Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #991 of 1,529
Checking this album out now on the 189 Hybrid. Great that it can take you back but also bring you something nothing else has managed to do.
Which is what? How's the bass compared to your other Blurs?

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #992 of 1,529
So tonight I'm listening to trance and techno from the early 90s. The natural presentation is like being transported back in time - I found this also with other old music on the EM5, buds have this ability to to faithfully playback older music, something I have been unable to achieve with IEMs - they have sounded wrong. I'm listening to an album called 'Rendezvous in Outer Space' by LSG (Oliver Lieb), big name mostly in the early 90s - the pounding kick drum sounds so authentic, the overall presentation is perfect. I honestly didn't expect this at all, blown away.
One of my favourite albums of all time. Bravo. The Blurs do it proud
Edit: I knew I wrote about it somewhere. Was in this thread. First thing I listen to with my Blurs

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #993 of 1,529
One of my favourite albums of all time. Bravo. The Blurs do it proud

Big time - I'm so pleased to have a way now to listen to the music that defined my teen years. I have a lot on vinyl and listen on my main system but until now, none of my earphones did justice.

Yeah a stunning album, as is anything really from him. I'll be loading up more to my DAP.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #994 of 1,529
Big time - I'm so pleased to have a way now to listen to the music that defined my teen years. I have a lot on vinyl and listen on my main system but until now, none of my earphones did justice.

Yeah a stunning album, as is anything really from him. I'll be loading up more to my DAP.
Yep. Totally agree. It's like reliving those times with an upgraded yet authentic sound. Brings back a lot of good vibes

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #996 of 1,529
Just tested a pretty complex track by Amon Tobin called 'Rhino Jockey' - a lot going on, huge range of percussion and deep bass... unfortunately my Blur didn't do well here, it sounded quite flat - I switched to IE900 and it bounced to life. Good to know where it might not shine too! Curious how other Blurs might do with this track.

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #997 of 1,529
****That said, can anyone recommend several ultra "cheapies" (say, less than $50?) with varying shell styles/sizes that I should grab so I can cast a wide net initially to see what fits me best?****
penon BS1

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #998 of 1,529
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,000 of 1,529
Just tested a pretty complex track by Amon Tobin called 'Rhino Jockey' - a lot going on, huge range of percussion and deep bass... unfortunately my Blur didn't do well here, it sounded quite flat - I switched to IE900 and it bounced to life. Good to know where it might not shine too! Curious how other Blurs might do with this track.

This is a torture test of a track - extremely busy, thin layering, only a narrow range of tonal elements. Wraith does this track best out of all my Blurs (out of amp), but I can see why this might be the place for a multi-driver IEM or a more modern DD ala IE900. You're putting your Blur through its paces for sure - keep it up!

Edit: I feel it does it best because it's simply more tolerable to the ear, warmer, retains detail and has slightly better layering than most of the other Blurs.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,001 of 1,529
This is a torture test of a track - extremely busy, thin layering, only a narrow range of tonal elements. Wraith does this track best out of all my Blurs (out of amp), but I can see why this might be the place for a multi-driver IEM or a more modern DD ala IE900. You're putting your Blur through its paces for sure - keep it up!

Yeah its a tough test, I'd be curious to know what could be even more of a challenge. I tried Traillii after and that pulled even more details out revealing the further intricacies of the track. IER-M9 performed very well also. It'll definitely be a test track moving forward!

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,002 of 1,529
Yeah its a tough test, I'd be curious to know what could be even more of a challenge. I tried Traillii after and that pulled even more details out revealing the further intricacies of the track. IER-M9 performed very well also. It'll definitely be a test track moving forward!

Probably very few tracks to be quite honest. I found it hard to appreciate that track on any Blur (without wanting to offend, just personal taste).

Single DD just can't present that density of sound well, whereas Traillii, the King of in-ear soundstage/imaging no doubt finds it easy to separate it all.

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,003 of 1,529
I had a mx150 aPs before. Although I cant test it with your track, I think it would sound quite flat too. I imagine the background noise in that track would also become fatiguing from the brightness

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,004 of 1,529
Which is what? How's the bass compared to your other Blurs?

I'm still trying to figure the 189 Hybrid, please give me some more time to compare across models.

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #1,005 of 1,529
Probably very few tracks to be quite honest. I found it hard to appreciate that track on any Blur (without wanting to offend, just personal taste).

Single DD just can't present that density of sound well, whereas Traillii, the King of in-ear soundstage/imaging no doubt finds it easy to separate it all.

Not an 'easy' listen and doubt I've even tried with IEMs before, it would have been typically through my music system which easily brings out the layers and sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back