Bluesound Node 2i
Jan 29, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #226 of 435
I haven't found any streaming service that compares to actual flac files. Maybe I'm just too picky. I have a hard drive connected to the node and don't use any streaming services. That will change when YouTube music is implemented as I already pay for that so I may as well use it once available on node
Are your files all high res 24 / 192 flac? Or DSD or just standard flac rips of cd’s?

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #229 of 435
I have a setup like LadderB, without the upgraded power supply. I have the Node 2i -> Rme Adi-2 - > Denon Reciever -> B&W speakers.

The node 2i is a transport and a dac. In my tesing, my 2016 macbook pro has better SQ than the node 2i. And a good standalone dac, will have better SQ than the node 2i dac. But the Node 2i is a good combo at that pricepoint, and it does what i need in that system.

I like the node 2i in my home system because it is very easy to use. When using the Rme Adi-2 as a dac, the combo sounds terrific. All together, this combo is easy to use, and sounds great in my setup. While using the macbook in this system would improve the SQ slightly, the hassle is not worth it to me.
Not sure how to account for it, but my experience has been exactly the opposite of this; using any of 4 different pcs, and 3 different Android devices, sq is anywhere between noticeably and significantly better with the Node 2i as the streamer/renderer than with any of those 7 devices as the direct to dac source via USB, and this is true whether streaming from Amazon or my own library. I find it hard to believe this is due to tablet/pc vs Mac or Android/Windows vs Mac OS, but I guess anything is possible.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #231 of 435
Anyone using Node 2i with a Chord Hugo 2? I've been thinking of making an upgrade but am pretty happy with the node as a streamer. If so how did you connect? Optical or with a weird coax to 4pin 3.5mm spdif?
I've done it. I used optical. I also have the Hugo 2/2go. The Bluesound Node 2i sounds better and supports Tidal connect. I have since removed my Hugo 2 from this set up and replaced it with a Schiit Bifrost 2 and I connect that with coax.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #232 of 435
my node 2i is very detailed using headphones. it seems to be a little weak on the bass. Anyone experience this.
No. To me, the Node 2i adds transparency, clarity and sound stage. It doesn't make the sound signature brighter.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #233 of 435
I've done it. I used optical. I also have the Hugo 2/2go. The Bluesound Node 2i sounds better and supports Tidal connect. I have since removed my Hugo 2 from this set up and replaced it with a Schiit Bifrost 2 and I connect that with coax.
Thanks for the reply! The bluesound node 2i internal dac sounds better than then hugo2?

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #234 of 435
Thanks for the reply! The bluesound node 2i internal dac sounds better than then hugo2?
definitely not. The internal DAC in the node 2i doesn't sound better than a Schiit modi multibit. I A/B tested them when I first got it.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #235 of 435
definitely not. The internal DAC in the node 2i doesn't sound better than a Schiit modi multibit. I A/B tested them when I first got it.
Thanks! Sorry I misread your post. Much appreciated. Trying to figure out of node 2i and Hugo2 is the way to go. I'm in Canada and don't have easy access to the coax-3.5mm connector the Hugo 2 requires. Was wondering if optical still sounded good. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #236 of 435
Ditto. The akm4497 implementation in my m11pro via lo to my preamp>amps sounds better than the internal dac in the node2i, to say nothing of my Gungnir MB. I only use it for tv.

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #237 of 435
Thanks! Sorry I misread your post. Much appreciated. Trying to figure out of node 2i and Hugo2 is the way to go. I'm in Canada and don't have easy access to the coax-3.5mm connector the Hugo 2 requires. Was wondering if optical still sounded good. Thanks!
Got it. Optical works great. I have a Hiby usb-c to coax cable for connecting my Hiby R6 2020 DAP to my Hugo 2. That works great, too. I haven't tried coax with my Hugo 2 and node 2i.

As I said earlier, I connect my node 2i to my Schiit Bifrost 2 using coax and I can't tell the difference between that and the optical connection. I A/B tested it and they sounded the same for the tracks I tested.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #238 of 435
Out of curiosity, anyone have a good shortlist of external DACs that unfold MQA via coax? Most unfold via USB only. This restriction is problematic mainly for Node 2i users who want to use the Node as a transport only. From my research:

iFi Pro iDSD
iFi Neo iDSD
iFi Diablo
Mytek Liberty
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge

Are there others?

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #239 of 435
Out of curiosity, anyone have a good shortlist of external DACs that unfold MQA via coax? Most unfold via USB only. This restriction is problematic mainly for Node 2i users who want to use the Node as a transport only. From my research:

iFi Pro iDSD
iFi Neo iDSD
iFi Diablo
Mytek Liberty
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge

Are there others?
I thought the pro idsd decoded from lan / WiFi as well?
matrix audio should also be on your list.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #240 of 435
To those who don’t like the node2i unfolding of MQA are you going from rca out on node2i to amp or are you using digital out?
Ditto. The akm4497 implementation in my m11pro via lo to my preamp>amps sounds better than the internal dac in the node2i, to say nothing of my Gungnir MB. I only use it for tv.
M11 Pro is a nice DAP will have to compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back