Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 28, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #3,061 of 5,160
When I upgraded from PX7 original to PX8, I thought my decision was wrong. The PX8 sounded very boomy, more exaggerated sloppy bass, very congested. I thought about returning them but decided to keep it for while, after few weeks either my brain adjusted or headphone burned-in, it's sound lots better, bass settled, more space between instruments, detailed yet harsh. Now I use the EQ, bass -1, treble +0.5, this helped open the sound a bit more.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #3,062 of 5,160
When I upgraded from PX7 original to PX8, I thought my decision was wrong. The PX8 sounded very boomy, more exaggerated sloppy bass, very congested. I thought about returning them but decided to keep it for while, after few weeks either my brain adjusted or headphone burned-in, it's sound lots better, bass settled, more space between instruments, detailed yet harsh. Now I use the EQ, bass -1, treble +0.5, this helped open the sound a bit more.
Funny, this is literally the exact opposite of my first impression. I have the PX7 and love them. Got the PX8s this weekend, was very excited for them. Right away, the Px8's clearly had more space/air and room to breathe in my testing. PX7s were definitely way more boomy/congested feeling.

But I actually am returning them tomorrow. I did a lot of a/b and much preferred my PX7s for just about every track. Warmer, cozier, that sort of thing. I didn't find the PX8 to be much more detailed, and the timbre was a little off for me compared to the PX7. Very personal, I tend to favor timbre and warmth a lot of times. But the PX8s were a bit disappointing. However this is probably good news for me - big $$$$ savings!

I know I'm likely in the minority here, but gotta say, I really love my PX7s!

Funny enough, the PX8s had a much better seal but in turn really increased the hearing occlusion effect when I was walking (where you can hear your footsteps thud loudly) compared to the PX7s. Unfortunate because I use the headphones a lot when outside walking my dogs. It was very pronounced on the PX8s for me. Barely registers on the PX7s (and I know my seal is still great on those).

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #3,063 of 5,160
Funny, this is literally the exact opposite of my first impression. I have the PX7 and love them. Got the PX8s this weekend, was very excited for them. Right away, the Px8's clearly had more space/air and room to breathe in my testing. PX7s were definitely way more boomy/congested feeling.

But I actually am returning them tomorrow. I did a lot of a/b and much preferred my PX7s for just about every track. Warmer, cozier, that sort of thing. I didn't find the PX8 to be much more detailed, and the timbre was a little off for me compared to the PX7. Very personal, I tend to favor timbre and warmth a lot of times. But the PX8s were a bit disappointing. However this is probably good news for me - big $$$$ savings!

I know I'm likely in the minority here, but gotta say, I really love my PX7s!

Funny enough, the PX8s had a much better seal but in turn really increased the hearing occlusion effect when I was walking (where you can hear your footsteps thud loudly) compared to the PX7s. Unfortunate because I use the headphones a lot when outside walking my dogs. It was very pronounced on the PX8s for me. Barely registers on the PX7s (and I know my seal is still great on those).
Interesting re thuds. I don't really notice, but I very much did on the Focal Bathys, which I returned, repurchased and returned again because of this hearing occlusion effect when out walking my dog. On the Bathys, it was picked up not just by the frame of the headphones (bad enough), but also had a notable, audible impact on the ANC - a warbling or pitching. Given that ANC can never be defeated on that headphone, this made them essentially desk-based headphones for me. Focal responded saying it was related to bone conduction, and that while future firmware updates might reduce the effect, they would not eliminate it. There was also no firm promise (and therefore ETA) on the inclusion of the ability to defeat ANC, so back the Bathys went. With the PX8 I do not notice that effect of footsteps on the frame - I also have the PX7s and did not notice it with them either. However, on the PX7 very occasionally the ANC would jump or warble (eg if a bus crossed over a speed bump in the road, or a train shuddered on the track); not on the PX8 so far.

It all goes to show that every head is different, just as we all hear differently. I'm pleased for you that you find the PX7 a more enjoyable sound. Enjoyment from headphones is, after all, what it should be all about. Happy listening.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #3,064 of 5,160
Interesting re thuds. I don't really notice, but I very much did on the Focal Bathys, which I returned, repurchased and returned again because of this hearing occlusion effect when out walking my dog. On the Bathys, it was also picked up not just by the frame of the headphones (bad enough), but also had a notable, audible impact on the ANC - a warbling or pitching. Given that ANC can never be defeated on that headphone, this made them essentially desk-based headphones for me. The PX8 I do not notice that effect - I also have the PX7s and did not notice it with them either.

It all goes to show that every head is different, just as we all hear differently. I'm pleased for you that you find the PX7 a more enjoyable sound. Enjoyment from headphones is, after all, what it should be all about. Happy listening.
I guess upgrades from year to year must be pretty incremental. Luckily for me I went from hell to heaven swapping my galaxy buds for PX8s.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #3,065 of 5,160
I guess upgrades from year to year must be pretty incremental. Luckily for me I went from hell to heaven swapping my galaxy buds for PX8s.
I wouldnt exactly call the difference between og PX7 and PX8 incremental, they are quite different headphones both in sound quality, fit and build. But of course one might prefer the older version for some reason.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #3,066 of 5,160
To their credit, I think B&W did quite a lot of revision to the PX7 in making the PX7 S2, which is what the PX8 is based upon as a platform. Much more than a incremental upgrade - quite a lot of work under the hood, not just on the cosmetics.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #3,068 of 5,160
To their credit, I think B&W did quite a lot of revision to the PX7 in making the PX7 S2, which is what the PX8 is based upon as a platform. Much more than a incremental upgrade - quite a lot of work under the hood, not just on the cosmetics.
I think we can all agree that my comment was fundamentally incorrect. Consider it retracted.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #3,069 of 5,160
So, after a month of testing the Px8, I’ve decided to send them back. They’re very good headphones and they sound great while being premium and comfortable. I think they are much better than the "original" PX7 which I didn't like. However, I always thought that they’re “good” but not “699€ good”. Doesn’t make much sense to think that way maybe but listening to them side by side with my Momentum 4, I felt the Px8 sounded better but not by a huge margin. Especially not for modern music and genres. Or to put it differently, the M4 sound very good with regard to what I paid for them (234€, pretty much a third of the Px8). More than good enough for what I need in a Bluetooth ANC headphone probably. They’re also very comfortable but they’re not as stylish and not as well built obviously. ANC is very comparable, though. Call quality sounded better than on the Px8 people told me. I slightly prefer the M4's sound to the AirPods Max I had before the Px8 and which I used for 21 months.

At first, I did not have any issues with the wear sensor on the Px8 but after a while it was acting up. I did a factory reset but it still was overly sensitive no matter what I did. The wear sensor on the M4 works as it should. No issues at all. I usually prefer physical buttons on headphones, and I liked the buttons on the Px8 but I have to admit that the touch commands work very well on the M4 and even faster than using the buttons. I also think the Sennheiser app offers a better overall experience than the B&W app and has more features (+ they do provide firmware updates). Both cases are great, so no advantage there either for the Px8. Battery life on the M4 is twice as good as on the Px8. It kind of goes on like this.

It still wasn’t an easy decision as the B&W are so sexy, stylish, premium and great sounding. All very important things of course and I’m sure I will miss them. I would probably gladly pay 449€ to 499€ for them and feel happy about it. For now, only my wallet is really happy about the situation :)

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #3,070 of 5,160
So, after a month of testing the Px8, I’ve decided to send them back. They’re very good headphones and they sound great while being premium and comfortable. I think they are much better than the "original" PX7 which I didn't like. However, I always thought that they’re “good” but not “699€ good”. Doesn’t make much sense to think that way maybe but listening to them side by side with my Momentum 4, I felt the Px8 sounded better but not by a huge margin. Especially not for modern music and genres. Or to put it differently, the M4 sound very good with regard to what I paid for them (234€, pretty much a third of the Px8). More than good enough for what I need in a Bluetooth ANC headphone probably. They’re also very comfortable but they’re not as stylish and not as well built obviously. ANC is very comparable, though. Call quality sounded better than on the Px8 people told me. I slightly prefer the M4's sound to the AirPods Max I had before the Px8 and which I used for 21 months.

At first, I did not have any issues with the wear sensor on the Px8 but after a while it was acting up. I did a factory reset but it still was overly sensitive no matter what I did. The wear sensor on the M4 works as it should. No issues at all. I usually prefer physical buttons on headphones, and I liked the buttons on the Px8 but I have to admit that the touch commands work very well on the M4 and even faster than using the buttons. I also think the Sennheiser app offers a better overall experience than the B&W app and has more features (+ they do provide firmware updates). Both cases are great, so no advantage there either for the Px8. Battery life on the M4 is twice as good as on the Px8. It kind of goes on like this.

It still wasn’t an easy decision as the B&W are so sexy, stylish, premium and great sounding. All very important things of course and I’m sure I will miss them. I would probably gladly pay 449€ to 499€ for them and feel happy about it. For now, only my wallet is really happy about the situation :)
I can't really think of any luxury product where you could argue that twice the price means twice as nice. Welcome to the world of diminishing returns.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #3,071 of 5,160
I can't really think of any luxury product where you could argue that twice the price means twice as nice. Welcome to the world of diminishing returns.
Yeah, true. Still, it was three times the price here and the much cheaper unit was even better in certain areas. Nothing against the Px8, though. It just wasn’t enough value for the money for personally. Just one opinion out of many :)

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #3,072 of 5,160
I think the PX8 is about 5 or maybe in some cases almost 10% better than the Px7s2. So worth it 😂

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #3,074 of 5,160
I don't think any headphones are worth this price but that's the nature of luxury items.
Well technically we could all listen to music without headphones or using the standard wired earpod coming with an iPhone. And drink non-alcoholic beer, skip good food and only sit on a plastic IKEA chair. :)

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #3,075 of 5,160
Well technically we could all listen to music without headphones or using the standard wired earpod coming with an iPhone. And drink non-alcoholic beer, skip good food and only sit on a plastic IKEA chair. :)
I completely agree. I wasn't advocating not buying nice headphones or chairs. I was defending them as things don't always have to be value for money to make them enjoyable to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back