Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #842 of 1,529
Blur #2 built and ready to ship. Fingers crossed #1 arrives this coming week!

Screenshot_20211001-115006_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20211001-122232_Instagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #844 of 1,529

Knowing some of the music you have shared, I would have recommended these first. Just remember the 300 hour burn in :dizzy_face:. I spat my cornflakes when Wong told me this.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #845 of 1,529
Knowing some of the music you have shared, I would have recommended these first. Just remember the 300 hour burn in :dizzy_face:. I spat my cornflakes when Wong told me this.

I think the two will cater nicely for my preference for both very chilled ambient or more upbeat electronic.

Wow, 300 hours! Wong mentions 40 hours he does before shipping, so is it then another 300?

I must say I'm noting a marked improvement with EM5 as more hours clock up, probably around 50 now. I love it 😀

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #846 of 1,529
I know there are some amongst us who prefer dongles over desktop iron (I am one for sure), therefore I highly recommend the Tempotec E44 (4v balanced 4.4mm). Have been using with my Blur's via the 3.5mm adapter. Loads of power and crystal clear neutral presentation. I love the E1DA 9038D too, but this is much more compatible over a variety of devices with similar resolving power and drive. Fuss free and works great with UAPP. SQ available today for such low spend is phenomenal. We are living in a golden age.

My setup is very simple. Old repurposed Xiaomi phone running LineageOS 11 > Dongle > Blur

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #847 of 1,529
I think the two will cater nicely for my preference for both very chilled ambient or more upbeat electronic.

Wow, 300 hours! Wong mentions 40 hours he does before shipping, so is it then another 300?

I must say I'm noting a marked improvement with EM5 as more hours clock up, probably around 50 now. I love it 😀
300 total, although I will be honest and say I really couldn't say whether not there was a difference. Sounded good from the first listen

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #848 of 1,529

Enjoying this right now :beerchug:

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #849 of 1,529
I'll give that a blast tonight... Bandcamp and beers Friday night 🍻

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #850 of 1,529

I don’t know why, but I thought this was the first one you ordered…. Anyway, I’m sure you’re going to like those! They are awesome. It’ll be nice to know how they compare with the FiiO. I can’t imagine ever getting rid of mine.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #851 of 1,529

Ordering a second one before your first one even arrives, someone is in too deep haha enjoy both of your sets!

Venturing into the Blur - My Personal Preferences

I need a place to collate my thoughts and experiences of Blur buds and thought a table would be better for the sake of brevity.

This is completely personal preference according to my tastes and music library. The standards here are always high and it is often very hard to call what might be 'better'. For example timbre is great across the board and differences are subtle.

I'm happy to elaborate where I can, just get in touch. As always, consult Master Wong ('the artist') and @WoodyLuvr ('the scholar') as your primary sources of information and for model availability.

(Table is best viewed on a computer)

Personal PreferenceModelStrengthWeaknessNotes
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard EditionMale vocals
Percussion
Timbre
Long-listening sessions
May be too warm for someSource/power very important here.
Blur 266 MX64 aPs STE
and
Blur OFC MX64 aPs STE
Male & female vocals
Strings
Good for semi-critical listening
Hard to faultCable believers should ask for 266 if they want more low end presence.
Blur OFC MX400 STETimbre
Large soundstage and good imaging
Female and male classical singers
Strings
Great for critical listening
No subbass, low quantity midbass creates an overall lean signature (that may or may not be to your taste)My choice for classical music and orchestral.
Blur 266 MX150 aPs RetuneGood top to bottom extension and dynamics
Great imaging
Timbre
Hard to faultGreat musical versatility. Would be my recommended entry point into the current Blur lineup or if you're into electronic music.

Appreciates power.
Blur MX300 美魔女 Beautiful Witch aPs
(not the Limited Edition)
Timbre
Great for vocals male and female
Intimate presentation great for folk/acoustic
May be too forward for someAppreciates power.
Blur 266 PK16 White FaceHefty low end
Full-bodied male vocals
Easily powered
Long-listening sessions
Presentation somewhat veiledGood for non-critical listening / pop music / rap.
BlurMod Vido Good balance
Non-fatiguing
Good clarity
Can sound a bit tinnyPerfect to drop in the bag and carry around.
Last updated: 30/09/2021.
Now that you've spent some time, I wonder where you will place the MX400 on the chart? Considering my only other Blur bud is the older MX32 which isn't on the chart, I felt apprehensive about offering an opinion on the MX400's chart placement since my inexperience doesn't allow me to use the other buds' placements to help inform my decision.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #852 of 1,529
Ordering a second one before your first one even arrives, someone is in too deep haha enjoy both of your sets!

Now that you've spent some time, I wonder where you will place the MX400 on the chart? Considering my only other Blur bud is the older MX32 which isn't on the chart, I felt apprehensive about offering an opinion on the MX400's chart placement since my inexperience doesn't allow me to use the other buds' placements to help inform my decision.

I've provided my placement on the graph for the OFC MX400 STE. @WoodyLuvr posted an updated chart a little while ago I believe and probably updated his post on page 37.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blur-earbuds-lovers.884062/page-56#post-16591057

Essentially I hear it as tonally similar to the MX64 STE but with a midbass/subbass cut that brings forward the mids by comparison and makes it feel leaner and more distant.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #853 of 1,529
I've provided my placement on the graph for the OFC MX400 STE. @WoodyLuvr posted an updated chart a little while ago I believe and probably updated his post on page 37.
Oh, I didn't notice, thanks for your input! Inversely, this helps frame my understanding of the other buds in relation to the MX400 which is really helpful.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #854 of 1,529
@ian91, I think you are spot on: the MX64 is the bud to own if you are only going to have 1. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate how perfectly it exposes the violin. If I were studying violin, this would be the bud I’d need. Maybe to 400 does it better? So far this is easily the best I’ve heard and I’m so thankful you recommended it to me!

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #855 of 1,529

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blur-earbuds-lovers.884062/page-56#post-16591057
Oh, I didn't notice, thanks for your input! Inversely, this helps frame my understanding of the other buds in relation to the MX400 which is really helpful.
Yes, I will continue to update the original Blur Sound Signature Chart Post #543 Sep 1, 2021 which you can always quickly reference via the listed links in my ƎAЯBUD LINKS post at the bottom of my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back