Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use)
Sep 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #121 of 136
I'd really like the E7/E9 combo but they're quite pricy here :frowning2: (e9 120 euro e7 100 euro)

Is there anything cheaper? Like maybe PA2v2? Or should I try buy the e9 2nd hand maybe?

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #122 of 136

Quote:
I'd really like the E7/E9 combo but they're quite pricy here :frowning2: (e9 120 euro e7 100 euro)

Is there anything cheaper? Like maybe PA2v2? Or should I try buy the e9 2nd hand maybe?

Wow that is a bit more than what I paid, even when you consider exchange rate equivalents lol. I paid £80 for my Fiio E9, and I paid £60 for my Fiio E7 - there were months between the purchases though, I didn't get both at the same time. Plus prices tend to fluctuate over time.

There are always cheaper alternatives, but it probably won't sound as good. If I were you (which I'm not lol) but if I were in your position knowing what I know now and judging by the prices you've just quoted I'd definitely go the 2nd hand route for both the E7 and the E9 for sure! You're going to want the E7 + E9 though....one without the other is serviceable I suppose but smash both of them together and that's where the magic happens.....like vanilla ice cream with chocolate chunks :wink:

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #124 of 136
I'm starting to get pain on the top of my head after long use, it looks like the "dampening" on the band is getting really thin / less absorbing (it's much thicker on the sides which my head doesn't rest on then the middle).

Do you also have this problem?

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #125 of 136

Quote:
I'm starting to get pain on the top of my head after long use, it looks like the "dampening" on the band is getting really thin / less absorbing (it's much thicker on the sides which my head doesn't rest on then the middle).

Do you also have this problem?

I have a shaved head (most of the time) and I feel nothing really, but I must have an insensitive top of the head because I've had other headphones where me and my brother had the same headphones and he complained about headband pressure on top of his head (shaved hair too) whereas I felt nothing. 

What bothered/bothers me more about headphones are the pressure on the ears or side of face. I remember when my DT 990 Pro was new and the pressure was getting to me but this lessened significantly as I; A) used them more thus having them conform over time, B) got used to the new headphones and not the old ones, and finally C) for good measure ratcheted out the sliders properly - you should have done this already - I have quite a long head lol and I have mine set to 4 dots visible. This should significantly reduce pressure.

But these aren't the sort of headphones you ever really forget you're wearing. Even now I'm still acutely aware I'm wearing them. But they're not uncomfortable. My first week or two maybe so....

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #126 of 136
I wonder what do I should do now, the headband is starting to feel really hard (from the metal), it was perfect the first day but now every day it starts to feel much harder.

Should I maybe try the AKG K242 HD? They have a somewhat similar headband construction like the steelseries siberia which sit really comfortably.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #127 of 136

Quote:
I wonder what do I should do now, the headband is starting to feel really hard (from the metal), it was perfect the first day but now every day it starts to feel much harder.

Should I maybe try the AKG K242 HD? They have a somewhat similar headband construction like the steelseries siberia which sit really comfortably.

Is that because they've been used more ?

Headphones will be the most uncomfortable from new for the first few days no matter what you buy....so I'd give the headphones a week or two personally if you can - especially if you like the sound. Have you tried  adjusting headband ratchets ? They fit my long head ratcheted all the way down but the headband pressure is insane. Ratcheting up to 4 dots for me makes a huge difference in alleviating headband pressure.

But if you really can't stand them after that and a few days of persistence at the very least then you could try out another headphone.... Apparently the premium DT 990 clamps less and sounds better but it's more expensive. In fact here it's twice the price of the Pro version!

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #128 of 136
Whoah whoah, easy there Hevan - if you like everything about your headphone apart from the headband pressing on the top of your head, don't jump to another headphone straight away. Wrap a sock around the headband for a bit, and if that helps then you can start to think of a more permanent (and prettier) solution.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #129 of 136

Quote:
Whoah whoah, easy there Hevan - if you like everything about your headphone apart from the headband pressing on the top of your head, don't jump to another headphone straight away. Wrap a sock around the headband for a bit, and if that helps then you can start to think of a more permanent (and prettier) solution.

To be fair I had the same issue when I first got my DT 990 Pro as well, but over time (and adjusting the ratchets properly) it doesn't bother me any more at all to be honest. But at first it did. Sometimes new headphones aren't the answer....

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #130 of 136
Yea I know :frowning2:( I really love the sound from this one :/
But I use headphone very much (8 hour per day) and after 1 hour I already get headache =/
I tried adjust them to all size length, I tried put in some foam but still remains, it feels really heavy on top of my head.

Also my brother bought new siberia, it feels kinda the same as a used one, only a bit less ear clamping with the used one (the self-adjusting headband system feels really light on the top of my head.)

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #131 of 136

Quote:
Yea I know :frowning2:( I really love the sound from this one :/
But I use headphone very much (8 hour per day) and after 1 hour I already get headache =/
I tried adjust them to all size length, I tried put in some foam but still remains, it feels really heavy on top of my head.

Also my brother bought new siberia, it feels kinda the same as a used one, only a bit less ear clamping with the used one (the self-adjusting headband system feels really light on the top of my head.)

It might be just a case of what you're  used to as well.....for example I've never had a self adjusting headband system headphone like the Audio Technica AD700 (i think, the one with the pinky purple cups and  no bass) so I don't know how comfy they are.

Obviously it's up to you, but if you know you like the sound I'd give it as much time as possible - even leave it stretched out over a PC tower case or  tissue  box at night see if that helps....I know first hand there's nothing worse than headphones that sound good but cause physical pain after extended use. It sucks. But the fact is everyone's physical make up is different and so what I find perfectly tolerable and comfy after a while you may find permanently intolerable. 

I've had headphones like that before and had them replaced....but I always gave them benefit of doubt and a couple of months at least. You may not be in a position to do this, but if you are you've nothing to lose.

But to think of alternatives maybe something in the Audio Technica line would be perfect for you if it has bass....Might be more money though. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #132 of 136

Quote:
It's not where it joins the earcup, it's an un-smooth bump (i'd say 0,5 cm upwards and 2-3 cm in length and 0.5 cm in width), it really hurt my ear after 10+ mins of use, never saw something like that before in headphones.

It is. Open up your headphones and you will see. Or look at this post: http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/soundstage-mod-for-sennheiser-555-595-headphones
The housing for the hinge on the inside of the headphones is heavy duty to allow the cable joining the two sides to run through. The bump you're referring to is just the cover for the housing.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #133 of 136
Yea I meant that thing, I don't know but why would they place such a thing in there? It was dealbreaking to me imo, it just wouldn't feel comfy at all with that pressing my ear there.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #134 of 136
I wonder if that's why I have to sometimes adjust my HD558's because they don't "feel right" Maybe it's that piece of plastic...  What's weird is I only need to adjust it somtimes.  Other night I can have them on for 4 or 5 hours and not have to touch them so apparently there's some sweet spot that I must not hit that plastic piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back