Bluesound Node 2i
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #241 of 435
I thought the pro idsd decoded from lan / WiFi as well?
matrix audio should also be on your list.

Yup, Ethernet and Wifi can decode MQA! Thanks for the recommendation for Matrix Audio!

To those who don’t like the node2i unfolding of MQA are you going from rca out on node2i to amp or are you using digital out?

M11 Pro is a nice DAP will have to compare them.

I use spdif coax out of node 2i into my ifi pro iDSD and it decodes mqa up to 384khz for certain tracks! A friend is lending me his Hugo2 so will compare Hugo2 against the iFi. Curious which I'll like more, especially as Hugo2 doesn't decode MQA.

I'll probably use optical out of node 2i into the Hugo2 and spdif coax out of node 2i into the iFi. I'll connect both DACs to via RCA to my amp and then flip the sources back and forth to test!

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #243 of 435
I haven't found any streaming service that compares to actual flac files. Maybe I'm just too picky. I have a hard drive connected to the node and don't use any streaming services.

Interesting. When do a back-to-back of the flac vs the Tidal version, the Tidal version is definitely better. It's louder too, but even when you match the volume, the Tidal has more detail and punch. I can't remember if I was listening to MQA or CD though (on Tidal).... will check tonight. Maybe it was just that one song though... again, I'll test it again tonight.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #244 of 435
I have no idea if MQA has any effect on sound quality. I do know that Tidal Masters tracks sound a lot better than those that aren't. And, the transfer rate of Masters tracks is a lot higher often times in the 1M-1.5M range. And, the sampling rate is often times higher as well. I am not sure if it is the quality of the recording or the higher data transfer rate that is causing the sound improvement.

I do know that my Schiit bifrost 2 DAC without MQA sounds a lot better than my Node 2i that does have it.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #245 of 435
Yup, Ethernet and Wifi can decode MQA! Thanks for the recommendation for Matrix Audio!

I use spdif coax out of node 2i into my ifi pro iDSD and it decodes mqa up to 384khz for certain tracks! A friend is lending me his Hugo2 so will compare Hugo2 against the iFi. Curious which I'll like more, especially as Hugo2 doesn't decode MQA.

I'll probably use optical out of node 2i into the Hugo2 and spdif coax out of node 2i into the iFi. I'll connect both DACs to via RCA to my amp and then flip the sources back and forth to test!
Have you tried the rca out on the node2i to test its dac?
For it's price point It's a nice sounding box in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #246 of 435
Have you tried the rca out on the node2i to test its dac?
For it's price point It's a nice sounding box in my opinion.

Ya used the internal node2i dac for the last few months and really enjoyed it. But when I picked up an iFi pro iDSD, it was a big step up. Not in all music I was listening to but anything quite lush or with a strong vocal element, I enjoyed the roundness the iFi added to the sound. I still keep the RCA out of the node2i hooked up to my amp so my wife can use Tidal Connect without having to power on my iFi pro iDSD. I swap back and forth now and then, just testing my ears. Node2i really is an incredible value! And the blueos app is really nice. So much so that I prefer to use the node2i as a streamer rather than use the built in streamer of the iFi pro iDSD as I don't really like Muzo or mConnect that much.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #248 of 435
The Pro and NEO do MQA via SPDIF, but our Diablo doesn't (yet).
Hi iFi,

Sorry I misunderstood! I just quoted what was on your iFi diablo mainpage:
"It also provides full MQA decoding! Check out our MQA set-up tutorial (using the highly acclaimed NEO) for Tidal, Roon and Audirvana here.

And with MQA now available over S/PDIF, you can take advantage of any MQA CDs in your collection."

I do look forward to trying it!

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #249 of 435
Hi iFi,

Sorry I misunderstood! I just quoted what was on your iFi diablo mainpage:
"It also provides full MQA decoding! Check out our MQA set-up tutorial (using the highly acclaimed NEO) for Tidal, Roon and Audirvana here.

And with MQA now available over S/PDIF, you can take advantage of any MQA CDs in your collection."

I do look forward to trying it!

All good! And yes, iDSD Diablo is a full MQA decoder, but for now only via USB :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 19, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #251 of 435
Ya used the internal node2i dac for the last few months and really enjoyed it. But when I picked up an iFi pro iDSD, it was a big step up. Not in all music I was listening to but anything quite lush or with a strong vocal element, I enjoyed the roundness the iFi added to the sound. I still keep the RCA out of the node2i hooked up to my amp so my wife can use Tidal Connect without having to power on my iFi pro iDSD. I swap back and forth now and then, just testing my ears. Node2i really is an incredible value! And the blueos app is really nice. So much so that I prefer to use the node2i as a streamer rather than use the built in streamer of the iFi pro iDSD as I don't really like Muzo or mConnect that much.
thanks that is good to hear as I think the pro idsd might be my next purchase I really like the idea of ss and tube in one package, I already have the pro I can for my bedroom amp and mirco BL and a m11 pro for Portable use. I also love the Xbass implementation on the pro ican. I looked at the matrix mini i pro3 but didn’t want to get into the whole roon thing.

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #254 of 435
Playing with my Node 2i as a streamer right now with a Chord Hugo2. Curious if anyone has tried this, and if so, did you turn the setting "MQA external dac" on or off? Recognizing that if left off, the Node2i will unfold to 96khz and then Hugo2 will get a processed file, and if turned on, Node 2i will pass untouched file to Hugo2 which will do its own thing. I've played with both and to my ear.... I think I like it when the Node2i unfolds the MQA first, but I know technically this isn't the best way to use the Hugo2.

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #255 of 435
I just use rca connection from my node to my amp. Is there another type of connection that could be better ?
Not if you want MQA and you don't have another MQA DAC.

Playing with my Node 2i as a streamer right now with a Chord Hugo2. Curious if anyone has tried this, and if so, did you turn the setting "MQA external dac" on or off? Recognizing that if left off, the Node2i will unfold to 96khz and then Hugo2 will get a processed file, and if turned on, Node 2i will pass untouched file to Hugo2 which will do its own thing. I've played with both and to my ear.... I think I like it when the Node2i unfolds the MQA first, but I know technically this isn't the best way to use the Hugo2.
It probably is the best way to use them together if you want MQA. As you said, Chord doesn't support MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back