Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 3, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #646 of 2,022
Of course there is an amp in DF. How else would it make any sound :)
Following your logic then all dacs sound the same?
You can wait a month or two for the lighting cable and compare
I think the df red would sound better then the cable because it has more room for a nicer dac chip and amp.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #647 of 2,022
I was under the impression that the amps built in to the phone or any other source for that matter is used but good to know.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #648 of 2,022
I was under the impression that the amps built in to the phone or any other source for that matter is used but good to know.

No, when connecting via Lightning/USB the output only digital in this case, then it's the DAC's job to convert it to analog (hence the name "digital to analog converter".  I think some dacs maybe doing the pre-amplification in the digital domain, others in the analog, I'm not sure.
But at the end the analog signal is amplified to drive your speakers or headphones.
DR red claims to
  1. Bit-perfect digital volume control

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #649 of 2,022
No, when connecting via Lightning/USB the output only digital in this case, then it's the DAC's job to convert it to analog (hence the name "digital to analog converter".  I think some dacs maybe doing the pre-amplification in the digital domain, others in the analog, I'm not sure.
But at the end the analog signal is amplified to drive your speakers or headphones.
DR red claims to
  1. Bit-perfect digital volume control

Thanks, that's good to know. I have been widening my horizon ever since I got here and I am loving it.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #650 of 2,022
I love my p9 compared to the p7 the p9 has a more balanced sound(apart from the heavy bass). I find the p7 sound is more V shaped partly because the p9 do a better job with the mids. The thing that I like the most is that if you just want to work, read, concentrate, etc.. this headphones just disappear and let you enjoy the music, I think that is because of their warm and darker sound signature.

I can say they do improve a lot with 50+ hr break in. Using them with my portable work setup based on Macbook,Audirvana(tidal integration), Chord Mojo, AQ Cinnamon micro USB and b&w p9.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #651 of 2,022
I love my p9 compared to the p7 the p9 has a more balanced sound(apart from the heavy bass). I find the p7 sound is more V shaped partly because the p9 do a better job with the mids. The thing that I like the most is that if you just want to work, read, concentrate, etc.. this headphones just disappear and let you enjoy the music, I think that is because of their warm and darker sound signature.

I can say they do improve a lot with 50+ hr break in. Using them with my portable work setup based on Macbook,Audirvana(tidal integration), Chord Mojo, AQ Cinnamon micro USB and b&w p9.
P9 is great but one issue, not as portable.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #653 of 2,022
Yeah I guess I have wrong definition of portable :)!  I mean home to office in a briefcase "portable"
In that case Ill get the P9. In my case its 3 hr commute by foot, trains, buses, taxi.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #654 of 2,022
I have been enjoying my P9s last few weeks and have grown very fond of the sound signature across genres. While listening, I feel marked difference between my iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone in that order. Most of my listening is on the go listening to Apple Music so iPhone output is most important for me.

My question is about improving the output out of my iPhone in order to maximise the potential without hampering the mobility aspect. I am aware of the lightning cable coming early next year and I am torn between audio quest dragonfly black (preferably) or red (if markedly difference for these headphones). Anyone use this setup and what are your thoughts? I am new to this but believe that Reds are more for difficult to drive headphones with high impedance and low sensitivity which I believe is not the case with P9s. I have listened to chord Mojos at the store and loved the sound but not the idea of lugging it around with my phone.

So what do you guys suggest, shall I go ahead with one of these amps or wait for free lightning cable?
I don't want to spend money now and regret when lightning cable comes out for free and I get the same performance.

Any guidance or suggestion will he highly appreciated. Thanks

Wait for the lighting cable first before investment. :blush:

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #656 of 2,022
Wait for the lighting cable first before investment. :blush:

That's the logical thing to do but I couldn't resist and bought my DF Red this morning.  But I will be using this with other headphones/IEMs too so hopefully it won't prove to be a frivolous investment.  Haven't had a chance to listen to it at great length yet but from what I have I am a very happy man :)

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #657 of 2,022

That's the logical thing to do but I couldn't resist and bought my DF Red this morning.  But I will be using this with other headphones/IEMs too so hopefully it won't prove to be a frivolous investment.  Haven't had a chance to listen to it at great length yet but from what I have I am a very happy man :)

The dragon fly red is a great investment always! :)

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #658 of 2,022
I have been enjoying my P9s last few weeks and have grown very fond of the sound signature across genres. While listening, I feel marked difference between my iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone in that order. Most of my listening is on the go listening to Apple Music so iPhone output is most important for me.

My question is about improving the output out of my iPhone in order to maximise the potential without hampering the mobility aspect. I am aware of the lightning cable coming early next year and I am torn between audio quest dragonfly black (preferably) or red (if markedly difference for these headphones). Anyone use this setup and what are your thoughts? I am new to this but believe that Reds are more for difficult to drive headphones with high impedance and low sensitivity which I believe is not the case with P9s. I have listened to chord Mojos at the store and loved the sound but not the idea of lugging it around with my phone.

So what do you guys suggest, shall I go ahead with one of these amps or wait for free lightning cable?
I don't want to spend money now and regret when lightning cable comes out for free and I get the same performance.

Any guidance or suggestion will he highly appreciated. Thanks

After the CES 2017, CHORD will change the game once more with the new module for the Mojo. So only one Mojocase in the pocket.
From the words of John Frank, I think that Chord had placed SDcard, bluetooth APTX, USB and streaming in this new little box.
We will see.

When the P9 will exist in black, I will buy one. I am a fan of B&W and Chord. Maybe in few weeks, i could connect a P9 to my Dave and give you my impressions.

In october, i had compared my Oppo PM3" improved with a wireworld nano eclipse platinum cable" with the P9 on the Mojo.
The P9 sound more like an FULL-SIZE OPEN headphone and the voices are more natural.
I had recognised the b&W sound that i love since 1979.
The minus: Actually, it's not possible to change the cable of the P9 because B&W places a crazy connector.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #659 of 2,022
Hallo, where I live they have both the P7 and the P9, and the Nighthawk at the store.

There is no doubt that to my ears the P9 is the best of the bunch, the sound is fuller but at the same time it is easier to hear the different details. I used to own the P7, but it was replaced by a pair of Fostex th-x00, I use a Mojo to drive them. When the Lighting cable becomes available I will compare the P9 to the Fostex th-x00 driven by the Mojo—I hope the P9 will be better, I am a little annoyed by the many cables and boxes—and the Mojo must be charged. If the P9 together with the lighting cable can replace my current setup it will be happy days

Kind regards Morten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back