Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Jun 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #152 of 1,152

Yes, can anyone else confirm?

I also only see SBC.

I can confirm it does support AAC coded, but Mac OS X Bluetooth implementation is buggy. I had to download the latest version of Bluetooth Explorer (an Apple developer tool for Mac combined in the Hardware IO Tools), and enable AAC in the Audio Options. I have no idea why it was not enabled earlier, but I have tweaked Bluetooth settings before on the Mac. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #153 of 1,152
Went to the Bose store to listen to these and are impressed. Its sound is tuned differently than the QC25s. Bose tipped the highs up some and there is a little more clarity in the midrange.

Spoke to the Bose employee about the new Bluetooth standard coming out, and he stated Bose was aware and the headphones are software upgradeable to handle the new standard.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #154 of 1,152
Went to the Bose store to listen to these and are impressed. Its sound is tuned differently than the QC25s. Bose tipped the highs up some and there is a little more clarity in the midrange.

Spoke to the Bose employee about the new Bluetooth standard coming out, and he stated Bose was aware and the headphones are software upgradeable to handle the new standard.

I would be careful believing that statement. BT 5 will require new hardware to implement the higher speed and range.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #155 of 1,152

Just spent a couple of hours on my Mac trying to make AAC on QC35 to work. It doesn't seem to support AAC. Even if you enable it through Bluetooth Explorer, the connection establishes only on SBC. I did test other headphones afterwards though and I could connect either using AAC or Apt-X. That rules out any wrong configuration of the system.

So, only SBC for QC35.

Quick Update: (Fortunately) Seems that I had to remove and pair again the bose. Now it is connected through AAC :p . Thanks to rrocha that made clear the AAC support.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #156 of 1,152

Hello, this is incorrect as I have confirmation from Bose support via email stating that new hardware will be required for Bluetooth 5.0. They also stated that it is unlikely to improve the actual sound quality based on the BT5 spec. However the QC35 will be compatible with BT5 devices but will not deliver BT5 features such as this increased range.

This is why I did not bother to wait as sound quality is critical importance to me and many if the new flagship phones out later this year are likely to have BT5. IPhone 7 i hope.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #157 of 1,152
Hello, this is incorrect as I have confirmation from Bose support via email stating that new hardware will be required for Bluetooth 5.0. They also stated that it is unlikely to improve the actual sound quality based on the BT5 spec. However the QC35 will be compatible with BT5 devices but will not deliver BT5 features such as this increased range.

This is why I did not bother to wait as sound quality is critical importance to me and many if the new flagship phones out later this year are likely to have BT5. IPhone 7 i hope.

Thanks for the info, may just wait on the sidelines till hardware such as Iphone7 start using BT5.

Will be intersesting if Bose debut a QC35 II that will be BT5 compatible.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #159 of 1,152
Definitely nothing wrong with my pair (or most that have reported)...most likely a defective pair on his end?

I agree. I find no such limitations. On par, or better than, my Momentum Wireless 2.0.

From a listening session with Spotify Premium and Loosless tracks the Senn Momentum 2.0 Wireless are inferior in terms of:
Speed, Accuracy, Clarity, Detail

Actually surprisingly my Sennn HD650 also falls short of Speed for some tracks compared to the Bose QC35. Senn HD650 driven by Creative E5 Soundblaster.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #161 of 1,152
Yep, I have listened to all types of music at very high volume levels and haven't experienced anything remotely like that.

If it weren't for my drop out issues I would say these headphones are almost perfect for me.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #164 of 1,152

Yes, can anyone else confirm?

I also only see SBC.

I can confirm it does support AAC coded, but Mac OS X Bluetooth implementation is buggy. I had to download the latest version of Bluetooth Explorer (an Apple developer tool for Mac combined in the Hardware IO Tools), and enable AAC in the Audio Options. I have no idea why it was not enabled earlier, but I have tweaked Bluetooth settings before on the Mac. 

Thank you Retroper,

I have an iMac running Yosemite and it does not show AAC when connected to the QC35. Please may I ask where to download the Bluetooth Explorer software? I found something in the iMac App store which is not free and has very bad reviews.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #165 of 1,152
You can download the dmg in https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?name=for%20Xcode
It is called Hardware IO Tools for Xcode 7.3 (current version). Mounting that image will reveal BT Explorer. You open the app (which doesn't feature an UI after run)

Then you should go to Tools->Audio Options and see the option to turn the AAC on. (screenshot below in imgur as I'm a noob and not allowed to attach images yet :p)
http://imgur.com/viyruja

After that, disconnect your headphones and reconnect. AAC should be available from now on. Haven't tried a reboot though, but I'm assuming it's a config that will stay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back