Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Feb 26, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #1,456 of 2,108
Just to let you guys know, there will be a 16% discount for nearly ALL products in Bottlehead in one day only - 29th Feb. I doubt there won't be a better time to get the fantastic budget Crack amp or the marvelous Mainline amp.

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8903.0

Happy shopping!

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,457 of 2,108
So Doc,

20% in 2020?  
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,459 of 2,108
  So Doc,

20% in 2020?  
tongue_smile.gif

I don't even know if I'll still be selling amps in 2020. Might be spending the hundreds of billions we've made selling kits to run against Donald Trump in his re-election bid, or maybe I'll accept the invitation to go back with the Alpha Centaurians to their gas giant home planet after they visit Earth in 2018. 

So many decisions...

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,461 of 2,108
Used Mainline Prototype for sale. Interesting, looks quite different from a Mainline :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798783/bottlehead-mainline-prototype-headphone-amplifier-many-upgrades-balanced-outputs

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,462 of 2,108
Yes, it is quite different and the use of the name Mainline is not really accurate. It uses the same output tubes and pretty much all else is different. If I thought some of the differences in there were improvements they would probably have been used in the production version of Mainline. There's a reason for making prototypes before a design is finalized, you can evaluate the prototype and improve from there. It's probably a nice sounding amp and certainly has a nice cabinet and a very good looking layout. It's just not a Mainline.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,464 of 2,108
Sorry to say we won't be there. We've had a very busy month at Bottleheadquarters with lots of new projects in the works, and we are committed to getting those finished for everyone who has been patiently waiting to see them become available. Maybe I need to come up with a DIY cloning kit so I can be in more than one place at one time.

As regards Head-Fi meets in general, we will be hosting a meet at BHQ at the end of April. These meets have grown into truly worthy events over the past three or so years, and though not the size of a Canjam we typically see 30-40 attendees and it's pretty amazing just how much gear the local (meaning not only Seattleites but also Head-fiers from Portland to Vancouver B.C.) gang brings for everyone to try out. For those up for a little travel I think the meet could be a good opportunity to hear not only our gear but lots of other cool stuff too. Did I mention there's a craft brewery next door? 

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,466 of 2,108
Yup, start with 32 ohms for the Beyer T1s. Nothing is harmed by trying different output impedance settings and I would encourage experimentation to find what suits your taste. If you decide to use lower impedance cans in the future I would suggest trying the 4 ohm setting, for best signal to noise ratio and a little more range on the volume control with sensitive cans.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,468 of 2,108
I'm running my mainline with hd800's, tweaked with a superdupont resonator and cork mods (google it!) (which replicate the changes in the hd800s, taming of the 6k peak, but have significantly less LF distortion and less of a peak at 15khz, per Innerfidelty). It is headphone audio at its finest to my ears.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,469 of 2,108
I'm running my mainline with hd800's, tweaked with a superdupont resonator and cork mods (google it!) (which replicate the changes in the hd800s, taming of the 6k peak, but have significantly less LF distortion and less of a peak at 15khz, per Innerfidelty). It is headphone audio at its finest to my ears.

Awesome!

The Mainline is next on my list, currently running a Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Modded BHC+SB with my HD 800 S's.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,470 of 2,108
Awesome!

The Mainline is next on my list, currently running a Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Modded BHC+SB with my HD 800 S's.

Very nice! Mainline should be right up your alley - retaining that wonderful bottlehead house sound, but substantially improving on the already venerable crack + sb across the board. The resolution, transparency, speed and bass detail are all in a different league, and the beautifully refined trebles make it ideally suited for hd800(s). The build is also immensely satisfying and makes you appreciate the great sq that much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back