Bottled Water or Tap Water?
Apr 18, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #91 of 138
i drink tap water run through a filter... and bottled water whenever I'm out... i dont really like the taste of tap water here, but its different in different areas... i usually like tap water when its near the mountains or somewhere where its icy and cold...

*this thread has made me thirsty
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #92 of 138
I once tried the tap water in a Washington DC hotel, trasted and smelled like someone put a bunch of chemicals in there, was gross. I have to agree with all the statements about water being overpriced.... I'd rather drink gatorade if I'm thirsty. Other than the Washington DC hotel, tap water and bottled water taste pretty much the same, I prefer bottle water though because of the packaging.

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #94 of 138
While a bit OT, in my varied journeys I make it a point to carefully taste the local water. Out of all of these forays, the top two outstanding water samples came from Canada and New Hampshire. This is OT in the sense that most folks will never get to do this on a regular basis, but here is the story.

The Columbia Glacier near Banff/Jasper is my top choice for water. If you take the tour onto the ice fields in their very cool Ice Explorer vehicles you can find glacier melt running in small self-carved streams flowing off the glacier. Our guide, who was a geology graduate student, assured me that it was safe to drink, so we both did belly-flops and sank our faces into the closest stream. It was a transcendental experience! Not only was it super clean tasting, it had an awesome mouthfeel and was the most refreshing thing I can ever recall tasting. Granted this sampling was a limited event, and it might change qualities day-to-day; it also would not stand up to statistical analysis, but it was unforgettable nonetheless.

Second best, IMHO, is the water at the Mount Washington Resort at Bretton Woods in NH. Having a glass of their 'house water' during lunch prompted me to ask about the source. It turns out to be the snow melt from Mt. Wash, which comes into the hotel from the adjacent stream and merely goes through a sand bed for simple filtration. I want more of it!

Cheers,
rudyhf

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #95 of 138
Our water delivery at work was delayed this week, so we went a few days drinking tap. Even to make tea it tasted like licking playground metal, and the intensity varied so you never knew what foulness you were going to pour down your throat. At home I've always been satisfied with filtered tap; unfiltered it smells and tastes like worms (Philadelphia water).

Our bottled water is supplied by Deer Park, which isn't completely awful, but has a distinct plastic taste to me. I drink it without complaint because it's free, but I don't seek it out. This week I went out and tried a few different waters out of boredom, as well as to wash the taste of metal out of my mouth.

Evian - I've never cared for Evian. It has a high mineral content and tastes both dirty and unbalanced to me.

Jana - My first time tasting this water. Similar to Evian with an even higher mineral content and a similar dirty taste, but more balanced.

Fiji - Sweet, refreshing high-in-silica water with a nice, soft mouth feel. A very slight plastic taste prevents it from being as crisp as I would like. Not great water for making tea, in my experience, but delicious otherwise.

Eternal - First time with this one from New Zealand. "Silica-rich" water similar to Fiji but with plastic taste to rival and perhaps best Deer Park. Not good. It also comes in a stupid bottle.

Volvic - Balanced mineral flavor, sweet, crisp and refreshing with a long finish and a pleasant aftertaste. Reminds me a bit of Naya before Danone took over. Excellent water.

365 spring water (rebranded Crystal Geyser, in this case) - Sweet and crisp, no long finish, just straight and to the point. A tiny bit plasticy, but otherwise very, very good. I can't remember if brand Crystal Geyser is better; perhaps it depends on the spring.

Kona Deep - This expensive water has a very smooth, full, refreshing taste and feel to it that gives way to a slight plastic taste, followed by a long finish that tastes something like snow melting in your mouth. Unique and interesting, but it wouldn't be my choice for an everyday water.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #96 of 138
tap water in davis is so hard it could punch me in the face

bottled =0

at home in san jose... i filter tap water =]

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #99 of 138
Bottled for sure. The tap water here tastes and smells like chlorine.

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #100 of 138
Brita filtered water for me. We drink distilled here too, so it tends to be a mix of both. There's no feces in our water supply (AFAIK) lol.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #101 of 138
Tap water for me.
Straight from the tap at home. Filtered and cooled down at work (because its available, not because its needed).

I never drink tap water abroad though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back