Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 2, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #632 of 2,022
It might but I dont think the pads are the only changes, there's a new secondary resonance chamber and I think the drive units are a new design?
at show room both had same specs

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #634 of 2,022
P7 and P7W I auditioned sounded massively different, both plugged in with wire obviously. The new P7W has more and better quality low frequency imho.

Agree 100% - I originally auditioned the old P7 wired for around an hour as the shop only had one set of the new P7W and they were not keen to open them, they told me the P7 wired they had for demo sound the same.
I left the shop without buying - not very impressed by them. 
Two weeks later I bought a set of P7 wireless as they were on 20% discount and the sound quality is totally different to the original P7's - I love these P7W's they are really superb in quality of construction as well as audio heaven :)

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #637 of 2,022
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #638 of 2,022
Ah thanks. I'd use the p9 while working . Are the p9 more comfortable?
I find I get tired from the P7W after an hour, start feeling the clamping force. And the whole more bass thing doesn't help :)))

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #639 of 2,022
I find I get tired from the P7W after an hour, start feeling the clamping force. And the whole more bass thing doesn't help :)))
P9 is super comfortable but feels like 70% more heavier.if they made the p9 for on the go, meaning lighter hands down ill buy it now.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #640 of 2,022
  It might but I dont think the pads are the only changes, there's a new secondary resonance chamber and I think the drive units are a new design?

I believe that is correct as well. The wireless certainly sounds better according to everybody as well as in my brief experience with both. I bought the wired by accident and had it for one day.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #641 of 2,022
my opinion the P9 is 30% better than the P7. But for me too big for on the go.

Sounds exactly how I heard it and thought about the P9.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #642 of 2,022
I find I get tired from the P7W after an hour, start feeling the clamping force. And the whole more bass thing doesn't help
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Use a gentle eq cut for the bass hump, but really, I didn't find the bass hump much different than on the P9. The P9 was just a little more refined and had superb mid range.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #643 of 2,022
I have been enjoying my P9s last few weeks and have grown very fond of the sound signature across genres. While listening, I feel marked difference between my iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone in that order. Most of my listening is on the go listening to Apple Music so iPhone output is most important for me.

My question is about improving the output out of my iPhone in order to maximise the potential without hampering the mobility aspect. I am aware of the lightning cable coming early next year and I am torn between audio quest dragonfly black (preferably) or red (if markedly difference for these headphones). Anyone use this setup and what are your thoughts? I am new to this but believe that Reds are more for difficult to drive headphones with high impedance and low sensitivity which I believe is not the case with P9s. I have listened to chord Mojos at the store and loved the sound but not the idea of lugging it around with my phone.

So what do you guys suggest, shall I go ahead with one of these amps or wait for free lightning cable?
I don't want to spend money now and regret when lightning cable comes out for free and I get the same performance.

Any guidance or suggestion will he highly appreciated. Thanks

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #644 of 2,022
Hard to say how good the lighting dac will be from b&W
I had a new dragonfly black and a peach tree dac for a few days on loan while waiting for my dragonfly red to arrive.
The black sounded ok from the iPhone but the red sounds quite a bit fuller and more spacious compared to black. Also the volume control on red infinitely better compared to black.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #645 of 2,022
Hard to say how good the lighting dac will be from b&W
I had a new dragonfly black and a peach tree dac for a few days on loan while waiting for my dragonfly red to arrive.
The black sounded ok from the iPhone but the red sounds quite a bit fuller and more spacious compared to black. Also the volume control on red infinitely better compared to black.

Thanks for your reply.  Could you please elaborate about the volume control on the Red?  And I am right in saying that both the DFs are DACs with no amp build in unlike Mojo? So effectively, same as lightning cable expected next year.

I  feel so torn right now, while, I can't wait to improve the sound of my P9s but at the same time don't want to be kicking myself if lightning cable is as good as these DFs.  But then, DFs should be good with my other non-lightning headphones/IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back