Bottled Water or Tap Water?
Feb 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #106 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our water delivery at work was delayed this week, so we went a few days drinking tap. Even to make tea it tasted like licking playground metal, and the intensity varied so you never knew what foulness you were going to pour down your throat. At home I've always been satisfied with filtered tap; unfiltered it smells and tastes like worms (Philadelphia water).

Our bottled water is supplied by Deer Park, which isn't completely awful, but has a distinct plastic taste to me. I drink it without complaint because it's free, but I don't seek it out. This week I went out and tried a few different waters out of boredom, as well as to wash the taste of metal out of my mouth.

Evian - I've never cared for Evian. It has a high mineral content and tastes both dirty and unbalanced to me.

Jana - My first time tasting this water. Similar to Evian with an even higher mineral content and a similar dirty taste, but more balanced.

Fiji - Sweet, refreshing high-in-silica water with a nice, soft mouth feel. A very slight plastic taste prevents it from being as crisp as I would like. Not great water for making tea, in my experience, but delicious otherwise.

Eternal - First time with this one from New Zealand. "Silica-rich" water similar to Fiji but with plastic taste to rival and perhaps best Deer Park. Not good. It also comes in a stupid bottle.

Volvic - Balanced mineral flavor, sweet, crisp and refreshing with a long finish and a pleasant aftertaste. Reminds me a bit of Naya before Danone took over. Excellent water.

365 spring water (rebranded Crystal Geyser, in this case) - Sweet and crisp, no long finish, just straight and to the point. A tiny bit plasticy, but otherwise very, very good. I can't remember if brand Crystal Geyser is better; perhaps it depends on the spring.

Kona Deep - This expensive water has a very smooth, full, refreshing taste and feel to it that gives way to a slight plastic taste, followed by a long finish that tastes something like snow melting in your mouth. Unique and interesting, but it wouldn't be my choice for an everyday water.

You must have a golden tongue.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #107 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have a golden tongue.

All had distinct flavors on a relative scale with careful tasting. It was almost like comparing cables.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #108 of 138
Being able to taste differences isn't so surprising. I grew up in a house that got it's water from a spring embedded in limestone - so I'm used to water with plenty of calcium in it but very little magnesium - hard water, but what precipitates when it's boiled is pure white. When it's more yellow, you've got magnesium.

When i moved to a city where 80% of the water is "surface water" purified by the addition of aluminum sulfate and a precipitant, I had to start filtering it. It was disgusting.

Relative rankings of bottled water, however, can be somewhat suspect:

ICM Commercial & Business News - Thames Water beats bottled taste

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #109 of 138
Well here in Sweden we are blessed by having among the purest tapped water in the world, so I never drink anything else than tapped water. At our country house the water is excellent, way better than any bottled water IMO.

And yes, there is a significant difference in taste between the water of southern and northern Sweden.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #110 of 138
460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_114361.jpg

I can no longer sit back and allow communist
infiltration, communist indoctrination,
communist subversion, and the international
communist conspiracy to sap and impurify
all of our precious bodily fluids.

--Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #111 of 138
I like the bottled stuff with the splenda flavoring in it. Strawberry, tropical etc. Pretty good stuff. I have to drink it here in college, because all of out Uni's water is from wells. Its really hard, and smells like iron and acid.
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #115 of 138
I vote for tap water,it saves on plastic waste and other associated energy costs that bottled water has.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #116 of 138
We supposedly have some of best tap in the state, yet the water gives me diarrhea. A form of racial cleansing? Perhaps.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #117 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We supposedly have some of best tap in the state, yet the water gives me diarrhea. A form of racial cleansing? Perhaps.

Diarrhea is not a race.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #118 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diarrhea is not a race.

I believe the state is using tainted tap water to give minorities fatal diarrhea.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #120 of 138
Here's my preference in different kind of waters, descending:

1. Glacier (haven't tried any bad tasting glacier water, so all brands inc.)
2. Fiji
3. ... I can't remember the name, but it's in a glass cylinder
4. Dasani
5. "ozonated" water I get from the local water depot
6. Costco/Kirkland
7. Evian
8. tap water
9. well water
10. no water

Users who are viewing this thread

Back