Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #856 of 1,529
@ian91, I think you are spot on: the MX64 is the bud to own if you are only going to have 1. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate how perfectly it exposes the violin. If I were studying violin, this would be the bud I’d need. Maybe to 400 does it better? So far this is easily the best I’ve heard and I’m so thankful you recommended it to me!

I'm ever so glad you're enjoying yourself and hopefully for many more hours to come!

I'll be providing a bit more detail on the OFC MX400 STE vs the OFC MX64 STE aPs in an upcoming review.

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #857 of 1,529
I really can't imagine buying anything else at this time because I'm unsure if I could gain anything significant. These 2 sets cover more perfectly all the music I love than anything else I've tried. Really mind-blowing stuff. And they can do it off a dongle--Though the 64 does have a ton of scaling ability. Love it with tubes too!

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #858 of 1,529
I think it was the mx64 you originally suggested to me @ian91? I got confused with mx, pk, ohms etc! Is that one I should plan next? Definitely after I've got to know the first two of course!

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #859 of 1,529
My bet is that your first 2 are going to have you covered for a while. That MX150 will likely blow your mind with an amp. I've never heard it, but now I'm starting to understand what Wong is up to. I'm sure that the PK32 will do electronic music justice (though without 15" subs they won't rattle your innards).

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #860 of 1,529
I really can't imagine buying anything else at this time because I'm unsure if I could gain anything significant. These 2 sets cover more perfectly all the music I love than anything else I've tried. Really mind-blowing stuff. And they can do it off a dongle--Though the 64 does have a ton of scaling ability. Love it with tubes too!

That's all that matters then! I guess you could say the MX64 STE was my first Blur love, its mids aren't too forward, nor too far back and it does vocals and strings very well with a good midbass presence to give deeper strings more body. It can manage pop/electronic and ambient thanks to its soundstage and midbass (but i'd still choose the PK150 Wraith if I was at the desk amp for that purpose). If I'm going fully portable or had to cut down on all my stuff it would be just the MX64 STE and my DAP that would remain.

I think it was the mx64 you originally suggested to me @ian91? I got confused with mx, pk, ohms etc! Is that one I should plan next? Definitely after I've got to know the first two of course!

It was the first one I suggested, but I think for your library you've made the right purchases so far. The MX64 STE reminds me of the Isabellae but with better timbre and more natural treble.

Edit: I also hear it as more organic, warmer and less dry than the Isabellae

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #861 of 1,529
Finally ordered blur 266 pk32 and added to de previous 189 mx64, both on same Fedex Shippment, ´cause since July customs at Europe are a penalty.

I checked Fedex, nowadays is the best for shippemts from Outside UE. My last one from Canada lasts 5 days, and UPS lasts 1 month, from same place.

When they arrived I will post my initial impresions (newbie on earbuds)

Oct 2, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #862 of 1,529
When they arrived I will post my initial impresions (newbie on earbuds)

Look forward to hearing what you think. Obviously, earbuds will be a totally different presentation from all of your IEMs, namely there will be less bass impact and quantity so make sure to give yourself a period to acclimatise to them.

Oct 2, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #863 of 1,529
That's all that matters then! I guess you could say the MX64 STE was my first Blur love, its mids aren't too forward, nor too far back and it does vocals and strings very well with a good midbass presence to give deeper strings more body. It can manage pop/electronic and ambient thanks to its soundstage and midbass (but i'd still choose the PK150 Wraith if I was at the desk amp for that purpose). If I'm going fully portable or had to cut down on all my stuff it would be just the MX64 STE and my DAP that would remain.
I couldn't have described it better or more succinctly. It's probably going to get 75-80% of my listening. Since learning to play the piano, I've been intensely into "Classical" music, and these little unassuming buds in typical MX500 shells do it on a level that nothing else I own or have ever owned can. Unfortunately it also exposes the shortcomings in VSTs more readily than lesser cans and monitors.

Oct 2, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #864 of 1,529
I couldn't have described it better or more succinctly. It's probably going to get 75-80% of my listening. Since learning to play the piano, I've been intensely into "Classical" music, and these little unassuming buds in typical MX500 shells do it on a level that nothing else I own or have ever owned can. Unfortunately it also exposes the shortcomings in VSTs more readily than lesser cans and monitors.

They're something special for sure.

If you're ever after something with a wider soundstage, slightly cleaner presentation of detail and (I would argue) better at classical you'll have to try the MX400 STE. It sounds more refined than the MX64 STE. As previously mentioned the only draw back is the lack of subbass and midbass/lower mid presence that does take away from some lower Hz instruments and husky male vocals. If you listen for it you'll notice it, but overall I've become quite accustomed to it's more transparent presentation.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #865 of 1,529
Hard for me to imagine! This is the biggest bud soundstage I’ve heard And the same goes for detail and refinement. Sad thing is: I don’t doubt you or Wong at all.

I definitely have something special in these. I definitely have to plot my next moves carefully. The wife is irritated 😣 😆

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #866 of 1,529
Hard for me to imagine! This is the biggest bud soundstage I’ve heard And the same goes for detail and refinement. Sad thing is: I don’t doubt you or Wong at all.

I definitely have something special in these. I definitely have to plot my next moves carefully. The wife is irritated 😣 😆

Yeah, domestic peace has to come first, otherwise how will you enjoy them?

Keep us updated on your thoughts about the MX64 STE as things progress :)

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #867 of 1,529
It was the first one I suggested, but I think for your library you've made the right purchases so far. The MX64 STE reminds me of the Isabellae but with better timbre and more natural treble.

Edit: I also hear it as more organic, warmer and less dry than the Isabellae
That is some high praise indeed, I can see a Blur in my future despite trying to resist, this thread has a plethora of siren calls good opinions and the one above might just make resistance futile, I´ll have to familiarize myself with the current line-up. The Smabat ST10 S Gold left me a bittersweet taste, prodigious bass, spacious and detailed sound but a certain peakiness that I couldn´t get along with, I ido like the Yincrow X6 tonality despite finding it a bit veiled in comparison with the Smabat, it seems Blur readily beats those two buds.

Are there any new models arriving before the year ends? I can only afford one model at the moment but I don´t mind waiting if some tasty novelties are approaching release.

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #868 of 1,529
The coolest thing to me about Blur buds is how they’ve brought me back to my early “audiophile” days. Back when stereo gear was purchased for pure enjoyment, for its inherent uniqueness, and for its “cool” factor. My real life is engulfed by music: I play music on various instruments daily, I listen to music everywhere I go (I even have a very nice Bluetooth speaker in my shower), and I’ve upgraded and optimized every stereo in my cars and house and built stereo equipment (speakers mostly) since I was 14. My work life is science. My first degree was in science and my subsequent degrees have been in the same vein. Every speaker I’ve built has been done by math with science backing it. The Blur turn out to be a healthy reminder that in all things there’s an art to it. Balancing a driver’s inherent characteristics into a housing which must sit in the concha between the tragus and antitragus has its limitations and thus requires a significant amount of art in the design process. Wong not only knows the science of earbud design, but he’s got a good ear and a desire to perfect the sound reproduction within those limitations. He’s an artist. There’s a beauty in these buds that goes beyond their parts and it provokes an enjoyment beyond their cost. A marvel of optimized miniaturization that excels beyond what full scale designs have done in many ways. The fact that my best sound system now fits in my pocket and costs far less than any other sound system I own is very cool! I always envied the people I saw with Walkmans and on-ear Sennheisers. Those were awesome back in the day and in reality are still formidable. Now we can exceed that significantly in a smaller, cheaper, and far more reliable package. That’s actually progress.

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #869 of 1,529
Very well said @Ronion. I think you've just hit on what I find so appealing, apart from the sound of course. It's the craftmanship, the variety and the thought that goes into each of them that is as much a part of the experience.

That is some high praise indeed, I can see a Blur in my future despite trying to resist, this thread has a plethora of siren calls good opinions and the one above might just make resistance futile, I´ll have to familiarize myself with the current line-up. The Smabat ST10 S Gold left me a bittersweet taste, prodigious bass, spacious and detailed sound but a certain peakiness that I couldn´t get along with, I ido like the Yincrow X6 tonality despite finding it a bit veiled in comparison with the Smabat, it seems Blur readily beats those two buds.

Are there any new models arriving before the year ends? I can only afford one model at the moment but I don´t mind waiting if some tasty novelties are approaching release.

There is quite a variety of signatures available in the current line up. Most have the midrange centre stage and vary from warm to what I hear as 'room temperature' (not sure how useful that is, but that's the best way I can describe it). There are those that are more organic and those that are slightly dry. Master Wong has a 'Reference' model on the horizon called the 266R and either he, or @WoodyLuvr, would be best to expand on the vision of that, as my understanding is that it's still evolving. However, as far as I'm concerned the current lineup is incredibly strong and there is plenty to choose from.

Did/do you have Isabellae? If so what did you like/not like about it?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #870 of 1,529
Did/do you have Isabellae? If so what did you like/not like about it?
No I´ve never heard Isabellae, but I´ve read all I could about it since from the reviews / opinions it seemed to match the sound I was looking for, especially Rockwell75´s review:

Pros: Inspired, open, engaging tuning
Impeccably balanced and even keeled across the FR
No weird peaks or dips
Rich natural timbre
Single DD magic
Seductively coherent
Clear, open, midrange
Nuanced, well extended commanding yet highly disciplined bass
Nice mid-bass presence
Upper mids forward and present with zero shoutiness
Emotionally expressive & evocative vocals
Decently technical
Intimate staging
Downward sloping, sufficiently airy, non peaky, non-fatiguing highs
Shoots well above price tier

I know you also like the Isa from the Geek Wold thread so reading your opinion on the Blur MX64 STE made my heart beat faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back