Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Jun 21, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #136 of 1,152
Having used the Bose QC35 for a few days now with the latest firmware the sound quality is Crisp and Clear. I like the Way Base is managed which is sufficient at both low volume and high. Other Headphones Manufacturers could learn from this where there seems to be some dynamic Base Management according to volume level.

There is however something I am disappointed in regarding audio quality or more to do with audio tone, which is sharp "sssssss" sibilance especially at higher volumes. I do not like this personally, but it maybe the Bose Sound signature.

I may have to return these headphones to Amazon due to the sharp "ssssss" tonal signature. Many people will be perfectly happy with it, but does not agree with me and at times i feel like i have just experienced the dentist drill.

In all other matters it is exceptional and scores well above the competition for:
Bluetooth connectivity + ANC + Design + Build quality + Bose App + Bose carry case + Bose support + Value.

What's the latest firmware, and how can I get it? Thx.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My iPhone 6 Plus updated automatically which I could see via the Bose App.
Go to Settings / Product details in the Bose App and the latest version is 1.0.5.

I do not know if it has been rolled out on your Nexus 6P operating system. Perhaps someone else who has the same Mobile OS can answer if it is available.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #137 of 1,152
My iPhone 6 Plus updated automatically which I could see via the Bose App.
Go to Settings / Product details in the Bose App and the latest version is 1.0.5.

I do not know if it has been rolled out on your Nexus 6P operating system. Perhaps someone else who has the same Mobile OS can answer if it is available.

My QC35's updated to 1.05 via the Bose Connect for Android-app on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Nexus 6P.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #138 of 1,152
So just bought QC35 in black. Listening to Total Belief by Malcolm Middleton on Tidal HiFi on an iPhone 6 Plus, and very happy. Loads of space, complex acoustic guitar shining through no problem. You can hear his fingers on the strings no problem, which is always a good test.

However, my acid test for new headphones is Fallout by the Devin Townsend Project - massively layered and heavy. QC35s struggled a bit here and sounded muddy. All round I'm not sure they're tuned all that well for the heavy stuff, maybe the mids are too recessed, but for everything else it's pretty good. I don't get the sibilance others do, might just be my ears.

I haven't listened to QC25s, but I'd say these are a little more bassy than my QC15s and a little bit less tight. But it's only hour 2 of listening, so I'll burn them in some more.

Comfort - brilliant. ANC - just as good as the QC15s.

My big point of comparison is on-ear Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0. I think the sound on the Sennies is much more forward and much more engaging to listen to. Heavy stuff in particular is just more enjoyable (DTP again, melodic death stuff like Moonsorrow or metalcore like Lacuna Coil and Killswitch Engage). However! The clamping on the Sennies is really strong and can get pretty uncomfortable if you're wearing your Gregory Pecks. I got the late version which should have sorted the Bluetooth glitches, but I've found it's far from perfect. Wind is a big issue on phone calls (haven't tested the Bose for this yet). And the wee multifunction joystick type thing on the Sennheisers is a royal pain in the ass - the 3-button thing on the Bose is much better.

Overall I'm just a wee bit disappointed in the sound, but hopefully it'll open out once they're burned in. But as a regular plane/train jockey there's no question that the QC35s will be my constant companion, probably until some scrote spots them, hits me over the head and nicks them. I had planned to sell the Sennheisers on, but just not sure now, might keep them for office listening...

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #142 of 1,152
  So just bought QC35 in black. Listening to Total Belief by Malcolm Middleton on Tidal HiFi on an iPhone 6 Plus, and very happy. Loads of space, complex acoustic guitar shining through no problem. You can hear his fingers on the strings no problem, which is always a good test.

However, my acid test for new headphones is Fallout by the Devin Townsend Project - massively layered and heavy. QC35s struggled a bit here and sounded muddy. All round I'm not sure they're tuned all that well for the heavy stuff, maybe the mids are too recessed, but for everything else it's pretty good. I don't get the sibilance others do, might just be my ears.

I haven't listened to QC25s, but I'd say these are a little more bassy than my QC15s and a little bit less tight. But it's only hour 2 of listening, so I'll burn them in some more.

Comfort - brilliant. ANC - just as good as the QC15s.

My big point of comparison is on-ear Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0. I think the sound on the Sennies is much more forward and much more engaging to listen to. Heavy stuff in particular is just more enjoyable (DTP again, melodic death stuff like Moonsorrow or metalcore like Lacuna Coil and Killswitch Engage). However! The clamping on the Sennies is really strong and can get pretty uncomfortable if you're wearing your Gregory Pecks. I got the late version which should have sorted the Bluetooth glitches, but I've found it's far from perfect. Wind is a big issue on phone calls (haven't tested the Bose for this yet). And the wee multifunction joystick type thing on the Sennheisers is a royal pain in the ass - the 3-button thing on the Bose is much better.

Overall I'm just a wee bit disappointed in the sound, but hopefully it'll open out once they're burned in. But as a regular plane/train jockey there's no question that the QC35s will be my constant companion, probably until some scrote spots them, hits me over the head and nicks them. I had planned to sell the Sennheisers on, but just not sure now, might keep them for office listening...

Nice review. Reading too many "bit disappointed" comments so I am gonna wait for the QC30s in September. Always liked the QC20s but hated the wire and control module. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #145 of 1,152
To those who owned the Momentum 2.0 AEBT and Bose QC35, how's the noise cancelling between the two? From the reviews I have read, the ANC on Bose QC35 is clearly the superior but how does the AEBT fare against it? Is it that bad? Say in a bus, will you hear the conversation of other people when you wear the AEBT/QC35?

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #146 of 1,152
Jun 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #147 of 1,152
  http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11975496/bose-qc-35-bluetooth-wireless-headphones-quietcomfort-flawed

This is alarming. Can anyone verify this? Was looking into a pair but this.

Definitely nothing wrong with my pair (or most that have reported)...most likely a defective pair on his end?

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #148 of 1,152
Definitely nothing wrong with my pair (or most that have reported)...most likely a defective pair on his end?

I agree. I find no such limitations. On par, or better than, my Momentum Wireless 2.0.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #149 of 1,152

Users who are viewing this thread

Back