Bose, Wesc, or Dr. Dre?
Apr 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 91

Quote:
None of these brands offer a good value for your money though.

True..why not go for something better for the money? 

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #34 of 91
consider sennheiser, grado, beyerdynamic, and denon.. 

well i can't blame you for having dre in your lists, people always say, "hey sennheisers? BOSE AND BEATS are better, ive seen dre's in IDOL last night". /sigh

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #35 of 91

yep, they are very well advertised in tv network channels, in cinemas, even in tv billboards!

Quote:
consider sennheiser, grado, beyerdynamic, and denon.. 

well i can't blame you for having dre in your lists, people always say, "hey sennheisers? BOSE AND BEATS are better, ive seen dre's in IDOL last night". /sigh

That's why you cannot blame your friends telling you that you shold get also those Dr Dre Beats Pro if you are a music lover!

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #36 of 91
what i notice is that Dre pro its self is quite decent, there wasn't much if any degradation from the sound cancelling only if you don't mind the boom in mids. And it dose offer a stylish look and certain mobility. The sound cancelling feature could be useful for someone. However charging around $349 ( the new pro vesion, i think is 350 ) is way too much. At this price level, it's gonna go toe to toe with some serious upper-mid, high class reference cans, like 990T, HD600/650. For what it offers, it would only be fair if they charge it $150 top( that's how much M50s on Amazon.) And it's not due to it's sound quality but the features it offered. In term of SQ M50 is at a whole different league. It's been well regarded as one of the best dynamic close cans.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #37 of 91
I always thought dres were overpriced haha. I always thought it would be because it is everywhere and so many celebrities use it. They know people will want to get it. However, I had no idea bose was overpriced though. I always thought bose,jbl, and shure were something like benz, bmw, and audi in the sound industry. 
Anyways, I have decided on getting the akg k518
beerchug.gif
. Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advices!
popcorn.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #38 of 91
I hope you'll enjoy them! The K518 is a good place to start. Perhaps you will get upgradeitis and start looking at other cans. It has happened to most of us here on Head fi. Just look my signature...

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #39 of 91
hahaha thanks I hope Ill enjoy them too! Yes ive been noticing everyones signatures. You guys sure are serious about headphones :)
Currently im borrowing my friends bose AE. Its not the new AE2 . By the way what are amps? How much are they usually and what are they used for? Ive been seeing them mentioned here and there.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #40 of 91

Quote:
hahaha thanks I hope Ill enjoy them too! Yes ive been noticing everyones signatures. You guys sure are serious about headphones :)
Currently im borrowing my friends bose AE. Its not the new AE2 . By the way what are amps? How much are they usually and what are they used for? Ive been seeing them mentioned here and there.

Amps are exactly what the name implies.  They are amplifiers that boost the audio level.  With a lot of high-end phone, the impedance is high, and the dynamic response is low.  A lot of portable players don't have the power to drive these cans, so amps are needed.  Also, virtually every home music player (turn table, CD player, etc), don't have an amp built in, so the output signal is very weak, and must be boosted to attain good listening levels.  

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #42 of 91

Quote:
Are you serious man?

I heard those headphones many times, because they were all commercially available in the market (with the setup they had simulating a noise inside a plane), and they don't even sound close to the top-tier-iems...they are abit overpriced but they are not that good enough to compete a hifi market, price to cost ratio.

Last time, I was also tempted to buy these brands, name it: Beats Pro/ Beats IEM, Bose QC2/3...I tried them many times in each of their shops. Well, they are good phones but the prices are not reasonable for their SQ. So that's how I researched and came to Headfi. (the only brand the I tried was Shure 530, which is very good last time, but price is very stellar also).

Believe me, if you have tried a lot of top-tier open/closed headphones or universal/custom top-iems then you will tell those Bose and Beats headphones as overrated advertised cans...they are not that bad but they are not better with those underpriced cans either....even some newer Skullcandies can be better with their SQs.

Sorry @bisayaboi, I know you already reviewed SM3 in the appreciation page, please make it clear that you intended to kid around. Lets help people develop a better hifi experience if we intend to.

I think he was being ironic...
Successful troll is successful

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #43 of 91

Quote:
Are you serious man?

I heard those headphones many times, because they were all commercially available in the market (with the setup they had simulating a noise inside a plane), and they don't even sound close to the top-tier-iems...they are abit overpriced but they are not that good enough to compete a hifi market, price to cost ratio.

Last time, I was also tempted to buy these brands, name it: Beats Pro/ Beats IEM, Bose QC2/3...I tried them many times in each of their shops. Well, they are good phones but the prices are not reasonable for their SQ. So that's how I researched and came to Headfi. (the only brand the I tried was Shure 530, which is very good last time, but price is very stellar also).

Believe me, if you have tried a lot of top-tier open/closed headphones or universal/custom top-iems then you will tell those Bose and Beats headphones as overrated advertised cans...they are not that bad but they are not better with those underpriced cans either....even some newer Skullcandies can be better with their SQs.

Sorry @bisayaboi, I know you already reviewed SM3 in the appreciation page, please make it clear that you intended to kid around. Lets help people develop a better hifi experience if we intend to.

Hey man it's all about subjectivity. Some people find heaven with Apple Earbuds and I'm in 7th heaven with my Skullcandy Skullcrushers.

Quote:

I'm serious.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #44 of 91
It is a shame no one mentioned the K181 DJ, two bass settings with the flick of a switch and a sound quality that is better than expected. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #45 of 91

Quote:
It is a shame no one mentioned the K181 DJ, two bass settings with the flick of a switch and a sound quality that is better than expected. 

Yeah, they beat the K81 & K518. But cost at least 2, perhaps 3 times as much. The K518 are a small investment and give a lot of quality for a relatively small amount. When you get into the price level where the K181 can be found, a lot of other good options are available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back