Bottled Water or Tap Water?
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #136 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dasani clearly tastes better than tap water, regardless of temperature. I don't see what's wrong with "re-filtered" water.

Nothing is wrong with "re-filtered" water. Typically, the water used for most soft drinks starts out as municipal water that first sits for a period of time in sedimentation tanks to clean it up a bit, and is then further purified, often by reverse osmosis (and since Dasani is manufactured by Coke, I'm assuming it's done similarly). It does come out pretty clean.

But whether it tastes better than tap water depends on many factors, not the least of which is your water source.

My tap water comes from a deep well and tastes much better than Dasani (and tests much better than the local municipal water). I know this because at my office we have vending machines with free drinks in them, and I end up drinking quite a bit of Dasani daily. While I've never done any kind of blinded testing, I think the differences are pretty noticeable.

It should also be mentioned that for many people, the purest water doesn't actually always taste the best. Coke recognizes this and specifically adds salt potassium chloride and magnesium sulfate to their water.

Finally, Dasani is different in different areas of the world, and the Dasani sold near you may be measurably different from the Dasani sold near me.

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #138 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dasani clearly tastes better than tap water, regardless of temperature. I don't see what's wrong with "re-filtered" water.

Nothing inherently wrong with bottled filtered tap water. But there have been things wrong with Dasani:

From Wikipedia:

Dasani was launched in the UK in January 2004.

In March 2004, it became public through an article in The Independent newspaper that the tap water of Sidcup was being treated, bottled and sold under the Dasani brand name in the UK. Although Coca-Cola never implied that the water was being sourced from a spring or other natural source, they marketed it as being especially "pure". Hence, the public revelation of it being simply treated tap water caused a media stir.

UK authorities found a concentration of bromate in the product that could be considered harmful if consumed in large quantities. Dasani was potentially carcinogenic. Coca-Cola recalled half a million bottles and pulled the "Dasani" brand from the UK market on March 19, 2004.[1] Shortly after, plans to introduce the brand to Continental Europe were announced to have been canceled as well. Ironically, bromate was not present in the water before Coca-Cola's treatment process. During that process the bromate was produced from the water's bromide.

Things get worse with Coke | Business | The Guardian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back