I have on the headphone so far, it's really a pleasure to listen to! If you close your eyes you could imagine two B&W speakers in front of you. Great imaging. 

A few negatives to note. While the pads are more comfortable than the original p5, the clamping is still a dozy for me. It's getting better with time though! I also have to play music louder. I was playing Black Sabbath over my Macbook Pro, and I had to have the volume 100%. Looks like I need to find that USB cord for my Fiio amplifier! I wouldn't say they are super power hungry, just more so than you would expect. 

Overall: This is a solid headphone to me! It's more balanced than the p7 I would say, and blow away the original. The Viso HP50 is more neutral and flat overall, but this carries that sound signature, but does it with the Bowers & Wilkins finesse via the aesthetics and sound signature. I also feel that they are using the exact same driver as the P7, just tuning it a bit different to fit the form factor. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #69 of 300
Great review. Thank you for the information. please let me know how long it takes for the bass to mellow and how long for optimal burn in. Are you in the US? Did you purchase from B&W or in a store. These are not poping up in New York yet. Anyone else have any feedback on these cans?

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #70 of 300

I also have to play music louder. I was playing Black Sabbath over my Macbook Pro, and I had to have the volume 100%. Looks like I need to find that USB cord for my Fiio amplifier! I wouldn't say they are super power hungry, just more so than you would expect. 

Strange for a portable on-ear headphones. But I notice that S2 are no longer advertised as "Mobile Hi-Fi". At home, I like using a small amp/dac, so I'm ok, but on-the-go, I prefer to listen straight from a smartphone, but I worry about using 100% volume out of a smartphone (battery life, distortion)...

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #71 of 300
I'm not sure on the exact time table. I've noticed an improvement in just 4 hours of play. I'm from Ohio. I ordered from thr website. It took 3 business days to arrive. It shipped from ny, so you might get it sooner!

Also the updated iphone control is great!

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #73 of 300
purchased these today from custom cable, the difference to the original is very different, improved bass will burn in and repost after burn in but fantastic fair play out of the box very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back