Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 24, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #616 of 2,022

Just to be clear, you have the P7 or the P7(Wireless) ?
When I listened to the regular P7 at the store it has a lot less bass compared to P7W for some reason.

The P7 wireless does indeed posses a similar bass signature to the P9, at least as far as I can tell, and it does differ from the P7 wired going by memory. The P7W has some design differences, mostly in the pads which I understand provided a different tuning opportunity for the designers. How different I didn't have enough time to compare, but I did find the P7 and P9 fairly similar. However, I'm not sure about the one note bass aspect, I find the P7 sounds pretty darn good in that respect. I'm quite certain it isn't detailed, reference level bass articulation, but it is still very nice and given the design goal as a portable, I think the bass quality is pretty solid.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #617 of 2,022
  The P7 wireless does indeed posses a similar bass signature to the P9, at least as far as I can tell, and it does differ from the P7 wired going by memory. The P7W has some design differences, mostly in the pads which I understand provided a different tuning opportunity for the designers. How different I didn't have enough time to compare, but I did find the P7 and P9 fairly similar. However, I'm not sure about the one note bass aspect, I find the P7 sounds pretty darn good in that respect. I'm quite certain it isn't detailed, reference level bass articulation, but it is still very nice and given the design goal as a portable, I think the bass quality is pretty solid.

I've not heard the P7W, but as far as the P9 goes, the bass might be likened to a car radio system. Regardless of how deep or what range of bass a particular song might have, the area of 100-200 hZ is always present.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #618 of 2,022

I've not heard the P7W, but as far as the P9 goes, the bass might be likened to a car radio system. Regardless of how deep or what range of bass a particular song might have, the area of 100-200 hZ is always present.

So do you find it is ultimately unviable, or an unenjoyable signature, or do you find it works for you at least sometimes? I thought for a while that you were posting saying that the signature was growing on you? And yes, the P7 wireless is essentially the same in that way, not sure if the exact range is emphasized, but I suspect it is quite similar.

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #619 of 2,022
  So do you find it is ultimately unviable, or an unenjoyable signature, or do you find it works for you at least sometimes? I thought for a while that you were posting saying that the signature was growing on you? And yes, the P7 wireless is essentially the same in that way, not sure if the exact range is emphasized, but I suspect it is quite similar.

I love the headphone, except for that boom effect in the upper bass (it flows into the lower midrange as well). It's like a beautiful girl with a wart on her nose.....once you notice it, you can't 'unsee" it.

I spent a few hours listening last night and realized that if that bass/lower mid enhancement was not there, the P9 would be too bright. So it's almost like you put too much sugar in your chocolate cake mix, so you compensated by dumping more cocoa in.

Having said all that, the amount of inner detail is quite amazing. And listening to Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" (Joni with orchestral accompaniment) was very satisfying, like being there. If I close my eyes and imagine loudspeakers in a room, the P9 sounds fairly believable. But if there is a particular signature "built into" a headphone, I know I will eventually get tired. It's always been that way. However that doesn't mean that it can't be fun.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #621 of 2,022

I love the headphone, except for that boom effect in the upper bass (it flows into the lower midrange as well). It's like a beautiful girl with a wart on her nose.....once you notice it, you can't 'unsee" it.

I spent a few hours listening last night and realized that if that bass/lower mid enhancement was not there, the P9 would be too bright. So it's almost like you put too much sugar in your chocolate cake mix, so you compensated by dumping more cocoa in.

Having said all that, the amount of inner detail is quite amazing. And listening to Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" (Joni with orchestral accompaniment) was very satisfying, like being there. If I close my eyes and imagine loudspeakers in a room, the P9 sounds fairly believable. But if there is a particular signature "built into" a headphone, I know I will eventually get tired. It's always been that way. However that doesn't mean that it can't be fun.

Great answer, and perfectly understandable.

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #622 of 2,022

Hey are the b&w p9 better then the Audeze lcd as far as sound quality?

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #623 of 2,022

That's kind of like asking if the ride of a Porsche 911 Carrera is better than that of a Lincoln Town Car. It's about preference.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #625 of 2,022

That's kind of like asking if the ride of a Porsche 911 Carrera is better than that of a Lincoln Town Car. It's about preference.

May be not a Porche 911 but how about toyota lexus 
bigsmile_face.gif
, myself interested in finding out if anyone has compared the Audeze EL-8 Titanium with B&W P9 since both are in the same price range. I two important things to consider if mid-range and details are similar or bettter and if the Treble rolled off on P9.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #626 of 2,022
Trying to break in my pair - I am still at around 20-30 hours and things are improving a lot. I think there is quite a big +ve difference to the P7 - which are my work headphones at the moment. 

A few points:

1) These require quality audio and recordings. There is notable difference going from Spotify to Tidal to High Def Audio - as it should be.

2) They sound better when driven directly from my Mac air compared to when driven directly by my iphone 7 plus. I guess this is to be expected?

3) Even though these are excellent when driven directly by a pc/mobile I think there will be quite difference when an amp/dac is added in the picture. I cannot wait to get my dragonfly red but also get a proper desktop headphone amp. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #627 of 2,022
Trying to break in my pair - I am still at around 20-30 hours and things are improving a lot. I think there is quite a big +ve difference to the P7 - which are my work headphones at the moment. 

A few points:

1) These require quality audio and recordings. There is notable difference going from Spotify to Tidal to High Def Audio - as it should be.

2) They sound better when driven directly from my Mac air compared to when driven directly by my iphone 7 plus. I guess this is to be expected?

3) Even though these are excellent when driven directly by a pc/mobile I think there will be quite difference when an amp/dac is added in the picture. I cannot wait to get my dragonfly red but also get a proper desktop headphone amp. 

Totally agreed with the source of recording. High quality of source is the baseline which is needed for it.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #629 of 2,022
So if one changes the pads from the p7 wired to the p7 wireless will that do? Will that increase the bass?

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #630 of 2,022
So if one changes the pads from the p7 wired to the p7 wireless will that do? Will that increase the bass?

I think it will improve the quality of the bass as both have similar amplitude, but by memory and in comparison the P7 wired has sloppier bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back