Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Mar 24, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,472 of 2,108
Back in October, I rewired the SEX for 4ohms - I had just received the Nighthawks. I've since gone back to 8ohms. 
While I lose a bit of play in the comfortable listening range, I prefer the sound quality. Mcandmars tweak to reduce the hum was a big help. Finally, the Jupiter cap upgrade was huge...3 or 4 months out, and I'm content with the SEX.

Now, I am torn between a Mainline build, and the Stereomour2. I spend a bit more time with the 'phones on now, but I'm thinking it's time my floorstanders get a new partner.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,473 of 2,108
  Back in October, I rewired the SEX for 4ohms - I had just received the Nighthawks. I've since gone back to 8ohms. 
While I lose a bit of play in the comfortable listening range, I prefer the sound quality. Mcandmars tweak to reduce the hum was a big help. Finally, the Jupiter cap upgrade was huge...3 or 4 months out, and I'm content with the SEX.

Now, I am torn between a Mainline build, and the Stereomour2. I spend a bit more time with the 'phones on now, but I'm thinking it's time my floorstanders get a new partner.

The Mainline is magic with the Nighthawks... just saying... :wink:

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,474 of 2,108
Which Jupiters are we talking about? I've been considering them for some time, but their price is just skyrocketing it seems. Or not... maybe its just the shock of reading the cost each time which leads me to believe that. :wink:  The 600V copper foil are a bit pricey.

There's also the VT and HT which appear to be the same cap in a different profiles? Info is light on their site.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,475 of 2,108
The Jupitor HTs are really nicely balanced and Are very natural sounding they also surprised me with their resolution which was better than I had expected. They are a eye watering price I had the Mundorf supreme Silver Oils in my Sex prior which have more of a v shape profile which slightly emphasis the treble and bass regions. I thought the SIO offer better value than the HT at roughly half the cost and are in some ways have a more fun and engaging sound And a incredibly spatial soundstage. But if you like a more natural and life like tone and presentation the Jupitors are very good at delivering. I haven't tried the copper foils as yet and probably won't due to their cost.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,476 of 2,108
  Which Jupiters are we talking about? I've been considering them for some time, but their price is just skyrocketing it seems. Or not... maybe its just the shock of reading the cost each time which leads me to believe that. :wink:  The 600V copper foil are a bit pricey.

There's also the VT and HT which appear to be the same cap in a different profiles? Info is light on their site.

I hesitated too, but a small discount available at the time sealed the deal.
A shot of the output caps:

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,477 of 2,108
If you haven't yet registered as a user on the Bottlehead Forum, you might find it useful to do so. We will be sending out a notice pertaining to the Mainline to BH forum users who opt in for email notifications . 

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,479 of 2,108
  If you haven't yet registered as a user on the Bottlehead Forum, you might find it useful to do so. We will be sending out a notice pertaining to the Mainline to BH forum users who opt in for email notifications . 

Hope nothing is wrong and they haven't been bursting into flame across the country 
eek.gif

I recently had a update from Whirlpool about my tumble dryer they need to send someone out to modify it as they have had a bunch of them burst into flame and burn folks houses down something to do with the lint filter.

Fingers crossed

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,481 of 2,108

Hope nothing is wrong and they haven't been bursting into flame across the country 
eek.gif

I recently had a update from Whirlpool about my tumble dryer they need to send someone out to modify it as they have had a bunch of them burst into flame and burn folks houses down something to do with the lint filter.

Fingers crossed

I will assume you are simply trying to start some sort of internet drama with this, as our kits work just fine. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #1,484 of 2,108
  I will assume you are simply trying to start some sort of internet drama with this, as our kits work just fine. 

No not trying to start any internet dramas here just speculating on what I hoped the notice pertaining to the Mainline would not be about.
I was actually a bit worried for my wallet just in case there was a Nickel transformer upgrade on its way.

But it seems you are running a great promotion deal on the Mainline and headfi rules meant you couldn't actually directly post about it. So sadly my wallet breaths a sigh of relief and thanks you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back