Bose, Wesc, or Dr. Dre?
Apr 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 91

Quote:
woah didnt know i would have so many names thrown at me. Thanks anyways! Im reading online about all the suggested headphones. For some reason wesc and bose are very tempting. I see a lot dj's use the wesc and bose is just tempting im not sure why.

Well, if you still get one of the ones you suggested, get Bose. You'll have to pay through your nose for sound quality that you could get for much less money. WESC is just a joke. But not even bother with headphones with fancy design that primaily are sold as fashion accessories.

About the AKG K518, you could at least try them out. They sound surprisingly good for a cheap buck. The only differences between the LE and DJ versions are the cord length and the colors. The DJ is all black and the LE comes in 7 different colors.

Edit:
K518 DJ:

K518 LE:

There's also the K81 which is the same as the K518, but older:

I think this is the newest one, the K519. I think it is pretty the same as well, just silver colored:

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #18 of 91

Quote:
I think i might go with the akg k518. What other differences are there between the LE and the DJ other than the chord lenght?

Well if you were willing to spend $150 for a Bose AE2, you might as well just get an ATH-M50.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #20 of 91

Quote:
Well if you were willing to spend $150 for a Bose AE2, you might as well just get an ATH-M50.

The ATH-M50 are great sounding, but they are not the most portable phones. If you have the coiled cord version, as I do, they can get a bit heavy. For home listening, they're great! But for portable listening combined with DJing, I'd get something a little bit lighter.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 91
I respectfully disagree as my coiled m50s go with me nearly everywhere. As far as djing goes, many dj cans (i.e. A&H Xone XD-53, Pioneer HDJ-2000/1000, Sony MDR-v700, as well as Stanton Pro series) are all of similar or greater size and are used by the most renowned djs in the world. I would not be surprised to see some m50s pop up in dj circles at all. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
The ATH-M50 are great sounding, but they are not the most portable phones. If you have the coiled cord version, as I do, they can get a bit heavy. For home listening, they're great! But for portable listening combined with DJing, I'd get something a little bit lighter.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 91
For pure portability he might as well go for IEM's. The Shure SRH750DJ is also another good choice.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #23 of 91

Quote:
I respectfully disagree as my coiled m50s go with me nearly everywhere. As far as djing goes, many dj cans (i.e. A&H Xone XD-53, Pioneer HDJ-2000/1000, Sony MDR-v700, as well as Stanton Pro series) are all of similar or greater size and are used by the most renowned djs in the world. I would not be surprised to see some m50s pop up in dj circles at all. 
beerchug.gif

Well, perhaps you have headbanged a bit more in your days than I have, so your neck muscles are stronger... 
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #24 of 91

Quote:
Go for HFI580

X2 you will be much happier, and if your going for hipster use you can say its an obscure brand name Ultrasone!!!! they about about the same price as the beats or bose but way way way better.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #25 of 91
The AKG K518 is a great bassy and colorful (literally) option. The Shure SRH750DJ are more detailed and still very bassy, also more expensive.
The M50s get great reviews here, and maybe the HFI 580 are something to consider - haven't tried these 2 but they are famous for your kind of need.
The AIAIAI TMA I tried were decent, it was some time ago and I can't really recal, but unless priced under 50$ not something to consider much.

Oh and you get like 40 replies in 5 minutes if you include "Bose", "Skullcandy" or "Beats" in your thread title.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #26 of 91
Im really starting to like the akg k518. Im reading a lot of good reviews on it especially that its "worth the money" and that they sound splendid with electro/house type music(yea!). But Im willing to spend about 100$. Im also considering the shure srh440 right now, its price range is spot on for me.
Does anyone know if the chord on the srh440 is 3 meters when it is stretched or when it is coiled? Also which one of the two should I go for considering my preferences?

Thank you for all the suggestions and help! 

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #27 of 91

Quote:
Im really starting to like the akg k518. Im reading a lot of good reviews on it especially that its "worth the money" and that they sound splendid with electro/house type music(yea!). But Im willing to spend about 100$. Im also considering the shure srh440 right now, its price range is spot on for me.
Does anyone know if the chord on the srh440 is 3 meters when it is stretched or when it is coiled? Also which one of the two should I go for considering my preferences?

Thank you for all the suggestions and help! 

the srh440 is very bass light. so it might not match your music preferences. though to answer your question. i own the srh840 and the cord is the same length. when its not stretched its a fair length but the cord is fairly heavy. and can be a nuisence for some people. though i hardly notice it. anyways i would recommend a bass heavy headphone.
i will vote for the k518 from what i read they would suit your needs. but take my view with a grain of salt cause i haven't tried them. i have heard the srh750dj though and they have good bass. they would match your genre well.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 91
Are you serious man?

I heard those headphones many times, because they were all commercially available in the market (with the setup they had simulating a noise inside a plane), and they don't even sound close to the top-tier-iems...they are abit overpriced but they are not that good enough to compete a hifi market, price to cost ratio.

Last time, I was also tempted to buy these brands, name it: Beats Pro/ Beats IEM, Bose QC2/3...I tried them many times in each of their shops. Well, they are good phones but the prices are not reasonable for their SQ. So that's how I researched and came to Headfi. (the only brand the I tried was Shure 530, which is very good last time, but price is very stellar also).

Believe me, if you have tried a lot of top-tier open/closed headphones or universal/custom top-iems then you will tell those Bose and Beats headphones as overrated advertised cans...they are not that bad but they are not better with those underpriced cans either....even some newer Skullcandies can be better with their SQs.

Sorry @bisayaboi, I know you already reviewed SM3 in the appreciation page, please make it clear that you intended to kid around. Lets help people develop a better hifi experience if we intend to.

Quote:
No man you were right all along. WESC and Bose are the best brands to get. The make my Sennheiser HD650 and Earsonics SM3 sound like trash. I wish I never spent so much money on these. :frowning2:

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #30 of 91
Bose IMO is a slight league above Dre and Skullcandy phones (in general). I havent heard a wesc yet.  

None of these brands offer a good value for your money though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back