Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Sep 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #76 of 300
had them going flat out all day, there is a huge difference now, the bass is not clouding the midrange now, these are a very good set of cans, will beat the momentums im my apinion , secret is run them loud for a good while. fair play excellent

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #77 of 300
Is it worth buying the B&W P5 P2 when I have the first generation already?

Do mind that I also own the Shure SE846 which is vastly superior to the B&W P7 in pretty much all area's. I still have a soft spot for the B&W P5 since it was my first "expensive" headphone and I think it looks quite sexy. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #78 of 300
  Is it worth buying the B&W P5 P2 when I have the first generation already?

Do mind that I also own the Shure SE846 which is vastly superior to the B&W P7 in pretty much all area's. I still have a soft spot for the B&W P5 since it was my first "expensive" headphone and I think it looks quite sexy. 

Based on impression of those who have both P5 versions, Series 2 version is definitely an improvement over the original P5 toward a direction of P7 flagship.  B&W headphones are not audiophile quality headphones due to their fun sound signature (but they are for sure luxury quality headphones), so comparison to 846 is not a good decision factor.  If you have a way to audition P5 S2, I would suggest bringing your original P5 and doing a/b comparison with your favorite tracks; I'm sure Apple stores or Best Buy will have it in stock soon.  It's all a matter of personal preference
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #79 of 300
I'm still shocked at how loud I have to play these on some recordings to hear it. Someone mentioned these EU limits on sound. I'm from the states and ordered on their website, is there a chance of the Apple Store USA version will be louder? Or is it just more power hungry than say the original p5?

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #80 of 300
I'm still shocked at how loud I have to play these on some recordings to hear it. Someone mentioned these EU limits on sound. I'm from the states and ordered on their website, is there a chance of the Apple Store USA version will be louder? Or is it just more power hungry than say the original p5?

I have P5 from B&W (US) as well, and it takes A LOT of power to drive these.  Received them yesterday, only got 10hrs of burn in, so I'm still cooking these puppies.  I'm very surprised as well because P7 doesn't require as much power.  What I noticed, you need to reach a specific volume to get to a comfortable listening level, and then you need to push it harder to bring in more details while the overall volume level doesn't go up linearly.  Don't get me wrong, these sound fantastic, but I'm starting to think they will benefit more from a good portable amp.  So, while I'm working on my review, I will have to through in E11k or C5 to get the best out of these.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #82 of 300
I've notied the p7 ran lower in volume than the original p5. So it makes sense that this would. So this volume limit wouldn't have any effect the headphone I bought??

I will let you know as soon as (of if) I hear back from my B&W contact (just pinged them with this question).  I believe there is a different standard in US vs EU, probably for ear safety reasons.  I even have seen some portable dac/amps with a volume limiter for EU versions, example Beyer A200p - output of 1.7Vrms for US and 150mVrms for EU.  To me, the logic behind this - you can't make P5 sound too loud driving from HO of smartphone or mp3 player or default low gain of DAP.  Again, I'm just speculating, so perhaps if someone has more insights about EU standards, please chime in.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #83 of 300
While the p7 and the new p5 had the same impendance, the sensitivity of the p7 is 111 where as its 108on the p5. That probably explains why it's a notch lower in volume. It's not bad though! Our versions are likely not volume capped!

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #84 of 300
I will let you know as soon as (of if) I hear back from my B&W contact (just pinged them with this question).  I believe there is a different standard in US vs EU, probably for ear safety reasons.  I even have seen some portable dac/amps with a volume limiter for EU versions, example Beyer A200p - output of 1.7Vrms for US and 150mVrms for EU.  To me, the logic behind this - you can't make P5 sound too loud driving from HO of smartphone or mp3 player or default low gain of DAP.  Again, I'm just speculating, so perhaps if someone has more insights about EU standards, please chime in.
as I said previously all manufacturers are now under guidance of the eu directive that limits audio volume. Although it's hard for headphone manufacturers to limit they need to do all they can to help with the 85db regulation imposed. :frowning2:

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #86 of 300
as I said previously all manufacturers are now under guidance of the eu directive that limits audio volume. Although it's hard for headphone manufacturers to limit they need to do all they can to help with the 85db regulation imposed. :frowning2:

Nice loophole for portable headphone amp manufacturers to do more business lol!!!  Though only listened for 5-10min during burn in test break, I guess I was enjoying additional details in sound by pushing volume into saturation region or something like that.  Will do actual listening tonight using my Cayin C5.  Btw, I also got their series 2 version of C5 and don't recall pushing volume too high.

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #87 of 300
I understand the guidelines for the eu, but because we ordered them through the USA website would we have these restrictions?

I don't think it's practical for them to make different version for different markets, though I would imagine they sell bulk of their products in US anyway (Apple and Best Buy).

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #88 of 300

But it doesn't really make sense on that one, since the P7 by the same token would also be capped. I bought both P7 & new P5 from the UK, so they'd both be victim of said regulation, and despite that, P7 sound quite a bit higher in volume than the new P5.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #89 of 300
I am anxious to give these Series 2 a try. I love the B & W headphones.

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #90 of 300
I'm gong to just leave this here...  Apologies for the quality of the image...  iPhone shot with some quick post edits in the Photos app :p
 ​

Expect some upcoming impressions and comparisons to the P7 and and ThinkSound On-1 as they are comparable and at the same price bracket (300 dollars).  Right now, expect a fun, upbeat modern B&W sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back