Bose.
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #16 of 55
bose=QUALITY

sarcasm=gold
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 55
If your friend is getting headphones to "DJ," I don't think any harm can be done by buying Bose. DJs are not audiophiles. They aren't listening for themselves. They aren't kicking back to enjoy the music in a quiet environment. They are cueing up music for other people, and the ambiance is often about as euphonic as an hour at a bowling alley.

Bose makes bass-heavy phones, some with noise cancellation technology and some without it. The company's founder cut his teeth on noise-cancellation technology for aviation headsets. In that regard, he deserves his accolades. Where Bose gets into trouble, both for value as well as performance, is in selling cheap audio equipment at a mark-up that would make Nike blush. A lot of their products are a few steps above the cheap stuff but at dramatically inflated prices. For example, Bose makes something called the Wave Radio which is basically a clock radio with cheap speakers that are wired out of phase to create something similar to a comb filter. It sounds better than a clock radio, but then it should for the hundreds of dollars Bose wants for the system.

Bose sells a lot of headphone through outlets like Best Buy. You typically get a better cross-section of their phones through the Bose store in many malls since the department stores (like Best Buy) have a tendency to sell Bose's cheaper phones. Some of the demos are in less than perfect condition, but I did hear a better demo center at a Target, one that gave me the kind of presentation that would give Bose its best shot at selling the wares. What I heard wasn't bad. It sounded clearer than some of the Bose headphones I've heard elsewhere, with decent bass.

Bose gets hammered by headfiers because, for the money, there are more audiophilic cans, and in gracious abundance. But many people like what Bose is selling. They like the name brand, which gives them status conferral. They also like the slam of the Bose headphones. If you side-by-side a Bose with a decent AKG, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audiotechnica, Ultrasone, et cetera, the audiophile will tell the difference even if Joe Public doesn't.

I can remember stopping by a Bose store in the mall, on my way from a trip to the Apple Store. I was carrying a pair of RS-1s and the Bose guy asked me if they were an old pair of headphones. He thought I was pathetically listening to some junk because I couldn't afford a pair of Bose's cheapest offerings. He had no inkling that my cans cost four times the ones he was selling. Why should a Bose salesman know anything about sound equipment?

But honestly, I'd still give Bose its due. For DJ headphones, they're harmless. Let your friend have his moment in the sun. For his tastes, Bose may be the greatest thing ever made. Why deprive him of that? Most people are not audiophiles - and $300 for a pair of headphones is a "major investment." Around here, it's a down payment.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes you have to step back and let people make their own mistakes.

This is true, but if I know there is something much better quality for the same price I would tell my friend. It's one thing if they are hellbent on purchasing bose, in that case I would let them do what they want. If they want bose but are open to suggestions, I would try to help them and suggest looking into another brand that isn't just all about the hype.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

If your friend is getting headphones to "DJ," I don't think any harm can be done by buying Bose. DJs are not audiophiles. They aren't listening for themselves. They aren't kicking back to enjoy the music in a quiet environment. They are cueing up music for other people, and the ambiance is often about as euphonic as an hour at a bowling alley.

Bose makes bass-heavy phones, some with noise cancellation technology and some without it. The company's founder cut his teeth on noise-cancellation technology for aviation headsets. In that regard, he deserves his accolades. Where Bose gets into trouble, both for value as well as performance, is in selling cheap audio equipment at a mark-up that would make Nike blush. A lot of their products are a few steps above the cheap stuff but at dramatically inflated prices. For example, Bose makes something called the Wave Radio which is basically a clock radio with cheap speakers that are wired out of phase to create something similar to a comb filter. It sounds better than a clock radio, but then it should for the hundreds of dollars Bose wants for the system.

Bose sells a lot of headphone through outlets like Best Buy. You typically get a better cross-section of their phones through the Bose store in many malls since the department stores (like Best Buy) have a tendency to sell Bose's cheaper phones. Some of the demos are in less than perfect condition, but I did hear a better demo center at a Target, one that gave me the kind of presentation that would give Bose its best shot at selling the wares. What I heard wasn't bad. It sounded clearer than some of the Bose headphones I've heard elsewhere, with decent bass.

Bose gets hammered by headfiers because, for the money, there are more audiophilic cans, and in gracious abundance. But many people like what Bose is selling. They like the name brand, which gives them status conferral. They also like the slam of the Bose headphones. If you side-by-side a Bose with a decent AKG, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audiotechnica, Ultrasone, et cetera, the audiophile will tell the difference even if Joe Public doesn't.

I can remember stopping by a Bose store in the mall, on my way from a trip to the Apple Store. I was carrying a pair of RS-1s and the Bose guy asked me if they were an old pair of headphones. He thought I was pathetically listening to some junk because I couldn't afford a pair of Bose's cheapest offerings. He had no inkling that my cans cost four times the ones he was selling. Why should a Bose salesman know anything about sound equipment?

But honestly, I'd still give Bose its due. For DJ headphones, they're harmless. Let your friend have his moment in the sun. For his tastes, Bose may be the greatest thing ever made. Why deprive him of that? Most people are not audiophiles - and $300 for a pair of headphones is a "major investment." Around here, it's a down payment.

The GP buy whatever retailers put out. They don't do their own research, and are in ways like sheep. I want a good headphone. I go to Best Buy. They sell the best headphones. It's like living in a jar, the way people limit themselves. Cables are the worst. Why do cables cost so much at BB, customers complain. Um.. Ever search on line? Many people like to be spoon fed, others are lazy. They complain about price but never look for a cheaper alternative. Some salesman even joke about it.. I got this guy to spend 200 on monster cables.. He..He.. Off topic.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #24 of 55
For DJing, I say Ultrasone PROline. The 900s might be a stretch for the budget but are fun as heck! I'd maybe look into the 550/650 though, or maybe finding a used 750 could fit in a modest budget. I think the PROline definitely need an amp though, at least to get a similarly fun sound as the HFI stuff. Honestly though, for DJ'ing, any well-built, robust pair works well. I've just come to enjoy Ultrasone the most for what I do
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Mate all that you've typed is just nice and real.

I can associate with what you've said about the visit to the Bose mall,I have done what you have
wink.gif

The other day I went to JB hi-Fi a decent electronic superstore, I will give them that, I was there to collect my Sennheiser Headphone Holder which I had ordered, the salesgirl seemed very nice and briefly described that the headphones around my neck-HD 25's were ol skool and she still liked them.
I have a feeling she didn't even kno which ones they were even though their store sold them for a marked price of 600 dollars.I smiled and payed for my purchase.

And the headphone holder was for my 325is if you wanted to know.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 55
Sennheiser HD 25 (lightweight, durable and great noise blocking), other ones you should consider are the Technics headphones and Ultrasone. A lot of people ignore the fact that a lot of swiveling is essential to the DJ, because a lot of DJ's like to listen to one cup only from time to time.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy Other Sound Equipment. Yes, do a search.

kinda wondering why thread wasn't ended here?
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_face_2 :
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_face_ 2:
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_face _2:
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_fac e_2:
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_fa ce_2:
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_f ace_2:
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #30 of 55
Face it, for any kind of serious DJ use, you will not care about the quality of the music. You're playing in a high noise environment, you need headphones that will survive your beating and still smile. You need headphones that will let you hear the count (kicks if you're mixing any kind of techno/trance/electro/house/etc)

Bose, while it may have that "awesome" reputation amongst mainstream consumers, is a very very flimsy product and will not survive long unless you plan on focusing on your headphones instead of the set you're playing for the crowd (or yourself, if you're a bedroomer)

I can recommend several headphones in the "bose" pricerange....

I've read everywhere that the
-Technics RPDH1200 are the most solid headphones ..tanks really..but they are quite heavy.
-The Denon DN-HP1000s (or 700s if you're on a tigher budget) ..are quite good..I personally own them. Off a portable source they're alright..but properly amped (IE: powered mixer) you will feel the music just as you feel it walking into a concert/club.
-Allen & Heath Xone XD:53 I've heard are quite awesome..heavy-duty and great output
-Sennheiser HD-25...These are quite good..if you don't like circumaural..these are for you..and sennheiser replaces all parts!
-Sony MDR V700 DJ...The most popular headphones in the DJ industry..but the least durable from what I've heard..you can get them quite cheap from several websites, and some dealers on ebay. WATCH FOR FAKES!
-Pioneer HDJ1000..These are great, but I find they don't clamp hard enough..maybe I'm just used to the DN-HP1000s ..
-many more from Ultrasone, Stanton, AKG, etc

In all honesty however..it really comes down to personal choice..choose whichever you prefer, without worrying about SQ..just worry about build quality, weight, and looks (if those matter)..they will all put out great sound, you wont be disappointed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back