Bose
Jan 5, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #18 of 38
vouching for the ad700s.
Unless you like distorted bass in your classical music, screwing everything else up, get the ATs. I compared both at a best buy (yeah, I bought the ad700s in. Got some looks.) and the bose was just all around worse. However, it was fairly quiet in the store, so I didn't have to deal with stuff that would usually make the ad700s sound worse.
And the difference between the ad700 and a700 is pretty big. Their whole sound signatures are different because of being closed.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 38
Well, I was sold and went to purchase a set of AD700, but anywhere with a reasonable price (100 and under shipped) was out of stock... in fact, I didn't see any websites in stock. What's the second choice?

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 38
Jan 5, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 38
Well just remember: BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

The AD700's are great and I paid $180aud shipped for mine brand new. I would pay $400 for them if I had to, they are definately worth it for gaming alone. Music, I prefer a smaller soundstage with a lot more bass and agressive tone.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 38
In case it wasn't made clear, Bose is lousy at any price. I'd rather listen to my Apple iBuds rahter than listen to Bose. Take the recommendations here and forget about Bose.

For the record, yes, I have heard the Bose line and listen to it every 6-10 weeks. There's a Bose store in the mall across from the office. I spend my lunch hour in the mall and pop in there for a listen every month or two.

In addition to the Bose line, I've either owned or listened to most major headphones out there.

Bose sucks. I don't hear any redeeming qualities in them. It's not bias. I'll buy from any manucturer that produces good sound. Bose doesn't. If, for whatever reason, Bose produces something worth listening to, I'd be pleased to buy it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case it wasn't made clear, Bose is lousy at any price. I'd rather listen to my Apple iBuds rahter than listen to Bose. Take the recommendations here and forget about Bose.

For the record, yes, I have heard the Bose line and listen to it every 6-10 weeks. There's a Bose store in the mall across from the office. I spend my lunch hour in the mall and pop in there for a listen every month or two.

In addition to the Bose line, I've either owned or listened to most major headphones out there.

Bose sucks. I don't hear any redeeming qualities in them. It's not bias. I'll buy from any manucturer that produces good sound. Bose doesn't. If, for whatever reason, Bose produces something worth listening to, I'd be pleased to buy it.

Gee uncle erik, get off the fence and tell us what you really think....

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #26 of 38
The AD700 and A700 are different headphones. Aside from being closed and open they have different frequency response and range. If you can't go a penny over $100 then the Hd555 is not an option. The AD700 are good and widely recommended, so you won't be disappointed. Please do not buy a FiiO E5 it degrades audio quality and just increases volume. The cMoy is a far better amp.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
Even though many dislike Bose here, I purchased Around Ears but found them a pain to wear. Went back to exchange them for Bose On Ears which I really like. They are a little fragile so if you just leave them in one place and do not try and take them outside, you would be fine.

You really think the Bose on ear headphones are fragile?
confused.gif

I use those as my beater headphones and when I travel. I throw them into backpacks, set them wherever, take them wherever. They're seriously indestructible.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 38

This quote shows how arrogant people on here can become.  It's absolutely ridiculous to prefer iBuds over Bose.  I gotta wonder if you've even heard a Bose headphone.

Quote:

I sure have.

There is a Bose Store in the mall across from the place I worked for seven years. During lunch hours, I'd occasionally go in to listen.

The Bose headphones are terrible sounding. Some are comfortable, which is the only nice thing I can say. Well, their salesmen are pretty nice, too. But the sound quality is garbage. They tend to be tonally off, muddy, poorly made, and dramatically overpriced. Bose is junk, through and through. Shame they don't redirect their advertising budget to engineering.

The sad thing is that Bose is capable of making a good headphone. They have the capital, distribution, sales network, manufacturing, and everything else necessary to manufacture a world-class headphone.

Instead, Bose chooses to make the cheapest possible headphones with the biggest pricetag the market will bear and marketing them to the lowest common denominator as "quality."

And if that isn't arrogance, I don't know what is.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 38
I had some Triports back in 2004 when I didn't have a clue about good sound quality. I always loved them and they were my upgrade from some $40 Sony Fontopia earbuds. I always felt later on that they really just sounded like a $75 headphone with terrible build quality. These days you can probably find a headphone for $50 that sounds better. I'd say maybe the Maxell DHP-II. The build quality is also the same!

I could have sworn that I actually upgraded to a HD-580 and HATED them. Pretty sure it was the HD-580 or maybe the 555. I actually preferred the sound out of my triports! I didn't have an amp and that's most likely why.

I'd love to try them again, but there's a pretty good chance I won't like them as much. I'd gladly take those over any earbud. I actually haven't heard any of the stock Ipod versions though.

I don't care if they're made by Bose. I don't buy them anymore though because of the poor build quality and being overpriced. I did however feel that despite the sound quality, they were not worth the price I paid.

I'd glady use a pair of free Triports over any earbud, but if I had to pay $150 for them, forget it.

If I could find my original Triports for under $50 i'd like to try them out again. Couldn't be THAT bad, but maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back