Bonephones: bone conduction headsets anyone?
Jun 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

onvn

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I came across an interesting contraption much like headphones but they utilise another way of reproducing sound for human perception - not dynamic drivers, not electrostats, not orthodynamic, not balanced armatures. Check it out!

Bone Conduction Headsets ("Bonephones")

I'm skeptical of its high-fidelity capabilities - but from a practical point of view, it could be useful - listening to music underwater, ears aren't obstructed, etc.

Interested on everybody's take on this.. and if anybody has had experience with one..

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 24
what makes you think that they're not using dynamic drivers?

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Put your phones on your bone!
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what makes you think that they're not using dynamic drivers?

Well, from what I've read they reproduce sound signals by means of physical vibrations which is transferred onto and conducted by our bones.

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 24
wasn't there a thread a few months ago about bone conducting headsets leading to some sort of bone marrow cancer or something along those lines?

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 24
I wonder if you can then crank up the tunes without hearing damage? Or if it would be better for people already experiancing some damage? How does it sound amped?

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 24
i used a pair of cheap one in biccamera that were about 7000-8000 en and they: ... i could not hear them unless i plugged my ears. then, when i plugged my ears, there was music. it was very strange and i felt a bit like dr. gaius baltar whispered into by the lovely six.

but she was not there and as soon as i let go of the ears, i could not hear the music.

these were cheap phones though so im sure that had much to do with it.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, from what I've read they reproduce sound signals by means of physical vibrations which is transferred onto and conducted by our bones.

Right. And they use a conventional transducer to do it. Most of them a moving-coil transducer that bears a striking resemblance to a dynamic driver.

As for the Teac Filltune HP-F100, we have one review in this thread where head-fi user fungi states:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to the Teac thing in Japan, and it was pretty neat, but nothing I'd call hi-fi sound.

fwiw, I've read a couple places that the frequency response of bone conduction transducers riding on your skin (rather than bolted straight to bone) drops off sharply above about 4khz.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Right. And they use a conventional transducer to do it. Most of them a moving-coil transducer that bears a striking resemblance to a dynamic driver.

Sure. But I was just referring to the typical dynamic transducer found in the typical dynamic headphones. I wasn't speaking technically - cos I'm not a technical kinda person
biggrin.gif

Quote:

fwiw, I've read a couple places that the frequency response of bone conduction transducers riding on your skin (rather than bolted straight to bone) drops off sharply above about 4khz.

That's an interesting point. I was wondering if possibly, there might be too much factors at play with bone conduction which can create sound differences and/or problems - such as the skin, bone density, bone structure, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back