Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #3,031 of 5,138
Thank you!
I intend to use my PX8 (when they finally arrive.....) with my iMac and a Creative BT W4 but wanted to know if they can be used without any issues.
I’m on a long train journey tomorrow with t MacBook, so will give them a good demo then. For the moment, I’m running the PX8s in a bit. Been playing now for about 16 hrs , so should be on about 30 odd by the time I use them.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #3,032 of 5,138
I’m on a long train journey tomorrow with t MacBook, so will give them a good demo then. For the moment, I’m running the PX8s in a bit. Been playing now for about 16 hrs , so should be on about 30 odd by the time I use them.
Have a safe trip!
Happy listening!

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #3,035 of 5,138
while my other cans, Airpods Max, PX8 and MW65 all feel much lower profile

Airpods Max? They stand out like a sore thumb, and are uglier than those deep sea fish after they are taken out of the water :wink:

As for Bathys, I agree that PX8 have a nicer form factor for outside, but the Focals are not that bad either. LED's can be switched off, so that's a non argument(i like them tho). Than again I've worn th610 outside so I'm probably less self conscious than most.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #3,036 of 5,138
Thank you!
I intend to use my PX8 (when they finally arrive.....) with my iMac and a Creative BT W4 but wanted to know if they can be used without any issues.
Well, I used the PX8 and Creative BTW4 pairing today, quite a bit (listening to them now, connected to my Macbook Pro). The Creative has been connected to my S22U, Ipad Air and Macbook Pro, all without any real difficulties. There has been no loss of signal and the Creative is glowing purple to show APT-X Adaptive is engaged. Works very well. Train journey of nearly 4hrs 30 mins - very impressed with the SQ and noise cancelling abilities of the PX8. No jumps or shudders, despite the train doing both. Warming to the sound signature much more than my first time of ownership - enjoying the luxurious sheen they give to female vocalists in particular.

It is annoying that the B&W Music app currently does not display the codec that is being used (something the FOCAL app does, and something the older B&W headphone app did, at least for the Pi7s). Hopefully something B&W can add in a software update. Also, my PX8s are showing software version 1.0.0., suggesting there has yet to be any firmware updates for the PX8 (only mentioning it as I noted that the Bathys was on v1..4.sth when I returned them).

One bit of related news (at least here in the UK): the Pi7 and Pi5 s2 are due to go on sale tomorrow. I have received an offer code as a registered owner of the original Pi7s to buy a new pair at a substantial reduction. Key features, from what I can tell from the email are that the S2 uses the Music app, now have 5hrs battery life and quick charge of 2hrs from 15 mins charging, a better antenna design for connectivity and some new colour options (inc midnight blue). Tomorrow morning (when they go on sale) will see whether I am tempted to pick them up. Apologies - can't share the code as it is a single-use, single unit code as per the B&W email.

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #3,037 of 5,138
I am glad the PX8 are working out for you. I was used to the sound signature of the PX8 within 10 minutes. Slight EQ adjustment and now I just leave them alone. I got to recognize the beep sound they make when you have the ANC in bypass, and other 2 settings without looking at the app.

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #3,038 of 5,138
Well, I used the PX8 and Creative BTW4 pairing today, quite a bit (listening to them now, connected to my Macbook Pro). The Creative has been connected to my S22U, Ipad Air and Macbook Pro, all without any real difficulties. There has been no loss of signal and the Creative is glowing purple to show APT-X Adaptive is engaged. Works very well. Train journey of nearly 4hrs 30 mins - very impressed with the SQ and noise cancelling abilities of the PX8. No jumps or shudders, despite the train doing both. Warming to the sound signature much more than my first time of ownership - enjoying the luxurious sheen they give to female vocalists in particular.

It is annoying that the B&W Music app currently does not display the codec that is being used (something the FOCAL app does, and something the older B&W headphone app did, at least for the Pi7s). Hopefully something B&W can add in a software update. Also, my PX8s are showing software version 1.0.0., suggesting there has yet to be any firmware updates for the PX8 (only mentioning it as I noted that the Bathys was on v1..4.sth when I returned them).

One bit of related news (at least here in the UK): the Pi7 and Pi5 s2 are due to go on sale tomorrow. I have received an offer code as a registered owner of the original Pi7s to buy a new pair at a substantial reduction. Key features, from what I can tell from the email are that the S2 uses the Music app, now have 5hrs battery life and quick charge of 2hrs from 15 mins charging, a better antenna design for connectivity and some new colour options (inc midnight blue). Tomorrow morning (when they go on sale) will see whether I am tempted to pick them up. Apologies - can't share the code as it is a single-use, single unit code as per the B&W email.
Thanks for the update.
Good to know the PX8 are fine with the BT-W4 and you enjoy your music.
Happy listening

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #3,040 of 5,138
DC1812D6-DF98-442E-8412-654A1DB1EA99.png
Well this is interesting!

Attachments

• 10F3FF14-1978-4BA2-92CC-882274F8ED25.png
    10F3FF14-1978-4BA2-92CC-882274F8ED25.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #3,042 of 5,138
I like PX8 with BTW4 from PC much better than directly from phone. It seems aptx adaptive is significantly better than aptx.
Will this adapter work with any windows laptop? How about with an android phone? I just discovered that my phone has aptx so will the upgrade to aptx adaptive be noticeable? I have no dropouts or static.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #3,043 of 5,138
Will this adapter work with any windows laptop? How about with an android phone? I just discovered that my phone has aptx so will the upgrade to aptx adaptive be noticeable? I have no dropouts or static.
I believe so. It works with my android phone as well but it does not sound better than phone itself and is noticeable more quiet.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #3,045 of 5,138
I tried out the PX8 at an airport store and I was disappointed—they sounded wooly with a closed-in soundstage using wireless connection to my iPhone 14 Pro. Admittedly, it was a quick trial and it’s possible the headphones had a bad EQ profile loaded in them. The attendant said she liked increasing the bass with the headphone app which I couldn’t imagine doing to the sound I heard (and I like bass in my headphones). I like the aesthetic of the design; they felt premium and comfortable. Ultimately, I didn’t find them a compelling alternative to my AirPods Max or my Momentum 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back