Blur Earbuds Lovers
Sep 29, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #812 of 1,529
By the way, what about foams? Where to buy and what are best brands?
This is a totally diferent world from iems.
Search for 'Trig Rain' foams on AE. HieGi foams are even better but only come in black or white. They are also available on Shopee if you're in SE Asia. Wong does include foams with his earbuds, though.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #813 of 1,529
Search for 'Trig Rain' foams on AE. HieGi foams are even better but only come in black or white. They are also available on Shopee if you're in SE Asia. Wong does include foams with his earbuds, though.
I see with middle empty and not.
What´s the difference about sound ?

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #814 of 1,529
By the way, what about foams? Where to buy and what are best brands?
This is a totally diferent world from iems.
Yes curious on that too, I checked Amazon and couldn't see many options... I'm guessing AliExpress but I hate waiting weeks 😬
There’s a big post somewhere in the Earbuds thread that’s like a sticky, includes a discussion of foams. Anyone have a link handy?
I see with middle empty and not.
What´s the difference about sound ?
All About Earbud Cushions

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #815 of 1,529
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #816 of 1,529
IMG_20210930_141439.jpg

Blur Wraith PK150 with 266 cable incoming... 😋

Its a new build by Master Wong since he says im the only one requested it so far. Well its bcoz i dont really prefer OFC cable actually, not that I hate it...and just thinking why not go 266 all the way 😁

From the graph Wong said that he need to retune the sound by trim off a lil bit of mid-bass there so it will be more balance and retain the original Blur SS target tuning.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #817 of 1,529
IMG_20210930_141439.jpg
Blur Wraith PK150 with 266 cable incoming... 😋

Its a new build by Master Wong since he says im the only one requested it so far. Well its bcoz i dont really prefer OFC cable actually, not that I hate it...and just thinking why not go 266 all the way 😁

From the graph Wong said that he need to retune the sound by trim off a lil bit of mid-bass there so it will be more balance and retain the original Blur SS target tuning.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of 'em. They are on the list now. May they travel swiftly without much delay.

1632992952366.png

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #818 of 1,529
Venturing into the Blur - My Personal Preferences

I need a place to collate my thoughts and experiences of Blur buds and thought a table would be better for the sake of brevity.

This is completely personal preference according to my tastes and music library. The standards here are always high and it is often very hard to call what might be 'better'. For example timbre is great across the board and differences are subtle.

I'm happy to elaborate where I can, just get in touch. As always, consult Master Wong ('the artist') and @WoodyLuvr ('the scholar') as your primary sources of information and for model availability.

(Table is best viewed on a computer)

Personal PreferenceModelStrengthWeaknessNotes
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard EditionMale vocals
Percussion
Timbre
Long-listening sessions
May be too warm for someSource/power very important here.
Blur 266 MX64 aPs STE
and
Blur OFC MX64 aPs STE
Male & female vocals
Strings
Good for critical listening
Hard to faultCable believers should ask for 266 if they want more low end presence.
Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPsMale & female vocals (best in class)
Excellent imaging and layering
Strings
Good for semi-critical listening
Hard to faultSimilar to the MX64 aPs but less forward and with better technicalities. I still prefer the forward emphasis on the STE but the 189 Hybrid is certainly more approachable.
Blur OFC MX400 STETimbre
Large soundstage and good imaging
Female and male classical singers
Strings
Great for critical listening
No subbass, low quantity midbass creates an overall lean signature (that may or may not be to your taste)My choice for classical music and orchestral.
Blur 266 MX150 aPs RetuneGood top to bottom extension and dynamics
Great imaging
Timbre
Drier tonality than I would preferGreat musical versatility. Would be my recommended entry point into the current Blur lineup or if you're into electronic music.

Appreciates power.
Blur MX300 美魔女 Beautiful Witch aPs
(not the Limited Edition)
Timbre
Great for vocals male and female
Intimate presentation great for folk/acoustic
May be too forward for someAppreciates power.
Blur 266 PK16 White FaceHefty low end
Full-bodied male vocals
Easily powered
Long-listening sessions
Presentation somewhat veiledGood for non-critical listening / pop music / rap.
BlurMod Vido Good balance
Non-fatiguing
Good clarity
Can sound a bit tinnyPerfect to drop in the bag and carry around.
Last updated: 30/09/2021.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #819 of 1,529
Interesting discovery today. While chatting with my wife I inadvertently plugged my 256 PK16 White Face earbuds into my tube headAMP thinking they were my OFC PK150 Wraith buds. Later, when I sat down, put my earbuds on, and began to listen to the two new Dune soundtracks I was overcome by an unusually strong bass presence across the board. Took me a few moments before I realized what had happened as I was saying to myself 'damn these Wraiths are really pounding the bass hard' as the bass was quite prominent and impactful. I began to think that it might be a mastering or equalization effect introduced by Zimmer, perhaps to give the OSTs a theatrical presentation, then I glanced down at the cable and realized my mistake. Dumbfounded, I flipped my amp's switches for lower impedance and lower gain (5.7x) and was greeted with even greater musicality! This particular custom-made tube amp runs ultra silent so I was unable to detect any noise until past 2PM on the volume dial which is way beyond a safe listening level with a pair of 16Ω earbuds. I believe this may be the first time in over four decades that I have ever experienced a sub 64Ω earphone (or headphone for that matter) scaling so noticeably and extraordinarily well. Repeat, a 16Ω driver scaling, 'incroyable'! It honestly had never occurred to me to plug my sensitive low impedance White Face earbuds into even what is known as a flea watt (~1.5-2W) vacuum tube headAMP. I do intend to chat with Wong about it tomorrow to get his feedback.

IMG_20210930_210438.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #820 of 1,529
Venturing into the Blur - My Personal Preferences

I need a place to collate my thoughts and experiences of Blur buds and thought a table would be better for the sake of brevity.

This is completely personal preference according to my tastes and music library. The standards here are always high and it is often very hard to call what might be 'better'. For example timbre is great across the board and differences are subtle.

I'm happy to elaborate where I can, just get in touch. As always, consult Master Wong ('the artist') and @WoodyLuvr ('the scholar') as your primary sources of information and for model availability.

Personal PreferenceModelStrengthWeaknessNotes
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard EditionMale vocals
Percussion
Timbre
Long-listening sessions
May be too warm for someSource/power very important here.
Blur 266 MX64 aPs STE
and
Blur OFC MX64 aPs STE
Male & female vocals
Strings
Good for semi-critical listening
Hard to faultCable believers should ask for 266 if they want more low end presence.
Blur OFC MX400 STETimbre
Large soundstage and good imaging
Female and male classical singers
Strings
Great for critical listening
No subbass, low quantity midbass creates an overall lean signature (that may or may not be to your taste)My choice for classical music and orchestral.
Blur 266 MX150 aPs RetuneGood top to bottom extension and dynamics
Great imaging
Timbre
Hard to faultGreat musical versatility. Would be my recommended entry point into the current Blur lineup or if you're into electronic music.

Appreciates power.
Blur MX300 美魔女 Beautiful Witch aPs
(not the Limited Edition)
Timbre
Great for vocals male and female
Intimate presentation great for folk/acoustic
May be too forward for someAppreciates power.
Blur 266 PK16 White FaceHefty low end
Full-bodied male vocals
Easily powered
Long-listening sessions
Presentation somewhat veiledGood for non-critical listening / pop music / rap.
BlurMod Vido Good balance
Non-fatiguing
Good clarity
Can sound a bit tinnyPerfect to drop in the bag and carry around.
Last updated: 30/09/2021.
Awesome. Thoughtfully done. I like this a lot. I will post this as a resourceful link in my ƎAЯBUD LINKS post and link it in my blur models timeline as well.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #821 of 1,529
@WoodyLuvr - any update from Wong when the Blur 266R MX/PK aPs Blur Reference is going to be available? I'm getting the itch to request another set but want to wait for these......... :ksc75smile:

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #822 of 1,529
@WoodyLuvr - any update from Wong when the Blur 266R MX/PK aPs Blur Reference is going to be available? I'm getting the itch to request another set but want to wait for these......... :ksc75smile:
Probably, NOV/DEC timeframe as per Blur Update # 4. Wong is still knees deep in the R&D testing phase for the 266R. He learned a lot recently working with the 189 Hybrid which is a little bit more neutral than the usual Blur House tuning so this may speed up the process some. Fingers crossed.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #823 of 1,529
Probably, NOV/DEC timeframe as per Blur Update # 4. Wong is still knees deep in the R&D testing phase for the 266R. He learned a lot recently working with the 189 Hybrid which is a little bit more neutral than the usual Blur House tuning so this may speed up the process some. Fingers crossed.

Thanks @WoodyLuvr - I did see your last post re the Nov/Dec timeframe but was just being optimistic that he had brought this forward a bit, as can't wait to hear what he does with this one - as you say 'fingers crossed'!!

At least this timeframe will give my wallet a bit of a break in the meantime........and maybe provide an early Christmas present! :thumbsup:

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #824 of 1,529
Question for those who are regularly talking with Wong - Is he on the lookout for another driver that can be used to assemble a new version of the Blur Basshead earbuds?

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #825 of 1,529
My MX64 arrived today and I barely got to hear them before work. Needless to say I’m excited to be done with work tonight. My initial impression is that these are orchestral monsters with incredible timbre for brass and strings and have a huge soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back