Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320)
Oct 22, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #751 of 1,134
Out of all the earbuds listed in this thread the M2Cs IMO are probably the best sounding when it comes to clarity, sparkle and sound stage, only downside to the M2C is the cable, I have looked after the M2C very well and the cable has got very stiff.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #752 of 1,134
The stiff cabled M2C, the original batch from a couple years back, I agree have a superior sound to the softer cabled M2C produced more recently. The current batch, while still a fine earbud, are a bit darker and muddier in the lower mid frequencies (Blox confess that they are tuned differently to the earlier batch). But I'm still liking them these past couple weeks as a change from the sheen of the Tingo TG 38. The M2C is less fatiguing for lomger listening periods.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #753 of 1,134
BE3 just arrived. Placed Yurbuds ebhancers on them and tried them out. Right off the bat they sound really great. It's like an in-between of the BE5 and BE7 but 1/3 the price. It has the warmth of BE5 and the speed (mid to upper frequencies) of BE7. Very impressed.
These are initial impressions and sound may change a little.
I don't know what makes the BE5 and 7 so much more. Is it internal materials? They're all similar on the outside. The time/resource it took to tune? My mind is boggled right now.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #754 of 1,134
I had a meet up with the current director of BLOX last week (Woo, yes... He's now the man running everything behind the scenes with his few employees).
He's a great chap to talk to - Very knowledgeable, open to opinions and likewise open to delivering opinions, transparent about his tastes and his ideology behind what he does, and also, looks very young, walks very fast. :D

From my limited few hours of conversation with I think I am allowed to say this much:

1) BLOX indeed do tune and assemble the drivers themselves. From winding of the voice coil, to the diaphragm thickness, to selection of magnets... etc. These are not off the shelf drivers, but made by himself and BLOX employees.

2) Each earbud takes BLOX up to 1 1/2 hours to complete.

3) The reason why earbuds come and go with BLOX is because:
a. Woo is always trying new things, developing new earbuds, and whenever he comes across a tuning which he believes could be accepted by the mass market, he will then release it.​
b. Limited manpower - If BLOX starts production of a new earbud, the assembly line could likely only produce 10~15 earbuds in a day, hence requiring them to focus on a single or few models at a time.​

4) The reason why BLOX do not do casing printout or identifications to a particular model.... Woo did admit it is cheap to order casings with prints. However, the MOQ tends to be of the thousands (5000 onwards), and with how BLOX shifts between models this could introduce tons of wastage which he wants to prevent. He is however, looking into getting his own printing machine some time in the future....... :wink:

Those were a great few hours with Woo, tried out an upcoming BE flagship (not sure when will he release that though), had a great time with him.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #757 of 1,134
What is the sound like for the be flagship :D

Smooth, open sounding, and very, very effortless. :wink:
I did not bring my usual Yuin foams so I missed out the chance to see how it'd sound on my usual setup, but with the stock foams I could easily hear these traits.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #760 of 1,134
[/quote]
Hmm, sounds great....would it beat the pk1 in soundstage reproduction?

Hey mochill! :)
Sorry but I haven't heard my PK1 for some time now - Too tonally coloured in my humble opinion, though the top end does sound a little less restrained than my TM7. Kept it in my drawer since my TM7 arrived.

im afraid you are a bit  no informed :D
blox has long surpassed pk1.... 

IMHO I do agree that BLOX is capable (and have already) produced earbuds that surpassed Yuin's, but you'd be surprised how much respect and regards Woo gives Yuin, which of course is a good thing. I still remember his face in shock when I told him I think the BE3 is better than the PK1 (in term of tonal balance, speed and driveability though, I should had explained that lol).

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #761 of 1,134
After getting sick of my numerous Yuin PK3 constantly breaking down (have probably gone through about 8 pairs) and always being interested in the glowing reviews every Blox product gets on these forums, I jumped at the chance to get some BE3s when I saw that they were in stock.

Went to the post office to pick them up and before I even left the building I swapped out my PK3s and plugged in the BE3s. I listen on my Clip+ with the bass kicked up to +4 (no audiophile stuff or me; I like my music loud and punchy) and straight out of the box these BE3s absolutely BLEW AWAY my PK3s with hundreds of hours of burn-in on them. Until that point I had never heard an earbud that beats the PK3 under $100. The Sennheisers that people often praise on these forums are too watered-down for me. The bass on these Blox is MONSTROUS; +4 is almost 'boomy' levels of bass and I am just staggered that a tiny earbud can produce a sound of the same timbre as some full-sized DJ headphones. I can't even bare to think about how good they will sound after some solid burn-in time. Oh, and these are also easier to drive than the Yuins. The same volume setting on my Clip+ is louder through the Blox than through the Yuins.

I listen to everything from acoustic folk, indie, punk and hardcore, hip hop, disco, funk, dubstep, jazz, classical, etc..everything I have run through them so far has sounded huge. Walking home with these things earlier I must have had a huge grin on my face; sound this big deserves to be heard by everyone and I seriously couldn't believe that it was coming out of such a tiny package and I was the only one who was hearing it. I prefer earbuds to IEMs because IEMs are dangerous when cycling because they block out so much ambient noise; plus they make me feel like I am listening to music underwater; plus I can never seem to get a good fit with them. These Blox are the perfect size and won't twist and turn around in your ears (at least with the pads on).

Regarding the bass thing: I am not a basshead. My main full-sized headphones are Grado SR-225s. What I DO look for in my audio gear is a fun presentation. I think of it this way: every single recording that you listen to will be coloured to some degree by the equipment it is coming through. Even if you listen to a 'neutral' headphone, it's gonna retain some of the characteristics of the CD player/turntable/amp/whatever it is running through. The only way to get true 'real' sound is to hear music played live. So if colouration of your music is a given...then embrace it. Get the most 'fun' out of it that you can! That's why I love the PK3s and the Grados. They take fun music and make it funner.

Basically; these earphones rock hard. If you listen to any kind of modern music at all you owe it to yourself to own them.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #762 of 1,134
ext23 - since you are a basshead, you should head on over to Dasetn's webpage and order a pair of Dasetn MC5: http://www.dasetn.com/dasetn-mc5-earbuds_p3327.html

Overall, Blox BE3 are much more balanced and I prefer them, but the Dasetn MC5 sure does pack a mean bass punch! Also $10 is a very good price. You should also check out the Dasetn M1, which sound like a leaner and version of the Blox BE3 and Baldoor E100. Soundwise, the Baldoor E100 is just as good as Blox BE3, but fit isn't as good...

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #763 of 1,134
After getting sick of my numerous Yuin PK3 constantly breaking down (have probably gone through about 8 pairs) and always being interested in the glowing reviews every Blox product gets on these forums, I jumped at the chance to get some BE3s when I saw that they were in stock.

Went to the post office to pick them up and before I even left the building I swapped out my PK3s and plugged in the BE3s. I listen on my Clip+ with the bass kicked up to +4 (no audiophile stuff or me; I like my music loud and punchy) and straight out of the box these BE3s absolutely BLEW AWAY my PK3s with hundreds of hours of burn-in on them. Until that point I had never heard an earbud that beats the PK3 under $100. The Sennheisers that people often praise on these forums are too watered-down for me. The bass on these Blox is MONSTROUS; +4 is almost 'boomy' levels of bass and I am just staggered that a tiny earbud can produce a sound of the same timbre as some full-sized DJ headphones. I can't even bare to think about how good they will sound after some solid burn-in time. Oh, and these are also easier to drive than the Yuins. The same volume setting on my Clip+ is louder through the Blox than through the Yuins.

I listen to everything from acoustic folk, indie, punk and hardcore, hip hop, disco, funk, dubstep, jazz, classical, etc..everything I have run through them so far has sounded huge. Walking home with these things earlier I must have had a huge grin on my face; sound this big deserves to be heard by everyone and I seriously couldn't believe that it was coming out of such a tiny package and I was the only one who was hearing it. I prefer earbuds to IEMs because IEMs are dangerous when cycling because they block out so much ambient noise; plus they make me feel like I am listening to music underwater; plus I can never seem to get a good fit with them. These Blox are the perfect size and won't twist and turn around in your ears (at least with the pads on).

Regarding the bass thing: I am not a basshead. My main full-sized headphones are Grado SR-225s. What I DO look for in my audio gear is a fun presentation. I think of it this way: every single recording that you listen to will be coloured to some degree by the equipment it is coming through. Even if you listen to a 'neutral' headphone, it's gonna retain some of the characteristics of the CD player/turntable/amp/whatever it is running through. The only way to get true 'real' sound is to hear music played live. So if colouration of your music is a given...then embrace it. Get the most 'fun' out of it that you can! That's why I love the PK3s and the Grados. They take fun music and make it funner.

Basically; these earphones rock hard. If you listen to any kind of modern music at all you owe it to yourself to own them.

If you feel like most of the sound leaks out, you can try the Yurbuds enhancers in place of foam covers. Those to me help retain some of the bass rumble and help keep them on.
I have mentioned them a few times on this thread but I have not heard anyone else try them.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #764 of 1,134
If you feel like most of the sound leaks out, you can try the Yurbuds enhancers in place of foam covers. Those to me help retain some of the bass rumble and help keep them on.
I have mentioned them a few times on this thread but I have not heard anyone else try them.

+1 to the Yurbud enhancers. The ONLY difference between wearable and not wearable for me. And yes they helped a great deal in retaining bass

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #765 of 1,134
is blox be3 ready stock right now??

i emailed woo but he didn't reply 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back