Blur Earbuds Lovers
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #826 of 1,529
Question for those who are regularly talking with Wong - Is he on the lookout for another driver that can be used to assemble a new version of the Blur Basshead earbuds?
Are your new earbuds lacking bass or fullness?

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #827 of 1,529
Are your new earbuds lacking bass or fullness?

No, they have very good sub-Bass.

I'm just curious to hear what's considered to be a Basshead earbud.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #828 of 1,529

I see. I'm curious too! I actually thought your half and half were considered bass head but I couldnt confirm since they are not on the chart:sweat_smile:

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #829 of 1,529
I see. I'm curious too! I actually thought your half and half were considered bass head but I couldnt confirm since they are not on the chart:sweat_smile:

I believe that they have a fuller sounding mid-Bass than the MX150 & MX64 - but I haven't done any serious comparison of the lowest sub-Bass on the three sets of Blur.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #830 of 1,529
Question for those who are regularly talking with Wong - Is he on the lookout for another driver that can be used to assemble a new version of the Blur Basshead earbuds?

Currently, the PK32 and PK150 drivers are his (Wong's) go to drivers for bass.

The ultimate basshead limited edition Blur 256 PK16 White Face (16Ω) offered the deepest & punchiest bass to date but unfortunately Wong only had a small number of these specialty 16Ω drivers. The White Face has since been replaced by the Blur 266 PK32 New Line (32Ω) which is now considered his currently available 'Basshead Lovers' model, Using a 32Ω driver the PK32 New Line is very similarly tuned as the White Face FR with just a tad less bass and less warmth; so they are slightly to the right of the White Face on the Blur Sound Signature Chart (the White Face are plotted in light gray just to the right of the first "M" in Mid-Centric) see just below.

Another currently available model, with the second best bass performance, just not at a true basshead lovers level, would have to be the Blur OFC PK150 Wraith (150Ω Standard Edition) which makes up for any lack of bass depth & impact with ultra fine bass details.

A third consideration to the PK32 and PK150 drivers for good bass would be the MX64 driver... most especially when implemented in the new Blur 189 Hybrid MX aPs model using Wong's new silver + copper "189 Hybrid" cabling. As per Wong: "The Blur 189 Hybrid will be focus on warm laid back vocal. 189 will have less aggressive or less tension tones. With the silver wire , the warm is clear. Bass is surprisingly good with great impact , good tone and detail. I believe is also due to this new tuning which give less tension to the diaphragm."

1633077520645.png

11605033.png

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #831 of 1,529
These MX64 are neutral with slight midbass boost, extended, excellent timbre, detailed, large soundstage, doesn’t require a ton of power, does any genre justice (probably best at orchestral music) and scale like mad. Probably the most useful/technically proficient buds I’ve heard. Doesn’t have the bass or comfort of the PK3. My second class A bud. Without doing direct comparisons yet, these remind me of the LBBs on steroids. Questions?

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #832 of 1,529
These MX64 are neutral with slight midbass boost, extended, excellent timbre, detailed, large soundstage, doesn’t require a ton of power, does any genre justice (probably best at orchestral music) and scale like mad. Probably the most useful/technically proficient buds I’ve heard. Doesn’t have the bass or comfort of the PK3. My second class A bud. Without doing direct comparisons yet, these remind me of the LBBs on steroids. Questions?
Indeed the Blur OFC MX64 STE is pulled to neutral (slightly on the warm side) by the forwardness of the tuning. Enjoy the maddening details!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #833 of 1,529
Is your MX64 the standard or STE? 266 or OFC? I have the 266 STE version which is a little warmer than the standard version according to Woody. I share the same impression as yours but at first I did not like it because of the lack of bass impact and presence. It is there but non-prevalent. Sub-bass is very good though and can hit deep on some tunes. Right now, I got accustomed to the signature and actually prefer it over the rest of my other buds. I have not tried the LBBS because of exorbitant shipping fee to my country but based on your impression, I don't have the need for it now.
:beerchug:

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #834 of 1,529

A nice set huh? I'll say it again, I could live happily with my MX64 STE for the rest of my days. They do most of my library exceptionally well and where they don't excel I go straight for the PK150 Wraith for the body and low end detail. All bases covered really.

Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on how they differ from the PK32 New Line (quite clearly they do differ but it would be great to have more perspective).

@jrazmar his will be the OFC version I imagine. The 266 seems to convey subbass and harmonics better than the OFC version but both are tonally warm. However, I'm not confident it deserves its own place on the sound signature chart. The differences are too subtle.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #835 of 1,529
A nice set huh? I'll say it again, I could live happily with my MX64 STE for the rest of my days. They do most of my library exceptionally well and where they don't excel I go straight for the PK150 Wraith for the body and low end detail. All bases covered really.

Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on how they differ from the PK32 New Line (quite clearly they do differ but it would be great to have more perspective).

@jrazmar his will be the OFC version I imagine. The 266 seems to convey subbass and harmonics better than the OFC version but both are tonally warm. However, I'm not confident it deserves its own place on the sound signature chart. The differences are too subtle.
thanks @ian91. No worries. As to the sound signature chart, Woody was so kind to pin the 266 MX64 on the chart for my own reference. :wink: Now I'm curious how the 189 or the future 266R will sound. Time to save for it. :)

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #836 of 1,529
thanks @ian91. No worries. As to the sound signature chart, Woody was so kind to pin the 266 MX64 on the chart for my own reference. :wink: Now I'm curious how the 189 or the future 266R will sound. Time to save for it. :)

I'm also curious about both of those models! These past few months has seen Wong create some real stellar sets and I'm looking forward to seeing how he iterates with the 266R.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #837 of 1,529
You definitely don’t need the LBBs unless you are using a 1v dongle. That is its niche (if the PK32 didn’t exist or it’s out of your price range). It’s 2 tiers down from the Blur. I believe mine is the ofc STE (I believe). It’s definitely the STE with the thin, black cable. I just compared it with my LBBs and my SMABAT M2s Pro with the SO driver. It does have less bass than the LBBs and the SMABAT but I’m not sure if it’s just due to the speed that the perception is that way. The LBBs sounds muddy and slow next to the MX64 with a small soundstage. The SMABAT is a small improvement over the LBBs, but they are closer to each other than to The Blur. Maybe I’d actually place them 1 tier lower and together. I used to separate the SMABAT and the LBBs by a tier, but that’s no longer the case. The PK32 has more bass than any of them and its quality is in its own class. I really don’t see a reason to own other buds than these 2 Blur. I can’t even believe I’m saying that, but it’s true. I mean my mind is blown. Every other transducer I have is slow and unresolved compared to these 2. I could totally live with just this bud, but I thought that about the PK32 as well. This is absolutely an orchestral music champ. The soundstage is so huge that rap sounds awesome too. The PK32 isn’t afraid of orchestral music, but it’s forte is electronic music. I don’t even know what I’m saying at the moment. These buds have me in a different place. If they aren’t Blur, they’re bull (kidding but I am blown away by the Blur).

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #838 of 1,529
You definitely don’t need the LBBs unless you are using a 1v dongle. That is its niche (if the PK32 didn’t exist or it’s out of your price range). It’s 2 tiers down from the Blur. I believe mine is the ofc STE (I believe). It’s definitely the STE with the thin, black cable. I just compared it with my LBBs and my SMABAT M2s Pro with the SO driver. It does have less bass than the LBBs and the SMABAT but I’m not sure if it’s just due to the speed that the perception is that way. The LBBs sounds muddy and slow next to the MX64 with a small soundstage. The SMABAT is a small improvement over the LBBs, but they are closer to each other than to The Blur. Maybe I’d actually place them 1 tier lower and together. I used to separate the SMABAT and the LBBs by a tier, but that’s no longer the case. The PK32 has more bass than any of them and its quality is in its own class. I really don’t see a reason to own other buds than these 2 Blur. I can’t even believe I’m saying that, but it’s true. I mean my mind is blown. Every other transducer I have is slow and unresolved compared to these 2. I could totally live with just this bud, but I thought that about the PK32 as well. This is absolutely an orchestral music champ. The soundstage is so huge that rap sounds awesome too. The PK32 isn’t afraid of orchestral music, but it’s forte is electronic music. I don’t even know what I’m saying at the moment. These buds have me in a different place. If they aren’t Blur, they’re bull (kidding but I am blown away by the Blur).

Thin black cable is OFC :).

How are you finding strings? I find the balance of detail & warmth just right.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #840 of 1,529
It’s incredible. Horns too for that matter. I feel like I’m having a “Eureka!” moment. I‘ve got my orchestra buds.

Feel free to share some music you're enjoying. Selfishly it will give me something to listen to later on my set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back