Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 22, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #601 of 2,022
Thanks everyone for the reviews and the feedback. The P9 is currently $899 ($100 off), debating whether to buy it. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #603 of 2,022
  That is the original MSRP and amazon is just doing the typical x amount of $ off like all the listings say. I heard some people got them for cheaper on this thread

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification, for some reason I thought the P9 was listed as $999.

Anyways, I got an email from B&W announcing 20% off select headphones. But now I see that it starts Thanksgiving Day. Not sure if the P9 will be included though.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #604 of 2,022
I think that mobile headsets often have a lower mid boost to compete with ambient sound leaking in.

Ever heard the audio term "one-note bass"? The P9 ultimately defines it. Example, "Ride Across The River" by Dire Straits. The bass notes should be well defined, with a precise stop/start. With the P9, it's one big blob. Very unfortunate, because the rest of the spectrum sounds very nice.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #605 of 2,022

Ever heard the audio term "one-note bass"? The P9 ultimately defines it. Example, "Ride Across The River" by Dire Straits. The bass notes should be well defined, with a precise stop/start. With the P9, it's one big blob. Very unfortunate, because the rest of the spectrum sounds very nice.

My experience with the P9's is that the definition of the bass is very much defined by the quality of the recording. In the tracks I've heard, music mastered with an exaggerated bass will not sound well defined while other music will still have an elevated bass from the signature of the headphones but the bass will be rich and well defined.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #606 of 2,022
  My experience with the P9's is that the definition of the bass is very much defined by the quality of the recording. In the tracks I've heard, music mastered with an exaggerated bass will not sound well defined while other music will still have an elevated bass from the signature of the headphones but the bass will be rich and well defined.

Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" Japanese SACD....I think the recording is up to snuff.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #608 of 2,022

Interesting, on the P7W this very recording's bass line sounds nice and defined. Definitely not one-note.

Probably because it's not the P9...

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #610 of 2,022

Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" Japanese SACD....I think the recording is up to snuff.

Yes, that is also one of my favourite test tracks for sure.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #611 of 2,022

Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

I brought up the P7W because someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they generally sound similar.
Curious what player/dac are you using with this recording and the P9?

I have the P7 and it does not have the bulge in the upper bass that I hear in the P9. Maybe I can open it up and stuff some Fiberloft in the housings.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #612 of 2,022
I just loathe one note bass... I hope a headphone this pricy doesn't have it. For this price, you can buy the best bass producing headphone ever, Fostex TH900. I admit it has strident treble, however.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #613 of 2,022
you ruined it for me lol. my money's already tied up into the zmf eikon but I did still want to take a trip to buffalo to hear these. You just saved me some gas money. I'll probably still do my yearly "income tax road trip to see what's new on the audiophile market" road trip in February though.ill also be looking to buy a pair of p7s on sale around that time for ......my wife.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #615 of 2,022
  I just loathe one note bass... I hope a headphone this pricy doesn't have it. For this price, you can buy the best bass producing headphone ever, Fostex TH900. I admit it has strident treble, however.

Quote:
you ruined it for me lol. my money's already tied up into the zmf eikon but I did still want to take a trip to buffalo to hear these. You just saved me some gas money. I'll probably still do my yearly "income tax road trip to see what's new on the audiophile market" road trip in February though.ill also be looking to buy a pair of p7s on sale around that time for ......my wife.

Don't take my word for it. But it is there, I can assure you. How it will affect others, I cannot say.

Just to be clear, you have the P7 or the P7(Wireless) ?
When I listened to the regular P7 at the store it has a lot less bass compared to P7W for some reason.

It's the regular wired P7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back