Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #2,236 of 5,141
Those tests only have some value under one set of circumstances...if the listener is wearing fairly neutral headphones while listening to the test, and the "sound test" also includes additional headphones. In that scenario, the listener can get a general idea of how the sound signatures of the headphones included in the test differ from each other, without any real insight into the technical abilities of the tested headphones. This is literally the only value that I can see in such tests.
Even then I think it is pretty pointless.
Also, I am pretty sure the majoritet of viewers are just listening out of their tv, laptop or maybe airpods anyway.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #2,237 of 5,141
Even then I think it is pretty pointless.
Also, I am pretty sure the majoritet of viewers are just listening out of their tv, laptop or maybe airpods anyway.
Hence why I specified that there's only some value if the listener is listening via neutral headphones. I personally did find some value in a specific "sound test" involving a large number of noise cancelling headphones. I'd listened to and compared most of them in person, and while what you hear over YouTube videos does not sound like what you hear in person, the differences in sound signatures matched up pretty well with what I heard when comparing them in person.

I think that can be somewhat useful at the preliminary stages of the decision making process. For example, the large comparison video that I'm referring to was good enough for me to know that it was highly unlikely I would I ever want to buy the Bose NC700 when given the option to buy practically any of its price bracket peers. But, yeah, those tests are definitely nothing that I would ever use to make a final determination.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #2,238 of 5,141
Hence why I specified that there's only some value if the listener is listening via neutral headphones. I personally did find some value in a specific "sound test" involving a large number of noise cancelling headphones. I'd listened to and compared most of them in person, and while what you hear over YouTube videos does not sound like what you hear in person, the differences in sound signatures matched up pretty well with what I heard when comparing them in person.

I think that can be somewhat useful at the preliminary stages of the decision making process. For example, the large comparison video that I'm referring to was good enough for me to know that it was highly unlikely I would I ever want to buy the Bose NC700 when given the option to buy practically any of it's price bracket peers. But, yeah, those tests are definitely nothing that I would ever use to make a final determination.
Please link to that video.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2,239 of 5,141
Please link to that video.
I watched the video I was referring to a couple of years ago. It was posted by YouTube content creator GYMCADDY. He includes sound tests in practically all of his headphone comparison tests.

He's not an audiophile, he's not good at judging headphone technical performance, he typically only reviews Bluetooth headphones, and I don't always agree with his conclusions. But, he is consistent, and I do find his comparison recordings to be helpful at the very beginning of the decision making process.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,241 of 5,141

Resolve put his big comparison up! He really doesn't like the PX8 lol, or it's graph.

I'm still finding the PX8 a lot more enjoyable than the other bluetooth headphones i've owned/own. I realised this a year into the hobby though, I have to actually try headphones out en masse and not just look at graphs, because my preferences are so often different to 'a good curve'.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,242 of 5,141
This link should make for very interesting conversations:

I haven't been able to listen to the video yet, but Resolve posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago, and he made it clear that he HATES the PX8. More often than not, I agree with most of his conclusions regarding headphones, but not in this case.

I found it strange how over the top he was with his criticism. He called them "unlistenable". The PX8 is not neutral because B&W didn't tune it to be neutral, and I can see how certain people's audiophile sensibilities would be somewhat offended by its sound signature, but calling it unlistenable seems like an overdramatic exaggeration.

That lead me to believe that he either listened to a bad unit, or that there is something about how that PX8 fits him and his ears that just doesn't work. I know I'm jumping to conclusions, and in turn being dismissive of a very experienced reviewer, but I just find it hard to believe that anyone could find the PX8 to be unlistenable. There are others in this thread who've tried it and preferred other headphones, but even they didn't find it to be a bad headphone..and certainly not offensive or flat out unlistenable.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #2,243 of 5,141

Resolve put his big comparison up! He really doesn't like the PX8 lol, or it's graph.

I wonder if the verdict would have been the same without trying to stack a bunch of ”objective” measurements on top of each other.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,244 of 5,141
Yeah that's strange as I've never heard anyone call the Px8 unlistenable. I know everyone's ears are different but still.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,245 of 5,141
I found it strange how over the top he was with his criticism. He called them "unlistenable". The PX8 is not neutral because B&W didn't tune it to be neutral, and I can see how certain people's audiophile sensibilities would be somewhat offended by its sound signature, but calling it unlistenable seems like an overdramatic exaggeration.

That lead me to believe that he either listened to a bad unit, or that there is something about how that PX8 fits him and his ears that just doesn't work. I know I'm jumping to conclusions, and in turn being dismissive of a very experienced reviewer, but I just find it hard to believe that anyone could find the PX8 to be unlistenable. There are others in this thread who've tried it and preferred other headphones, but even they didn't find it to be a bad headphone..and certainly not offensive or flat out unlistenable.
Yeah it's hard to know really. They're obviously not unlistenable, as tons of youtube reviews and posts here are full of praise. Probably just a taste thing. Just further emphasis that when we look into reviews of a product it's important to view many, and if we can, try the darn headphones ourselves!

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #2,246 of 5,141
I haven't been able to listen to the video yet, but Resolve posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago, and he made it clear that he HATES the PX8. More often than not, I agree with most of his conclusions regarding headphones, but not in this case.

You sum it up well.
PX8 is clearly neither neutral nor tuned for everyone - but calling it ”unlistenable” is just saying more about the reviewer than the headphones themselves.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #2,248 of 5,141

I'm still finding the PX8 a lot more enjoyable than the other bluetooth headphones i've owned/own. I realised this a year into the hobby though, I have to actually try headphones out en masse and not just look at graphs, because my preferences are so often different to 'a good curve'.

I actually do reference the HARMAN Graph and like to add about 3db on mid and high Base, also lower treble allot in 3k.

Thats how i like it , because Harmon tuning sounds too thin, sibilant and lack of base weight.

In other words to me the PX8 does sound allot like Resolves Graph and that’s why I like it much more then Bathys.

Hope that makes sense

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #2,249 of 5,141
I think Resolve is only able to hear for how headphones deviate to that Harman Graph.

It’s arrogant to say that Graph some how represents ideal sound quality, based on some garbage testing done 30 years ago with allot of White people

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #2,250 of 5,141
I think Resolve is only able to hear for how headphones deviate to that Harman Graph.

It’s arrogant to say that Graph some how represents ideal sound quality, based on some garbage testing done 30 years ago with allot of White people
I dont care much for graphs either, but do you think black, brown, yellow or pink ears are different? Or what was the issue with ”a lot of white people”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back