Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320)
Aug 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #91 of 1,134
I just managed to get a hold of the TM7 through eBay since they're out of stock and here are my impressions. My daily earbuds are the Sennheiser MX580 and MX581, although I've owned a fair amount headphones in the past. I do not believe in burn ins and I don't use amps anymore because they are not portable. I connect them directly to my Sony Xperia phone and to my desktop with foobar2000+WASAPI.

First impression: It looks like a cheap pair of $3 earbuds, at least the cable seems durable, but too bad it is not right angle plug.

With the foampads, with and without the donut cut: It sounded underwhelming, with the exact same sound signature of my MX580 (concentration in the low end, recessed high end, warm but muddy sounding.) On the positive side, it has good details, the voices and high end were not sharp. I could not enjoy the sound at all (other than rock and metal) because there is too much upper bass and it muddled the entire sound. Overall it only sound marginally better than the MX580, but too muddy and with laid back high end. At this point I thought I was April fooled into buying some cheap earbuds labeled as high end.

I noticed the "rubberpads" that came with my Sennheiser MX580 and decided to put them on the Blox. It completely improved the sound in every ways. The bass is tighter and less muddy, the rubberpads does a better job transferring the low frequencies 'rumble' onto your ears so you can 'feel' the bass more. It allowed some midrange and more highend through and opened up the soundstage. The sound is just clearer and tighter overall. Sometimes the voices might be too frontal, but it suit me since I like AKG and Etymotic sounds. A good example is the song Nick Drake - Black Eyed Dog, with foampads the guitar has an artificial muddle, with the rubberpads its much cleaner. They definitely have a spacious sound considering their physical size.

In summary: Foampads = similar to Sennheiser MX580 sound, muddy, laid back sound. Rubberpads = more toward AKG sound, tighter lowend, very forward midrange, overall clean sound, sometimes a little raw. Some people might prefer the foampads for metal and rock music due to more upperbass, but the improvement of the rubberpads is big, its like two different earbuds. The only problem with these rubberpads is they make the diameter of the buds thicker which can make your ears uncomfortable in no time if you have smaller ears, this could be a big downer.

Do these Blox TM7 worth their retail price of $140? This is my first day with it and I haven't connected it to a proper DAC, but I would say no, because for the same price you can buy the fullsize AKG K271S, but then these earbuds I feel are made for a selected audience only. From this I feel the diminishing point for earbuds come very fast. If you're going to buy them have a realistic expectation due to the size limitation of earbuds diaphragm. My recommendation is if you have a quality source and lossless music library they're worth it. If most of your library are mp3 at 256kbps or lower and playing from a cheaper source, then I think the Sennheiser MX580 is good enough, especially with those rubberpads. The Blox TM7 literally have similar sound signature to the MX580, but with a more refined sound. Also these Blox earbuds tend to run out of stock so they aren't exactly easy to get a hold of.

edit: Also tried driving it with my E-MU 0404 USB DAC, the sound is fantastic, I guess they do benefit from amping. What I like from these earbuds is they have a wide stereo width.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #93 of 1,134
I just managed to get a hold of the TM7 through eBay since they're out of stock and here are my impressions. My daily earbuds are the Sennheiser MX580 and MX581, although I've owned a fair amount headphones in the past. I do not believe in burn ins and I don't use amps anymore because they are not portable. I connect them directly to my Sony Xperia phone and to my desktop with foobar2000+WASAPI.

First impression: It looks like a cheap pair of $3 earbuds, at least the cable seems durable, but too bad it is not right angle plug.

With the foampads, with and without the donut cut: It sounded underwhelming, with the exact same sound signature of my MX580 (concentration in the low end, recessed high end, warm but muddy sounding.) On the positive side, it has good details, the voices and high end were not sharp. I could not enjoy the sound at all (other than rock and metal) because there is too much upper bass and it muddled the entire sound. Overall it only sound marginally better than the MX580, but too muddy and with laid back high end. At this point I thought I was April fooled into buying some cheap earbuds labeled as high end.

[/]

Ok so average packaging, average looks, limited accessories, no explanation on the technology, tuning or development, warm, muddy & laid-back sound, a few free samples given away like candy for reviews... lol.

I still want to try them since I'm a fan of the classic earbud sound and need zero isolation sometimes (like traffic, jogging, office), it's just.............

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #94 of 1,134
I want the vintage buds from awia and sony
frown.gif

I haven't heard any Aiwa's, but Sony initially invented and pioneered the earbud, there are models which used ceramics, diamond vapour, bio-cellulose and such, and they cost less than this one back in the 90's so I'd prefer a technical explanation as to why this is good, not just reviews... that's just me though not hatin'. =]

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #95 of 1,134
Ok so average packaging, average looks, limited accessories, no explanation on the technology, tuning or development, warm, muddy & laid-back sound, a few free samples given away like candy for reviews... lol.
Well hopefully my impression didn't come off too negative. I'm just surprised how drastically different the sound is with the foampads compared to the rubberpads. I wouldn't say the sound is laidback, just some of the midrange and highend with the foampads because they are all overtaken by the bass, with the rubberpads they are more neutral and reavealingwhich I like. I certainly am enjoying the sound now, I just don't feel it should be $140. Maybe it will sound even better with amp and a decent source. Best I can say about them is YMMV.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #96 of 1,134
Quote:
[......] Blox earbuds tend to run out of stock so they aren't exactly easy to get a hold of.

Too bad you don't trust in burning, because mine after now 200+ hours are quite impressive (properly burned in state of art).
After connecting them right after open the box, I was feeling exactly the same and was a bit frustrated aswell, but after a burning, it's how you recognize a high fidelity earphone. On Yuin PK1 and Blox TM7, it works perfecty and totally improve much the sound quality, which is not the case of my other pair of Yuin PK3 (which I absolutely not qualify them as hi-fi earphones and do not play in the court of PK1 and TM7).
By the way I think it's not a good idea to use your "rubberpads" that came with my Sennheiser MX580, for simply and good reason that it cover the holes of the TM7 and behind of the driver aswell. I would suggest you to use like me and others a classic donut foam "donut-ed".

Otherwise, I'am now much pleased in listening with my TM7 not amped than my PK1s amped.
I still use them with PK1 donuts foam.

For the moment after 15+ hours of real listening with TM7, here is the list of negative points I found to them :
  1. TM7 don't support too much bass like the PK1 can go, otherwise it will begin to crackle and saturate very fast.
  2. I don't like the body of TM7, I really prefer PK1 one as it fits much better to my ears aswell and I'am sure that the real chamber room on the back of the PK1 really improve the bass, where on TM7 it's only a fake hole chamber room (for example if you hide them with your thumb : on PK1 you will hear muddy bass which is not the case in TM7).
  3. Another problem of that body I find is that I need to adjust them on almost every movements I do, to really get the better sound they can deliverate, and they don't fit very well into my ears. So it could be a major problem if you walk and more if you do some sports for example.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #97 of 1,134
In summary: Foampads = similar to Sennheiser MX580 sound, muddy, laid back sound. ...]

Since I own the MX580, I can agree that the two do share some of same sound signature. The difference, the part that is most apparent to me, is not in the style of presentation, but the missing of detail in MX580 under comparison. MX580 has a grainy treble and a slightly hollowed out mid (or should I say that TM7 has the ability to fill the room with detail that is generally missed by most other), TM7 doesn't. I'll suggest you listen to TM7 solely for some of your most familiar songs and music for an extended period of time, then switch back to MX580 for the same music to see if you can tell any major difference. The devil is in the detail, so to speak.

Price wise, I do agree TM7 can seen excessively expensive vs. MX580. But then again, I also think MX580 is exceedingly good sounding for $25, even when it is no nearly as good as the $29 M2c. Unfortunately the law of diminishing return wins again in this case.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #98 of 1,134
By the way I think it's not a good idea to use your "rubberpads" that came with my Sennheiser MX580, for simply and good reason that it cover the holes of the TM7 and behind of the driver aswell. I would suggest you to use like me and others a classic donut foam "donut-ed".
I noticed that, but for some reason it sound good so I can't argue with it. I tried with the donut cut and it didn't help alleviate the bloatness of the upperbass. I will dust off my EMU dac later and see how it is.

The difference, the part that is most apparent to me, is not in the style of presentation, but the missing of detail in MX580 under comparison. MX580 has a grainy treble and a slightly hollowed out mid (or should I say that TM7 has the ability to fill the room with detail that is generally missed by most other), TM7 doesn't.
I agree, didn't made it clear enough in my first post.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #99 of 1,134
I noticed a few pages back some folks that are subbed to this thread are looking for PK1s...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624387/yuin-pk1

I don't know Alphaphoenix, he never asked me to punt these, but, I know how it feels to watch the classifieds every day hoping someone will part with a specific model for a reasonable price :).

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #100 of 1,134
Quote:
I noticed a few pages back some folks that are subbed to this thread are looking for PK1s...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624387/yuin-pk1

I don't know Alphaphoenix, he never asked me to punt these, but, I know how it feels to watch the classifieds every day hoping someone will part with a specific model for a reasonable price :).

annnd SOLD

Alphaphoenix is a cool dude, BTW

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #101 of 1,134
Never dealt with him myself, but all reports I have heard indicate he's pretty awesome to deal with.

If you need an amp, and don't mind the awkward size, might I recommend the humble PA2V2? I haven't heard it paired with a pair of PK1, but I had one for a while and loved it...

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #102 of 1,134
They're on their way to me! Thanks for the heads up Fleas! I can't wait to hear them.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #104 of 1,134
Quote:
I wonder when Blox decides to develop another earbud, if he would consider using a similar casing like the Yuin PK series.  Personally I think he would be on to a winner, and make a lot of customers happy.

This and a better cable than the M2C would have me considering buying Blox again.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #105 of 1,134
Quote:
I wonder when Blox decides to develop another earbud, if he would consider using a similar casing like the Yuin PK series.  Personally I think he would be on to a winner, and make a lot of customers happy.

100% agree.
This TM7 would be a real winner with a PK1-2 body case. I'am sure that bass would be much deepers than PK1.
Maybe a good and crazy modder can do it ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back