Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 12, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #571 of 2,022
  Compared to other headphones in the $200-1000+  range it just sounded very congested in the bass. Very bloated.
Also the midrange was VERY honky and cavernous sounding... simply not deserving of the price tag.

And I mean cavernous like I'm DEFINITELY listening to a closed-back headphone kind of sound, and it's being choked up somewhere, maybe with a peak in the 500-2000Khz range.

The last time I felt this way about a headphone regarding the bass (not the mids and closed-sound) was the Nighthawk, but people were very quick to comment that it was normal, and these kind of drivers absolutely needed some burn in to clear up, after which they would sound smooth and not bloated at all.
From what I gather, the P9 also has a kind of 'suspension' or 'surround' on the diaphragm similar to the Nighthawk, so now I'm wondering if someone has experienced something similar.

That's better.

Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes quite a while, before one comes to terms with the true sound of a piece of gear. I realize this is hard to do in a quick five-minute audition, but to do a short demo, then proclaim "it sucks" is not necessarily constructive. I can hear an upper-bass excess for sure, but really only after coming from something that is lean in that area. So much of what we perceive is actually just contrast, and nothing to do with how things sound in real life, which is what gear should emulate.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #572 of 2,022
Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes quite a while, before one comes to terms with the true sound of a piece of gear. 

This doesn't negate the value of a quick audition.
In fact listening longer to a single piece of equipment only allows your brain to 'adjust' to the sound an ignore the faults.

I realize this is hard to do in a quick five-minute audition, but to do a short demo, then proclaim "it sucks" is not necessarily constructive.

Who said it was a quick five minute audition? 
blink.gif

So much of what we perceive is actually just contrast, and nothing to do with how things sound in real life, which is what gear should emulate.

Are you suggesting that I don't know what real life sounds like?

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #573 of 2,022
The P9 mfi lightening cable is just a cable right? It does not have a sophisticated DAC and Amp built into it like the Audeze EL8 TITANIUM?

I thought there is going to be a DAC/AMP cable for the P9, or maybe this is just a rumour?

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #574 of 2,022
The P9 mfi lightening cable is just a cable right? It does not have a sophisticated DAC and Amp built into it like the Audeze EL8 TITANIUM?

I thought there is going to be a DAC/AMP cable for the P9, or maybe this is just a rumour?

My understanding is that it has a DAC/amp in it just like the Audeze Cipher cable.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #577 of 2,022
Hi everyone. New member here and nice to meet you all. I auditioned yesterday the P7 Wireless and the P9's. Connected to my Sony Z3 I will start with the P7's. Nice sound, but a bit too bright for my liking. Was using Bluetooth aptx. Now onto the P9's and all I can say is wow. The sound from these headphones is amazing and even without a headphone day/amp attached my Sony Z3 seemed to be able to drive them. However at 700.00 here in the UK they are very expensive headphones and are double the price of the P7's. Is the sound from the P9's twice as good as the p7's. Not entirely sure to be honest. Secondly the colour of the P9's bothers me as I would definitely prefer them in black. Final point is that to get the best out of them I will need to purchase the Chord Mojo. So add another 400.00 for that! Just to add that I am a massive Bowers & Wilkins fan myself and own many of their products. In short the P9's are the best headphones I have ever heard but is the price of them really justified. That is the bit that I'm having trouble with.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #578 of 2,022
.... In short the P9's are the best headphones I have ever heard but is the price of them really justified. That is the bit that I'm having trouble with.

That is always the question, only you can know the answer. The real problem is that right now there are so many amazing choices out there vying for our money. As a B&W fan myself I would really want the company to produce a flagship, non-mobile headphone with a nice 50mm driver. That would be something that would get my attention. As it stands I'm rather enjoying the P7 wireless and it seems that most around here with the P9 are also enjoying them. Let us know what you decide and welcome to posting on head-fi, hopefully you remain active. Cheers.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #579 of 2,022
Hi everyone. New member here and nice to meet you all. I auditioned yesterday the P7 Wireless and the P9's. Connected to my Sony Z3 I will start with the P7's. Nice sound, but a bit too bright for my liking. Was using Bluetooth aptx. Now onto the P9's and all I can say is wow. The sound from these headphones is amazing and even without a headphone day/amp attached my Sony Z3 seemed to be able to drive them. However at 700.00 here in the UK they are very expensive headphones and are double the price of the P7's. Is the sound from the P9's twice as good as the p7's. Not entirely sure to be honest. Secondly the colour of the P9's bothers me as I would definitely prefer them in black. Final point is that to get the best out of them I will need to purchase the Chord Mojo. So add another 400.00 for that! Just to add that I am a massive Bowers & Wilkins fan myself and own many of their products. In short the P9's are the best headphones I have ever heard but is the price of them really justified. That is the bit that I'm having trouble with.

The Chord Mojo is worth every penny and has a DAC that resolves better than many £1000plus Dac's. It will transform your headphone experience.
Is the P9 MORE comfortable than the P7 and how is the sub base?

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #580 of 2,022
The Chord Mojo is worth every penny and has a DAC that resolves better than many £1000plus Dac's. It will transform your headphone experience.

Hi Soundizer, nice to meet you. Thanks for the info re Chord Mojo. Will definitely purchase it when I buy the P9's. With regards to comfort, it's a difficult one to answer as I did not spend long enough with either the P7 or the P9's. With regards to sound and bass, the P9 imho is in another league. The P9 has a much wider soundstage, with more depth and the bass/treble is spot on. The P7's still sound good, but l just found them a tad bright. Best thing you can do is have a demo and see what you think.
I'm now wondering though if B&W will release a black version of the P9, or a wireless version. Let's see what 2017 brings
regular_smile .gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #581 of 2,022
  That is always the question, only you can know the answer. The real problem is that right now there are so many amazing choices out there vying for our money. As a B&W fan myself I would really want the company to produce a flagship, non-mobile headphone with a nice 50mm driver. That would be something that would get my attention. As it stands I'm rather enjoying the P7 wireless and it seems that most around here with the P9 are also enjoying them. Let us know what you decide and welcome to posting on head-fi, hopefully you remain active. Cheers.

Hi Sonic Defender, nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome. Good to hear that you are enjoying your P7's. I think I will need to demo a bit more and then make up my mind as to whether I go for the P7 or the P9. As mentioned earlier, had it not been for the colour of the P9's I might have bought them yesterday. Will keep you all updated
normal_smile .gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #582 of 2,022

Hi Soundizer, nice to meet you. Thanks for the info re Chord Mojo. Will definitely purchase it when I buy the P9's. With regards to comfort, it's a difficult one to answer as I did not spend long enough with either the P7 or the P9's. With regards to sound and bass, the P9 imho is in another league. The P9 has a much wider soundstage, with more depth and the bass/treble is spot on. The P7's still sound good, but l just found them a tad bright. Best thing you can do is have a demo and see what you think.
I'm now wondering though if B&W will release a black version of the P9, or a wireless version. Let's see what 2017 brings
regular_smile%20.gif

I recommend holding until end of November which is when the New Audioquest Nightowl and Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon should be available. They will be about 100USD Less than the P9, but really are comparable to the very best headphones available today.

THE Nightowl is closed and the Nighthawk Carbon are semi-open.

Listen to them before buying the P9's if you can.

The Mojo drives them ALL fluently.

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #583 of 2,022
I have been listening to P9 since released and purchased it in Singapore from B & W retail end of last month, October 2916. Since then, I have been listening to it during weekend, Saturday night approx. 3 hours each night. I personally found it is quite subjective to music source such as high format in good recording output. Yes I do find the bass hump is there during listening but with good source of materials, it actually a good piece for listening to. Compared to P7 wired, P9 is producing another type of class to listening. Base signature is the same but separation in playing is different from each other. Of course as I had mentioned, it is very subject to source played. It is my own opinions after been listening to it about 3 weekend. Cheers...:grin: :grin:

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #585 of 2,022
I recommend holding until end of November which is when the New Audioquest Nightowl and Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon should be available. They will be about 100USD Less than the P9, but really are comparable to the very best headphones available today.

THE Nightowl is closed and the Nighthawk Carbon are semi-open.

Listen to them before buying the P9's if you can.

The Mojo drives them ALL fluently.

Hi Soundizer, thanks for the info. Will try to have a listen to both headphones, provided I can find a dealer nearby who has them on demo
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back