Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Feb 27, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,036 of 2,108

Any further thoughts on your mainline now that you've had a little while to enjoy it paulie?

Also, for anyone feeling the itch, bottlehead has a serious mainline sale on through Sunday - don't know that they've had them this cheap since the preorder.  Still totally enamored with mine.  The build is incredibly rewarding and results in one of the best sounding hp amps out there to my ears - particularly with hd800's.  http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7581.0  

Thanks for asking.  Not really to be honest.  It's really hard to say something about this amp that either yourself or Loquah hasn't already.  It truly is a lovely amp, particularly with the HD800's.

I was originally planning on doing a Stratus VS Mainline and I started doing it...  I got to page 7 (MS Word, size 11 font) and thought this is silly....  I could blab on forever.  

In short summery: (IE, this is excerpt of part of it...  Yeah...  Talk about verbal diarrhea.  Also, this is an unfinished first draft, so it is what it is...)

{Please note, the blow post is IMHO and YMMV and don’t take to heart if you feel differently.}

{I’m not a writer and I am sloppy with the terminology and often can’t articulate what I hear so you will have to bear with me. }

The Mainline is Bottlehead statement headphone amplifier that boasts an output of about 600mW.  But who cares about numbers: how does this thing sound?

I can save you some time.  It sounds really good with HD800’s and if you aren’t afraid of building one you probably will never find something that will best it sonically for similar money.

Who am I kidding…  We are “headiophiles” (your heard it here first, folks!*) and we want to know how this thing stacks up to one of the other top dog HD800 amps: The DNA Stratus.  I’m not going to do a review of the Mainline because I can in no way shape or form add to Loquah’s already amazing review of it.  If you haven’t read it, forget this and go read that.  Go ahead.  I’ll wait…

In the left corner, the no fuss, no muss, right down to business, the Bottlehead Mainline handsomely equipped with Auricap XO’s but otherwise stock.

And in the other corner, the playful, the whimsical ooooooooooooooooold big blue, the DNA Stratus paired with Sophia Princess 2A3 Mesh Plates, EML 5U4G and a Pearl Reflektor 6N1P-EV "Gold Grade" but otherwise stock.  It is the latest version with addition chokes, etc.

I want to put the cost of these amps out there because I do feel it is relevant.  The Mainline is $1200 and the upgraded capacitors were about $115 bringing it in at $1315.  The Stratus is $2700 and the tubes were an about an extra $750 bringing the amp in at a hefty $3450 – Nearly three times the price of the Mainline.

I used the HD800’s, LCD3f’s and Hififan He-5 modified Code-X’s with the amp.  The source is a Bricasti M1 and everything is powered by a PS Audio P3 regenerator.

Neither the DNA nor the Mainline can drive the Code-X’s well at all.  If you have He-6’s, don’t get either of these amps; but I don’t think that is a shock to anyone.   I felt the Mainline did a better job with the LCD3’s than the Stratus but I do suspect that that has much to do with my particular tube arrangement on the Stratus more than the amp itself, however.  My impressions below are done with HD800’s because both amps shine with them.

I’ll start with the end.  The Stratus, to my ears, is the superior amp with the HD800’s.  It is not only technically better across the board but it is also a more pleasant listening experience.  The Stratus has an amazing ability to add a marvelous smoothness to everything without glazing over any detail.  The DNA amp adds soul to music, it gets my toes tapping, the hairs on my neck standing up and, most importantly, when I listen to it I forget about the “system” and get totally lost in the music.  Is it the perfect amp with the HD800’s?  Maybe, I don’t know.  What I do know is that it is so good I don’t care.  The Mainline, although excellent, does fall short of the stratospheric standard set by the Stratus.  But who’s surprised at 1/3 the cost?  After all, there are no free rides in life.

But how big is the difference?  Hard to say, it’s subjective, YMMV, different strokes for different folks and I’m not an audio reviewer nor do I have golden ears.  And I do want to point out that the Stratus is widely regarded as one of the best amps for the HD800’s, if not the best.

Methodology: I played the song on one amp, wrote down what I heard/though in regards to a specific aspect, switched sources and headphone cord, and listened again.  It’s the best I can do for an A/B.

Bass vs Bass

Barenaked Ladies - Hello City
Gordon has always been one of my “go to” CD’s.  It’s remarkable well recorded, easy going fun music.  It probably seems like an odd choice of song for bass listening but it has this really nice controlled bass line that is subdued and come out very muddled on many systems.  It is actually pretty tough to get this to not sound monotone.  The Stratus does a marvelous job of it: it’s rich, deep and detailed with a nice tactile feel.  The Mainline also did extremely and kept paces nicely with the Stratus.  The bass was more separated with Mainline from the rest of the music.

Daft Punk – Instant Crush
This is another very well done album.  It’s songs like this where the Stratus shows its teeth.  The bass is far more present on the Stratus.  The Mainline sounds weaker and less available.  The Mainline sounds more reserved, like it doesn’t want to get its hands dirty here.  The bass goes deeper on the Stratus vs the Mainline.  That said I was A/Bing the two and I had to look at the amps and take note of which I was listening too.  The differences were small.

Tea Party – Temptation
Finally, something not immaculately recorded.  It’s a gritty rock CD from the 90’s.  And you know what?  The two amps sounded very similar here.  Hello City had obvious differences, Instant Crush less so and this track... Not so much.  The Stratus has a little more slam again, but they were similar.

Mids vs Mids

Buddy Guy - Bad Life Blues
Maybe this should have been a bass track.  Buddy rocks it out with the best of them in one of his signature tracks.  The Stratus has clearly richer mids: the voice and guitar and meaty.  They are tangible.  They have an incredible life like fullness.  The Mainline sounds good, just small by comparison.  In one case I am in the room with the band and in the other case I am listening to a great reproduction of them playing in a room.

The Tragically Hip - Poets
Oh Gordon Downie…  I love your quirky voice.  Again, the Mainline is showing up to play, and certainly can hold its own, but the Stratus is just a master of mids.  The un-smooth texture of Downie’s voice is there.  This song can easily have everything blurred together but each instrument had its own place behind the lead letting the richness come forward.  The instruments with the Mainline were, again, thinner sounding.

Eva Cassidy – Stormy Monday (Live at Blues Alley)
I ********* LOVE Stormy Monday.  I don’t even care who sings it.  I use Stormy Monday twice in this review and I don’t care: deal with it.  When Eva belts out “Loooooooooooooord have mercy” she absolutely kills it.  I know her voice is on the high end of the mids, but for each category I am trying to pick songs that have a “low, medium, high” gradation.  The Mainline makes her sound a little nasally and lost a bit of the clarity in her voice.

Highs vs Highs

Count Basie, Big Joe Turner, Eddie ‘Cleanhead’ Vinson – Cherry Red
There is something very special about well reproduced brass.  The Mainline again shows why it is a world class amp.  All the bass is remarkably well rendered on both amps.  The trump is just magic on this track when property controlled and piercing if not and it was very enjoyable on both amps.  The Stratus did eek out just a little more texture, though.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela – Syf
What audio review would be complete without something from Gabriela?  Highs and upper mids can have weight and these amps bring it.  The performance is remarkably similar.  They are both, fast, detailed and dynamic.  You can feel the strings being plucked.  Both amps presented everything very cleanly and accurately.  There was no HD800 hump to be bothered by with my un-modded cans.

Michael Jackson – Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough
I have his “Number One’s” cd and that’s the version I used (I'm generally not a big MJ fan but he has his moments).  The air around the highs more obvious on the Stratus, but again, both amps did really well.  I find the Mainline to be a traditionally more solid state sounding and the Stratus more tubey**.  I know a lot people hate those terms, etc.  But I mean them to mean detailed and accurate vs liquid and involving respectively.  Both amps presented Jackson’s voice and accompaniments effortlessly and without fatigue.  Everything has more room around itself with the Stratus, however.

Goosebumps

B.B. King and Albert Collins – Stormy Monday
If you can get your hands on a high quality complete (11:30 long) version of this song, do it.  King’s soulful voice is presented comes though on the Stratus made me forget I was taking notes…  Several times.  Collins comes out of the wood work a few minutes in and his whisky soaked voice is so believable.  You can see where the two are sitting in relation to each other on the Stratus.  The Mainline pushes them together too much.  The performance is just electric and alive with the Stratus. 

(I removed a lot of other sections I have half done like male, female vocals, spatialization, sound stageing, imaging, and so on...)

So I rant a lot about the Stratus here...  It's no wonder it is often considered the best amp for the HD800's.  A lot of all this, however, has to do with personal preference.  The Stratus is a warmer amp than the Mainline and I find that mixes well with the HD800's.  The Mainline is much more neutral.  It's actually much more similar to my SuSy Dynahi in signature which also happens to be considered one of the best solid state amps for the HD800's.  The Mainline is somewhere in between the two for voicing, but much closer to the Dynahi.  As a side note, the Dynahi (also a DIY amp) cost more to build than the Mainline.

The Mainline has a smaller sound stage than the Stratus, and with the HD800's, I found it was actually a GOOD thing.  The HD800's with the Stratus can sound a little disconnected and the Mainline had better left to right coherency.  

The Mainline is an outstanding amp for the HD800’s.  The HD800’s are a picky pair and sound worse than most other headphones with the wrong gear.  I find the HD800’s performance is almost binary: either they are terrible or world class, but never mediocre.   With the Mainline, they are indeed world class. All the issues with lesser amps found with the HD800s (simblance, lack of bass, etc)

If I had never heard the Stratus, would be I perfectly happy with the Mainline?  For sure.  The Mainline is certainly end game worthy and does everything really well.  The sound stage is large and deep and everything has a nice weight to it.  It really is just a great, neutral all around performer and a steal of a deal price.

*I Googled it and I guess other people have used the world before, but not really in the same context, so I’m still claiming it as mine as there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it MUAWHAHAHAHA!!! 

**  When I say "tubey" sounding or "solid state" sounding I mean tubey to be with a more forward a lush mid-range and a syrupy quality.  SS being flatter across the spectrum with a faster, tighter presentation.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,037 of 2,108
Sorry to drop in out of nowhere on you guys.  Been wanting to build a Bottlehead kit for a few years now and I finally bit the bullet. Binge reading this forum to decide what best to buy.  My collection of phones includes LCD 2.2, HE-500, HD650, Beyer DT880 600 ohm and DT770 600 ohm (had to find a decent closed pair for the office cubefarm).  My audio source currently is Bifrost Uber Gen 2, Lyr for orthos, and Valhalla for high impedance.  I also picked up a used Emotiva Mini-X A100 to try with the HE-500 per recommendations in head-fi about a good pairing (made an XLR to banana speaker tap adapter with gold Neutrik plug), but it's really a side step with the Lyr.  In other words only a trade off for some characteristics over others, to my ears.  Looking for something with significant improvement and want to build a kit.

I was leaning towards the S.E.X. because of how well it seems to pair with orthos, but the weekend discount on Mainline pushed me over the edge.  Why not jump straight to an end game headphone amp?  I've also been wanting to build one of the Bottlehead phono preamps for my Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk3 with VPI JMW 9t tonearm and Dynavector 20x2l LOMC cart.  When I'm ready to jump in to the phono pre build, I'll add some Cinemag SUTs to work with the LOMC cart.  I might be convinced to build a line preamp at some point as well.

With the Mainline ordered, I have 3-4 weeks to decide whether or not to leave the metal and wood stock, or do some painting/staining.  What kind of primer/paint is recommended for both the transformer metal parts and the aluminum chassis plate?  Do both need to be high temp?  I have some Rust-oleum primer and paint from another project that is indoor/outdoor and adheres to metal.  I'm not sure how well it will hold up if used on metal that gets very hot.

Has anyone built their kit using upgraded wire or does anyone have any opinion about sonic improvements using upgraded wire and silver solder?  I have 26 AWG LLDPE silver plated copper wire that I could use if someone convinces me it would be beneficial.  How many feet of wire does the kit need? Want to make sure I have enough...

My plan is to keep the Mainline stock to enjoy during break in and compare to my other amps.  Then once I get a good feel for the sonic differences, I'll later upgrade caps if I feel the urge (probably will like most of you here).  Are we ever really satisfied enough?

-Robert

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,038 of 2,108
If you're only gonna have the one amp, I'd go with the S.E.X.. If you are gonna keep another for power hungry cans (HE-500, and the LCD-2's if they're non-Fazor), I'd consider a Crack + upgrades for the high impedance cans. Idk about the Mainline. Don't listen to me though... I haven't heard any of them, haha!

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,039 of 2,108
  If you're only gonna have the one amp, I'd go with the S.E.X.. If you are gonna keep another for power hungry cans (HE-500, and the LCD-2's if they're non-Fazor), I'd consider a Crack + upgrades for the high impedance cans. Idk about the Mainline. Don't listen to me though... I haven't heard any of them, haha!

LOL
L3000.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #1,040 of 2,108

Thanks for asking.  Not really to be honest.  It's really hard to say something about this amp that either yourself or Loquah hasn't already.  It truly is a lovely amp, particularly with the HD800's.

I was originally planning on doing a Stratus VS Mainline and I started doing it...  I got to page 7 (MS Word, size 11 font) and thought this is silly....  I could blab on forever.  

In short summery:

Hey Paul my Mainline brother
beerchug.gif
 Good things come to those who wait!

Interesting write up thanks, when taken in context with the uber deep pockets required for the highly esteemed DNA Stratus it sounds like you have been pretty impressed with the Mainlines ability. 
Now where did I put those RTI 10uf tin foil Teflons
atsmile.gif
 a sure cure for any for any cold Eva may have caught!  Live at Blues Alley is one of my favourite albums along with Ruth Moody's These Wilder Things.  

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,041 of 2,108

Thanks for asking ....  Also, this is an unfinished first draft, so it is what it is...)
So I rant a lot about the Stratus here...  It's no wonder it is often considered the best amp for the HD800's.  A lot of all this, however, has to do with personal preference.  The Stratus is a warmer amp than the Mainline and I find that mixes well with the HD800's.  The Mainline is much more neutral.  It's actually much more similar to my SuSy Dynahi in signature which also happens to be considered one of the best solid state amps for the HD800's.  The Mainline is somewhere in between the two for voicing, but much closer to the Dynahi.  As a side note, the Dynahi (also a DIY amp) cost more to build than the Mainline.

The Mainline has a smaller sound stage than the Stratus, and with the HD800's, I found it was actually a GOOD thing.  The HD800's with the Stratus can sound a little disconnected and the Mainline had better left to right coherency.  

The Mainline is an outstanding amp for the HD800’s.  The HD800’s are a picky pair and sound worse than most other headphones with the wrong gear.  I find the HD800’s performance is almost binary: either they are terrible or world class, but never mediocre.   With the Mainline, they are indeed world class. All the issues with lesser amps found with the HD800s (simblance, lack of bass, etc)

If I had never heard the Stratus, would be I perfectly happy with the Mainline?  For sure.  The Mainline is certainly end game worthy and does everything really well.  The sound stage is large and deep and everything has a nice weight to it.  It really is just a great, neutral all around performer and a steal of a deal price.

Thanks so much for sharing your detailed and thoughtful comparison Paulie!  Really enjoyed reading through it - what a wealth of information!  Your comments about how the mainline's voicing falls somewhere between a traditional warm totl tube sound and your dynahi are really on point as I hear it, and part of what I think makes me love this amp so much.  I feel like I'm getting to enjoy the best of both worlds in many ways.  Beautiful, detailed, dynamic, resolved sound, and impactful bass, but with just a little more fullness, richer timbre and better sound stage than I would typically expect from even really good solid state - and such natural trebles (as I hear them anyway), that I seem to only associate with excellent non feedback amps.  

Out of curiosity, do you prefer your mainline on the high or low impedance setting?  When I first completed mine, I thought would err towards high with hd800's, but over time, I've found I keep it flipped to low for 90% or more of my listening.  I hear the trade off as a little extra fullness/mid-bass in high impedance mode vs a slightly leaner but tighter presentation, particularly in the deep bass.

In any event, thanks again for sharing all the impressions above, and I hope you continue to find great joy in both of these marvelous amps.  I'll definitely have to keep looking for an opportunity to hear a stratus.  

Sorry to drop in out of nowhere on you guys.  Been wanting to build a Bottlehead kit for a few years now and I finally bit the bullet .... the weekend discount on Mainline pushed me over the edge.  
Has anyone built their kit using upgraded wire or does anyone have any opinion about sonic improvements using upgraded wire and silver solder?  I have 26 AWG LLDPE silver plated copper wire that I could use if someone convinces me it would be beneficial.  How many feet of wire does the kit need? Want to make sure I have enough...

My plan is to keep the Mainline stock to enjoy during break in and compare to my other amps.  Then once I get a good feel for the sonic differences, I'll later upgrade caps if I feel the urge (probably will like most of you here).  Are we ever really satisfied enough?

-Robert

Hi Robert - welcome to the party, and congrats on taking the plunge.  She's a wonderful amp and an immensely satisfying build.  I'm not qualified to give anyone advice on enclosures, but I did see a thread where bottlehead recommended using the stock teflon signal wire included with the kit, commenting that it is very high quality hookup wire. You might take a look here: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7491.0
beerchug.gif

atsmile.gif
 a sure cure for any for any cold Eva may have caught!  Live at Blues Alley is one of my favourite albums along with Ruth Moody's These Wilder Things.  

Does this mean you bit on a mainline kit as well Jamie?!?  Saw your thread about the chassis plate size and very much look forward to the photos of your build and eventual impressions if my interpretation is correct.

Also, thanks for the tip on the Ruth Moody album.  I love the Jenny's but haven't sampled her solo stuff.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,042 of 2,108

Oh I didn't realize you already bought the Mainline... I got confused or something. Everyone just ignore everything I've said! Haha

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,043 of 2,108

Does this mean you bit on a mainline kit as well Jamie?!?  Saw your thread about the chassis plate size and very much look forward to the photos of your build and eventual impressions if my interpretation is correct.

Also, thanks for the tip on the Ruth Moody album.  I love the Jenny's but haven't sampled her solo stuff.

Hi Mike, yes I have also taken advantage of Bottleheads Mainline offer. Its been tempting me for some time now, for a short while I was also considering the BH Dac but the offer combined with the advantage that I can also use the Mainline with my vinyl set up swung the decision in the Mainlines favour. The offer was crafty timing on Doc's part being the end of the month on the Friday I received a nice pay cheque  from two long hard months contracting work.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,045 of 2,108

Thanks so much for sharing your detailed and thoughtful comparison Paulie!  Really enjoyed reading through it - what a wealth of information!  Your comments about how the mainline's voicing falls somewhere between a traditional warm totl tube sound and your dynahi are really on point as I hear it, and part of what I think makes me love this amp so much.  I feel like I'm getting to enjoy the best of both worlds in many ways.  Beautiful, detailed, dynamic, resolved sound, and impactful bass, but with just a little more fullness, richer timbre and better sound stage than I would typically expect from even really good solid state - and such natural trebles (as I hear them anyway), that I seem to only associate with excellent non feedback amps.  

Out of curiosity, do you prefer your mainline on the high or low impedance setting?  When I first completed mine, I thought would err towards high with hd800's, but over time, I've found I keep it flipped to low for 90% or more of my listening.  I hear the trade off as a little extra fullness/mid-bass in high impedance mode vs a slightly leaner but tighter presentation, particularly in the deep bass.

In any event, thanks again for sharing all the impressions above, and I hope you continue to find great joy in both of these marvelous amps.  I'll definitely have to keep looking for an opportunity to hear a stratus.  

My pleasure.  I was hesitant about posting because 1) it's really unpolished and basically just me rambling and 2) I was leary that it would sound like I am knocking the Mainline which is certainly not my intent.  I prefer the Mainline on the low impedance setting with the HD800's personally for exactly the reasons you listed.  The Mainline is certainly something special indeed.  If you ever have the chance to hear (or buy) a Stratus, do it.  I really do love that amp: it is magical.  I considered changing it for a EC 445 and even for a brief moment of insanity an Apex Teton.  I've heard the EC and I prefer the DNA.  It's just a wonderfully musical amp.  But now I am just gushing.  

beerchug.gif

Interesting write up thanks, when taken in context with the uber deep pockets required for the highly esteemed DNA Stratus it sounds like you have been pretty impressed with the Mainlines ability. 
atsmile.gif

OMG OMG OMG!!!  You did it!!  You took the plunge!  I am so thrilled for you, Jamie!!  I can't wait to see what you do with your build: you never disappoint.  I am glad that you gathered that I am impressed with the Mainline.  It really is an extraordinary piece of gear and I would recommend it without hesitation.  Then you take the price into account and it's a just a slam dunk (then add the current promo...  wow).  I'm pretty confident that you will never look back once yours is built.  

Your taste in music is obviously impeccable 
etysmile.gif
.  Both the Cassidy and Moody albums, to me, are some of the most enjoyable ones out there and I've been though them more times than I care to admit.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,046 of 2,108
lol Paul thanks and OMG is about what it feels like, I am really looking forward to building the Mainline but will admit to being a little bit daunted by the high standard of those that have gone before. Hopefully the time spent on the bhf combined with a goodly dose of patience will pay off and a neat and tidy build will be the result, fingers crossed.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,047 of 2,108
  lol Paul thanks and OMG is about what it feels like, I am really looking forward to building the Mainline but will admit to being a little bit daunted by the high standard of those that have gone before. Hopefully the time spent on the bhf combined with a goodly dose of patience will pay off and a neat and tidy build will be the result, fingers crossed.

That's silly!  It's like anything Bottlehead - Take you time, you'll be fine.  Especially with all your experience.  It is really not a difficult build (just remember to put the fuse in the actual amp), it just has a lot of steps.  Doc's manual, as always, is easy to follow and very complete.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,048 of 2,108

Hahaha...good to know you feel that way too. Your build was one of them that I used for inspiration.

Although, since I can't afford a Mainline, I have started rebuilding my Crack. Funny how much better I feel about my build now that I have a Stereomour build behind me. Waiting on some new cloth wire, since it does not take kindly to twisting with a drill, and the Speedball. Should be hopefully be completed in a month's time.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,049 of 2,108
Hi all. I've been stalking only for a while due to personal commitments, but really enjoyed your Mainline vs DNA comparison, Paul. It's hard to explain, but I find it kind of comforting to know that the Mainline can be bested for more money while at the same time performing very well against such stiff competition.

Jamie, with no pressure on you I'm keen to see what you come up with for the aesthetics of your Mainline. Or will you honour Doc B with a stock build? :wink:

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,050 of 2,108
Hi all. I've been stalking only for a while due to personal commitments, but really enjoyed your Mainline vs DNA comparison, Paul. It's hard to explain, but I find it kind of comforting to know that the Mainline can be bested for more money while at the same time performing very well against such stiff competition.

Jamie, with no pressure on you I'm keen to see what you come up with for the aesthetics of your Mainline. Or will you honour Doc B with a stock build? :wink:

Well at the moment for the Mainline I can honestly say I don't have a clue what I am going to do and even if I did I would most probably change my mind a few times between now and the day of delivery anyhow!  Saying that I have been sitting on a fun idea for a Crack enclosure for a little while now 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back