Blur Earbuds Lovers
Sep 25, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #781 of 1,529
They should be here before I start the new job! From reports, they should be a great compliment to the PK32. This is going to be a nice conclusion to 2021 for me. The last 2 years have left me depleted. No vacation, lots of overtime, unbelievable amount of despair, no unscheduled days off…. at least I‘ve learned to sleep Again and no longer have nightmares (or dreams strangely). By far this is the most exhausted I’ve ever been. It’s hard to describe this feeling But I can’t wait for it to end. I’m glad I found this new hobby and Blur in particular. To find a level of resolution I’ve never experienced before after this many years in the audio hobby is a very cool thing.

Sorry to hear how tough it has been. I'm glad you've found some solace and enjoyment in places to help you through. Feel free to message me if you want to talk. This hobby has helped me through a tough period too and I wouldn't have the knowledge or insight if it wasn't for the community here. We gotta stick together!

As an aside, the Blur OFC MX400 STE has made great first impressions today. If the Wraith is my Yin, the MX400 STE is my Yang. Tonally it is very similar to the MX64 STE - midforward, room temperature, detail-orientated - however, it's slightly more organic, timbre is more accurate (and I didn't think that was possible) and the FR has greater low end and top end extension. It may be even more forward than the MX64 STE, which is already rather forward. If I had to pick some clear strengths out of the gate on this model it would be strings and piano and classical in general. Incredible stuff.

I'm going to need some time to familiarise myself with this model but the Wraith and the MX400 STE have managed to reshuffle my Blur ranking. Two very strong releases from Master Wong.

1920px-Yin_and_yang.svg.png

Edit: Listening to Vox Clamantis' (Estonian choral group) + Arvo Part, 'The Deer's Cry' album on ECM. Sounds great on the MX400 STE.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #782 of 1,529
Thank you @ian91. It’s been a wild ride for sure and I’ll be glad when it’s all over. My county was really lucky and it’s essentially over for us already. We’re over 90% vaccinated and out of the thousands we’ve had graced these walls, only 3 have been of the vaccinated variety and none of those met me (which is a good, good thing). They only made it to level 1 out of 3 (that would be me). I’m very thankful for the people who live around here and the fortitude and resilience they displayed. Others have not been so lucky.

it sounds like you have in your rotation the higher impedance versions of what I’ll have in mine. Although my rotation will not be nearly as robust, I’LL be able to understand your superlatives a bit better after my MX64 STE arrive. You’re really not making my wait any easier and you’re not making my wallet any heavier. LOL I will likely get a high impedance Blur before too long. The one I have is just that good that it gives me a lot of faith. That MX400 might just be the one…

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #783 of 1,529
Thank you @ian91. It’s been a wild ride for sure and I’ll be glad when it’s all over. My county was really lucky and it’s essentially over for us already. We’re over 90% vaccinated and out of the thousands we’ve had graced these walls, only 3 have been of the vaccinated variety and none of those met me (which is a good, good thing). They only made it to level 1 out of 3 (that would be me). I’m very thankful for the people who live around here and the fortitude and resilience they displayed. Others have not been so lucky.

it sounds like you have in your rotation the higher impedance versions of what I’ll have in mine. Although my rotation will not be nearly as robust, I’LL be able to understand your superlatives a bit better after my MX64 STE arrive. You’re really not making my wait any easier and you’re not making my wallet any heavier. LOL I will likely get a high impedance Blur before too long. The one I have is just that good that it gives me a lot of faith. That MX400 might just be the one…

I think you might be quite happy with the MX64 and the New Line to keep you going for some time really! They should be different enough and cover most/all bases. :)

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #785 of 1,529
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith (150Ω) Review

Source:

Shanling M8 (LO mode, low gain) > Little Dot 1+ (Mullard M8100 + Burson Audio V6 Vivid)

[Mullard M8100 are a warm tube and have with a nice bass emphasis. The V6 Vivid is an opamp that is great at expanding stage size and has a focus on detail retrieval. I like to think both of these together produce a nice balance of analogue signature, resolution and technicality]

Used with full foams.

Disclaimer: I paid full price for this earbud, with no monetary incentive to write this review.

Burn in: 70hours

Music: world music, jazz, ambient, electronic

Preamble

I’m back again. Drawn in like a moth to the light…

A few months ago I started to hear rumours bubbling of a model in development, inspired by @WoodyLuvr, that was PK shelled and OFC cabled (i.e. excellent comfort levels). Wong couldn’t share with me all the details as it was a work in progress but did say it was using Japan-sourced 150ohm drivers that weren’t all that easy to come by and had proven hard to implement due to being naturally bright-leaning. He also said the driver had a very realistic portrayal of instruments. When the King of Timbre, Master Wong, says instruments sound realistic, you pay attention! Luckily for Wong, a very humble man who lets his wares speak for themselves, it didn’t take much of a sales pitch beyond this brief conversation to convince me to buy a new Blur earbud. My order went as soon as it was physically possible.

Further information shared by @WoodyLuvr revealed this model, the Wraith, would sit somewhere between the OFC STE and the PK16 White Face. For those that don’t know me, or are new to the thread (welcome!), the OFC MX64 STE is my favourite Blur model and I consider it close to perfect for my tastes and music library. The MX64 STE is quite forward with its midrange and I find this incredibly enjoyable and non-fatiguing, however, it encourages me to apply a critical ear to listening and while it can be used for passive listening sessions (e.g. while working) I prefer something a little warmer and less forward to pass the hours. The White Face on the other hand is a great set little set for bass-centric music and male vocals in particular but it is almost too warm for the vast majority of my music library and some detail can get lost in the hefty lows. Thus, the prospect of a model that sat between these two was right up my street and niche I wanted to fill.

As further context to this purchase I had recently received the Blur 266 MX150 Retune that I praised as having a very ‘balanced’ and versatile signature with great top to bottom range. I’ll do my best to compare the two at the end of this review.

Fast forward to a few weeks later and the Wraith was haunting my front door; read on to find out if I made the right decision to let the apparition in!

Sound

First impressions – I posted my first impressions earlier this month. Within the first day of listening I could already see this model jostling for top spot with the MX64. I felt it sat in a ‘goldilocks zone’ of critical detail and warmth for long listening. This hasn’t changed. I have only grown to love it more for that reason. It also has other distinguishing features that make it standout from the current Blur line-up.

Bass – midbass focus, peerless timbre, excellent texture, capable of delivering a solid punch, minimal if any rumble

This is probably the top selling point for me. The bass is amazing for instrumental music of any sort with very good texture and a natural attack, sustain and decay with a good thump. Bass quantity here is more than my other Blurs apart from the White Face. When powered properly you can get some real tactility from the driver. There is not much, if any, subbass but it doesn’t detract from the music I listen to which rarely enters those frequencies. For this reason I would recommend the MX150 Retune over the Wraith for those who listen to electronic/pop/ambient primarily. The MX150 reaches deeper but lacks the impact, body and timbral excellence of the Wraith.

Combine the very good texture, near faultless timbre and healthy midbass quantity and the Wraith has some of the most realistic reproduction of percussive music I’ve heard. That includes my current line up of Blurs and IEMs. Drums of all varieties sound spectacular. This alone is worth the price of entry for me.

Mids – warm, forward, good detail, organic, incredible male vocals, good female vocals

The size and placement of the second mountain on the Wraith is great. The mids aren’t as forward as other Blur models I have (especially compared to the OFC MX400 STE and the OFC MX64 STE, and less so the MX150 Retune). The excellent bass performance and midbass focus at the Wraiths foundation shines through here giving the mids a warm hue that sacrifices a degree of detail but things never feel veiled. At the lower end of the mids male vocals have a solid presence with plenty of nuance. Best in class male vocals of the Blurs I’ve heard in fact. Female vocals have good presence and detailing thanks to very good uppermid and treble quantity. They do remain warm and full bodied and I appreciate some people prefer transparency and a light touch to female vocalists. Luckily I’m quite fond of this presentation of vocals as it keeps things analogue and romantic without sacrificing too much in the way of detail. Exactly in line with the ‘passive’ listening slant I wanted to encourage. Vocals and instruments never get shouty and I don’t have issues with some troublesome areas that I use to test for shout – namely some intense choral pieces and some tenor sax.

Treble – excellent definition, precise but never sharp

Despite the warm leaning signature of the Wraith it manages to carry with it plenty of detail in the upper registers. Cymbals and other percussion up top are so good, plenty of shimmer without being splashy. Very natural decay. Everything is there, nothing is missing and it doesn’t feel artificial. There’s a sense of space and air despite the overall warm and forward signature. @WoodyLuvr did mention that the driver was naturally bright leaning and very detailed and I can see that undercurrent coming through but it’s never enough to break the warm guise of the Wraith.

Technicalities

Staging – soundstage is wide laterally reaching beyond the ear with good height but minimal front to back dimension.

Imaging, Instrument Separation & Layering – Imaging is great with good depth, left-right transitions are graduated with no centre compression. Instrument separation is a bit tight and more intimate than some of the other Blurs, namely the OFC MX400 STE and the OFC MX64 STE.

Timbre

Well deserving of recognition is the PK150 ohm driver timbre. It’s taught and responsive but still organic and everything is made ten times better by the tactility / bass presence the tuning has. I would say with regards to timbre it’s the best driver I’ve heard from the Blur line up, better than the MX64 STE and possibly slightly ahead of the OFC MX400 STE.

266 MX150 aPs Retune vs OFC PK150 Wraith SE

WraithMX150 Retune
Bass*Midbass
Greater impact
Arguably better ‘quality’ and quantity
Balanced sub & midbass
Less impact
Mids*Less forward
More organic
More forward
Drier
TrebleLess airMore air
Drier
Soundstage/Imaging*EllipticalMore spherical
Greater instrument separation
Tonality*WarmNeutral-warm
TimbreMore accurateLess accurate
Resolution / Detail retrievalLesserSlightly greater
StrengthsJazz, Folk, Acoustic, World, Percussion, male vocals*, String quartetsPop, soundscape, classical
(arguably more versatile), female vocals
Listening sessionsLonger sessionsShorter sessions
Listening attentionPassiveMore active / critical

*represents most significant differences

Comment – the differences here are largely in the overall tonality of organic vs slightly dry, technically speaking they are both very good. The tonal difference being largely due to the subbass presence of the MX150 Retune and the hefty midbass presence on the Wraith. Overall timbre of both drivers is of course very good (like most Blur buds).

Conclusion

I love the Wraith. It’s warm, detailed, timbrally impeccable and has good technicalities. It’s perfect for my long listening sessions. It’s important to note that I think this driver needs more power to shine than the MX150 that’s currently on offer from Master Wong. I would say the volume pot sits 20-30% higher and I hear it scaling (tonally and technically) more from desktop amping than the MX150. Give it power and it becomes a big character with a hefty weight to it and I frequently forget I’m listening to earbuds and not headphones. This was quite the contrary to my initial impressions using a lower powered source and where I felt the signature was lightweight and reasonably transparent.

Who do I think this bud is for? It’s perfect for those who enjoy a warm signature but not at the expense of detail and for those who listen to primarily small(er) group instrumental music. It sits a sweet spot for the placement of the midrange too, not distant, but not too forward or invasive. A good place to start if you’re new to Blur buds and unsure where in the Blur mid-centric tunings you should go. It’s for anyone who enjoy percussionists, like Colin Currie as an example, or any music with percussion present (i.e. most!). Listen to Wraith with a good amp and you’ll be treated to an headphone level performance and presence.

The Wraith fills a niche in my earbud rotation and I’m impressed with the PK150 driver, so much so that I’ll be requesting it in future Blur models where there is the option. Master Wong has done it again and he deserves recognition for the effort he has put in bringing this pesky driver to heel (not to mention facing the issue of driver matching that he told me was a particular challenge in this case). I extend my thanks to @WoodyLuvr for inspiring this model too.

Was I right to let the Wraith in?

Let’s just say this is a haunting I’m more than happy to live with. 😊

_DSC2435.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #786 of 1,529
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith (150Ω) Review

Source:

Shanling M8 (LO mode, low gain) > Little Dot 1+ (Mullard M8100 + Burson Audio V6 Vivid)

[Mullard M8100 are a warm tube and have with a nice bass emphasis. The V6 Vivid is an opamp that is great at expanding stage size and has a focus on detail retrieval. I like to think both of these together produce a nice balance of analogue signature, resolution and technicality]

Used with full foams.

Disclaimer: I paid full price for this earbud, with no monetary incentive to write this review.

Burn in: 70hours

Music: world music, jazz, ambient, electronic

Preamble

I’m back again. Drawn in like a moth to the light…

A few months ago I started to hear rumours bubbling of a model in development, inspired by @WoodyLuvr, that was PK shelled and OFC cabled (i.e. excellent comfort levels). Wong couldn’t share with me all the details as it was a work in progress but did say it was using Japan-sourced 150ohm drivers that weren’t all that easy to come by and had proven hard to implement due to being naturally bright-leaning. He also said the driver had a very realistic portrayal of instruments. When the King of Timbre, Master Wong, says instruments sound realistic, you pay attention! Luckily for Wong, a very humble man who lets his wares speak for themselves, it didn’t take much of a sales pitch beyond this brief conversation to convince me to buy a new Blur earbud. My order went as soon as it was physically possible.

Further information shared by @WoodyLuvr revealed this model, the Wraith, would sit somewhere between the OFC STE and the PK16 White Face. For those that don’t know me, or are new to the thread (welcome!), the OFC MX64 STE is my favourite Blur model and I consider it close to perfect for my tastes and music library. The MX64 STE is quite forward with its midrange and I find this incredibly enjoyable and non-fatiguing, however, it encourages me to apply a critical ear to listening and while it can be used for passive listening sessions (e.g. while working) I prefer something a little warmer and less forward to pass the hours. The White Face on the other hand is a great set little set for bass-centric music and male vocals in particular but it is almost too warm for the vast majority of my music library and some detail can get lost in the hefty lows. Thus, the prospect of a model that sat between these two was right up my street and niche I wanted to fill.

As further context to this purchase I had recently received the Blur 266 MX150 Retune that I praised as having a very ‘balanced’ and versatile signature with great top to bottom range. I’ll do my best to compare the two at the end of this review.

Fast forward to a few weeks later and the Wraith was haunting my front door; read on to find out if I made the right decision to let the apparition in!

Sound

First impressions – I posted my first impressions earlier this month. Within the first day of listening I could already see this model jostling for top spot with the MX64. I felt it sat in a ‘goldilocks zone’ of critical detail and warmth for long listening. This hasn’t changed. I have only grown to love it more for that reason. It also has other distinguishing features that make it standout from the current Blur line-up.

Bass – midbass focus, peerless timbre, excellent texture, capable of delivering a solid punch, minimal if any rumble

This is probably the top selling point for me. The bass is amazing for instrumental music of any sort with very good texture and a natural attack, sustain and decay with a good thump. Bass quantity here is more than my other Blurs apart from the White Face. When powered properly you can get some real tactility from the driver. There is not much, if any, subbass but it doesn’t detract from the music I listen to which rarely enters those frequencies. For this reason I would recommend the MX150 Retune over the Wraith for those who listen to electronic/pop/ambient primarily. The MX150 reaches deeper but lacks the impact, body and timbral excellence of the Wraith.

Combine the very good texture, near faultless timbre and healthy midbass quantity and the Wraith has some of the most realistic reproduction of percussive music I’ve heard. That includes my current line up of Blurs and IEMs. Drums of all varieties sound spectacular. This alone is worth the price of entry for me.

Mids – warm, forward, good detail, organic, incredible male vocals, good female vocals

The size and placement of the second mountain on the Wraith is great. The mids aren’t as forward as other Blur models I have (especially compared to the OFC MX400 STE and the OFC MX64 STE, and less so the MX150 Retune). The excellent bass performance and midbass focus at the Wraiths foundation shines through here giving the mids a warm hue that sacrifices a degree of detail but things never feel veiled. At the lower end of the mids male vocals have a solid presence with plenty of nuance. Best in class male vocals of the Blurs I’ve heard in fact. Female vocals have good presence and detailing thanks to very good uppermid and treble quantity. They do remain warm and full bodied and I appreciate some people prefer transparency and a light touch to female vocalists. Luckily I’m quite fond of this presentation of vocals as it keeps things analogue and romantic without sacrificing too much in the way of detail. Exactly in line with the ‘passive’ listening slant I wanted to encourage. Vocals and instruments never get shouty and I don’t have issues with some troublesome areas that I use to test for shout – namely some intense choral pieces and some tenor sax.

Treble – excellent definition, precise but never sharp

Despite the warm leaning signature of the Wraith it manages to carry with it plenty of detail in the upper registers. Cymbals and other percussion up top are so good, plenty of shimmer without being splashy. Very natural decay. Everything is there, nothing is missing and it doesn’t feel artificial. There’s a sense of space and air despite the overall warm and forward signature. @WoodyLuvr did mention that the driver was naturally bright leaning and very detailed and I can see that undercurrent coming through but it’s never enough to break the warm guise of the Wraith.

Technicalities

Staging – soundstage is wide laterally reaching beyond the ear with good height but minimal front to back dimension.

Imaging, Instrument Separation & Layering – Imaging is great with good depth, left-right transitions are graduated with no centre compression. Instrument separation is a bit tight and more intimate than some of the other Blurs, namely the OFC MX400 STE and the OFC MX64 STE.

Timbre

Well deserving of recognition is the PK150 ohm driver timbre. It’s taught and responsive but still organic and everything is made ten times better by the tactility / bass presence the tuning has. I would say with regards to timbre it’s the best driver I’ve heard from the Blur line up, better than the MX64 STE and possibly slightly ahead of the OFC MX400 STE.

266 MX150 aPs Retune vs OFC PK150 Wraith SE

WraithMX150 Retune
Bass*Midbass
Greater impact
Arguably better ‘quality’ and quantity
Balanced sub & midbass
Less impact
Mids*Less forward
More organic
More forward
Drier
TrebleLess airMore air
Drier
Soundstage/Imaging*EllipticalMore spherical
Greater instrument separation
Tonality*WarmNeutral-warm
TimbreMore accurateLess accurate
Resolution / Detail retrievalLesserSlightly greater
StrengthsJazz, Folk, Acoustic, World, Percussion, male vocals*, String quartetsPop, soundscape, classical
(arguably more versatile), female vocals
Listening sessionsLonger sessionsShorter sessions
Listening attentionPassiveMore active / critical

*represents most significant differences

Comment – the differences here are largely in the overall tonality of organic vs slightly dry, technically speaking they are both very good. The tonal difference being largely due to the subbass presence of the MX150 Retune and the hefty midbass presence on the Wraith. Overall timbre of both drivers is of course very good (like most Blur buds).

Conclusion

I love the Wraith. It’s warm, detailed, timbrally impeccable and has good technicalities. It’s perfect for my long listening sessions. It’s important to note that I think this driver needs more power to shine than the MX150 that’s currently on offer from Master Wong. I would say the volume pot sits 20-30% higher and I hear it scaling (tonally and technically) more from desktop amping than the MX150. Give it power and it becomes a big character with a hefty weight to it and I frequently forget I’m listening to earbuds and not headphones. This was quite the contrary to my initial impressions using a lower powered source and where I felt the signature was lightweight and reasonably transparent.

Who do I think this bud is for? It’s perfect for those who enjoy a warm signature but not at the expense of detail and for those who listen to primarily small(er) group instrumental music. It sits a sweet spot for the placement of the midrange too, not distant, but not too forward or invasive. A good place to start if you’re new to Blur buds and unsure where in the Blur mid-centric tunings you should go. It’s for anyone who enjoy percussionists, like Colin Currie as an example, or any music with percussion present (i.e. most!). Listen to Wraith with a good amp and you’ll be treated to an headphone level performance and presence.

The Wraith fills a niche in my earbud rotation and I’m impressed with the PK150 driver, so much so that I’ll be requesting it in future Blur models where there is the option. Master Wong has done it again and he deserves recognition for the effort he has put in bringing this pesky driver to heel (not to mention facing the issue of driver matching that he told me was a particular challenge in this case). I extend my thanks to @WoodyLuvr for inspiring this model too.

Was I right to let the Wraith in?

Let’s just say this is a haunting I’m more than happy to live with. 😊

_DSC2435.jpg
Bravo sir! Very well put.

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #787 of 1,529
Anytime a post alert comes for this thread, I get excited in anticipation for my first Blur arriving! While I've been intrigued climbing the IEM ladder and learning a lot along the way, this is the most curious I've been due to a complete switch of configuration but with what I'm expecting align with my listening preferences, that being emotive and coherent - in my experience so far, I can't have one without the other.

Hats off to you guys working in the medical profession and in I'm sure very difficult circumstances over the last +18 months. Hopefully that light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer, it sure has been a challenging time - this hobby kept me sane!

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #788 of 1,529
what I'm expecting align with my listening preferences, that being emotive and coherent - in my experience so far, I can't have one without the other.

The first evening I had the MX64 STE there was a depth of emotional connection to my music that I hadn't had before. Music sounded more human and raw than it ever has. I hope you find a signature you like within the Blur line up, and earbuds in general, that hits you like it did me. That experience is what keeps me purchasing, writing reviews etc. And it still happens when I put them on everytime.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #790 of 1,529
@ian91, your write-up was awesome. It’s similar to how I hear the PK32. The big problem I have with being more specific with my PK32 is that it’s essentially the best in all categories out of what I have barring size of soundstage. For the most part it seems that Blur are the only competition for Blur. The PK32 has detail to match the best I’ve heard and timbre that easily bests everything I’ve heard. Keep in mind that I only have about 30 years in the hobby, but I’ve never owned crazy expensive stuff. I have ADAM studio monitors, Sennheiser(too many to count), Grado, and Beyer (too many to count) cans, Etymotic, JVC, FiiO, and Moondrop IEMs and more buds than I care to mention. The connection with the recording is a special thing with my PK32.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #791 of 1,529
Second real sitting with the MX400 STE tonight. It's capable of picking out the finest detail. It lacks bass presence to be used for anything like electronic/pop. I would describe the bass as neutral and it was a big change coming from the other Blurs (especially the hefty Wraith). The lean signature is both it's strength and its weakness. It ensures maximum detail and emphasises space but it also limits its application to only the well mastered and instrumental / classical music.

It easily bests the MX64 STE for string instruments and vocals (now sitting at the top for this). Detail is magnificent without becoming clinical or feeling cold. Vocals with acoustic backing are lush. As is grand choral music. The overall signature is lean but warm and not bright or dry. Just right for the niche it excels at - vocals and strings (especially violin / viola / cello). I think if I was being very picky I would want a bit more midbass/low mid presence but I'm nonetheless very happy to have a Blur to dethrone the MX64 STE for vocals & strings at the desktop. Also, the soundstage (height and width) and imaging is bonkers on this thing. Vocals and instruments float on stage with size and shape...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #794 of 1,529
my Wraith arrived today. Only had about 20 minutes to listen to them tonight, but loving them so far :)

Glad to hear they got there safe! Enjoy!

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #795 of 1,529
Second real sitting with the MX400 STE tonight. It's capable of picking out the finest detail. It lacks bass presence to be used for anything like electronic/pop. I would describe the bass as neutral and it was a big change coming from the other Blurs (especially the hefty Wraith). The lean signature is both it's strength and its weakness. It ensures maximum detail and emphasises space but it also limits its application to only the well mastered and instrumental / classical music.

It easily bests the MX64 STE for string instruments and vocals (now sitting at the top for this). Detail is magnificent without becoming clinical or feeling cold. Vocals with acoustic backing are lush. As is grand choral music. The overall signature is lean but warm and not bright or dry. Just right for the niche it excels at - vocals and strings (especially violin / viola / cello). I think if I was being very picky I would want a bit more midbass/low mid presence but I'm nonetheless very happy to have a Blur to dethrone the MX64 STE for vocals & strings at the desktop. Also, the soundstage (height and width) and imaging is bonkers on this thing. Vocals and instruments float on stage with size and shape...
Although our tunings may differ, I more or less share the same experience with my MX400, where it's only shortcoming is a lack of quantity of mid and subbass. Otherwise, the detail and imaging are top tier, better than anything I've ever heard. I just shipped my MX400's back to Wong for repairs, so I'm hoping that goes well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back