Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #4,831 of 6,129
They are the same people warning others not to spent more money on silver cables first for the $23 BLON BL-01.

...unless you are spending the money for a better fit and finish they are correct in saying this...Not sure what you are getting at here.

So take note, if you don’t have power, getting an aftermarket cable will not cure the issue, especially from a phone.
Getting an aftermarket cable for something like iems isnt going to change anything...what does that have to do with having enough power...?

Through my experience, using silver-plated or pure silver cables tends to give me a more upper edge of vividness and cleaner treble with a more noticeable lower quick bass thump, while bright-colored copper cables gives the effect of a brighter midrange and more noticeable lower sub-bass rumble. Others may agree, or others may differ. So, please compare cables, since all units, cables, and earphones might have slight variation's in the sound, set-up, or outcome of ones own typical listening experience.

...I also noticed that silver cable drives my units slightly louder when compared to a same gauge bright-colored copper cables. That's why, for example, my BLON BL01 sounds more vivid and clearer and slightly louder with silver/silver-plated cables installed.

facepalm-meme-uss-arizona-scale-meme.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #4,832 of 6,129
I am finding the BL-01 tip sensitive. Spiral Dots were not successful, and Spinfits did not suit. The best result so far is with the large tips which came with my Sony MH755. Smoother treble and tighter bass. I'm beginning to hear good things. I think a long burn in may be necessary to maximise the potential of these things!

Spinfits are not ideal with these, but then I remembered the BL-03, and used O-rings. It eases the fit a little.

The AliExpress T400 foams were better. Seal might have been 10% less than with the spinfits, but comfort was improved. And comfort is important here.

I have an MH755 lying around, I never use the large tips. So maybe that is the next step for me.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #4,833 of 6,129
Spinfits are not ideal with these, but then I remembered the BL-03, and used O-rings. It eases the fit a little.

The AliExpress T400 foams were better. Seal might have been 10% less than with the spinfits, but comfort was improved. And comfort is important here.

I have an MH755 lying around, I never use the large tips. So maybe that is the next step for me.
I also have those ali t400's. Work amazing well on all my Blons, can not reccoemnd them any more. I think its like 3 bucks for 3 pairs?

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #4,834 of 6,129
Interesting this guy has the same ideas about power with the BL-01 as I.

Have not seen all his videos but he has two about the BL-01 I think?

Yep, catching up on all of your posts and agree. The backstory was I did have more than a few people asking about cables and wanted to explain where I was at with the 01 and the cable is not going to be the issue. Just wait until you get them and see how it works with your gear. Of course, after I posted that, people asked about cables again.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #4,835 of 6,129
...unless you are spending the money for a better fit and finish they are correct in saying this...Not sure what you are getting at here.

Getting an aftermarket cable for something like iems isnt going to change anything...what does that have to do with having enough power...?

Everyone's opinions on here are just that... Their opinions. Personal and Subjective.. No need to question every statement that everyone makes... Use what you need, If it don't apply, let it fly....jus sayin.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #4,836 of 6,129
Got my BL01 today and my first impression was WOW...
...how the hell did they manage to make an IEM with even worse fit than BL03? Who are those short nozzles are for?

Hours later after some tip rolling:
BL01 is much brighter than BL03, has less warmth and the boomy bass is gone. Also BL01 is more power hungry and need more rotations of the volume knob to play on the same volume as BL03.
After going through some songs I find the tonality of BL03 to be more likable, so BL01 is more like a downgrade to BL03 in my eyes.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #4,837 of 6,129

I also use the large Mh755 tips on a lot of different IEMs... They work well for me due to having large ear canals and provide a better seal.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #4,838 of 6,129
Yup, silver cable will do the trick.
So silver cables make them brighter?
The Bl-01 needs amping ? what do you think ?
Through my experience, using silver-plated or pure silver cables tends to give me a more upper edge of vividness and cleaner treble with a more noticeable lower quick bass thump, while bright-colored copper cables gives the effect of a brighter midrange and more noticeable lower sub-bass rumble. Others may agree, or others may differ. So, please compare cables, since all units, cables, and earphones might have slight variation's in the sound, set-up, or outcome of ones own typical listening experience.

...I also noticed that silver cable drives my units slightly louder when compared to a same gauge bright-colored copper cables. That's why, for example, my BLON BL01 sounds more vivid and clearer and slightly louder with silver/silver-plated cables installed.

Wow, switched to SPC and yes, OFC was too dark. Silver SPC is the solution bringing out treble and soundstage, I have finished my quest to make the BL-01 perfect! Amazing now!

The prescription for success is silver cables and an amp.

Edit: It turns out both SPC and copper change the BL-01 in different directions. Not sure actually which is better? But......the BLON will show cable character.

Cheers!
CD4B397C-C781-4B4F-8AC6-C908E8DF31B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #4,840 of 6,129

Typically your going to have two camps; the cable believers and the cable non-believers. Best for everyone to work out their own process. Typically some will try to use SPC to help clean-up a response much like how an amp will clean-up a response. Yet in use the correct amp and correct cable seem to be an avenue for some to feel they are optimized. Basically we just let folks go with what seems to work for them.

These posts are in reference to the YouTube video where the Head-Fi member is basically saying to not get a silver cable to try and adjust the tone of your BL-01, but get an amp. In the end it may be a combo of both?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #4,842 of 6,129
Typically your going to have two camps; the cable believers and the cable non-believers. Best for everyone to work out their own process. Typically some will try to use SPC to help clean-up a response much like how an amp will clean-up a response. Yet in use the correct amp and correct cable seem to be an avenue for some to feel they are optimized. Basically we just let folks go with what seems to work for them.
1E892994-B79C-4863-92D4-2D9A87D35E2F.jpeg
These posts are in reference to the YouTube video where the Head-Fi member is basically saying to not get a silver cable to try and adjust the tone of your BL-01, but get an amp. In the end it may be a combo of both?

Thatks for the reply.

Side question...do you find the cables without earhook do not keep the IeMs in your ears as well as ones without?

All my nice cables have no hooks seem to always fall out much easier and are less comfortable.

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #4,843 of 6,129
Thatks for the reply.

Side question...do you find the cables without earhook do not keep the IeMs in your ears as well as ones without?

All my nice cables have no hooks seem to always fall out much easier and are less comfortable.

Do you wear eye glasses? I do, and I get the most comfort and stability by removing the preformed ear guide plastic part (or cables without them in the first place), and just relying on my eyeglasses to hold the cable in place behind my ears.

With the glasses AND the ear guides, it’s too thick and bulky.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #4,844 of 6,129
Do you wear eye glasses? I do, and I get the most comfort and stability by removing the preformed ear guide plastic part (or cables without them in the first place), and just relying on my eyeglasses to hold the cable in place behind my ears.

With the glasses AND the ear guides, it’s too thick and bulky.
Sadly my contacts do not help with this. Feelsbadman.jpg

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #4,845 of 6,129
8DC6FD58-307C-45F1-A106-84B561DA865A.jpeg

Ok, and yes, I just quoted myself? :)

I have a series of answers. This is actually pretty simple. I should have included all this in my review of the BLON BL-01 but prior to writing my review I was in a heated argument with an engineer about the superiority of IEM and phone use being as good as or better than a DAP. Due to those struggles I simply decided to leave power requirements out of my review. I was reminded now here that it’s not fair to people to not explain what will happen with this IEM in phone use. So.....

I simply switched to a 3.5mm cable and used a 5th generation iPod and also used a FiiO Alpen 2 E17K and MacBook Air with Colibri playing 24bit files. Regular 320kbps on the IPod.

My answers:

Yes, the BLON BL-01 will sound thin from an IPod. I assume the same power would come from using an IPhone? What is happening is the BL-01 seems to show it’s uninvolved midrange up-front when being underpowered. There is this complete lush backdrop which gets left out of the signature when underpowered by an iPod.

Going simply to a low-cost FiiO portable amp totally showed how, even though not as optimal as my Sony Walkman in 4.4mm, it was the solution to this issue that people are meeting. The mids or treble was not screechy but uninvolved and thin still yet at lower volumes it was nice having all the bass and warmth from having a correct amp. In short, even with the Walkmans the treble and midrange are not spectacular, yet it’s this ability of everything else around the treble and mids to make a spectacular and listenable show. Somehow while the computer and FiiO were not as optimal as the Walkmans........it was nice and perfectly acceptable as expected.

So in short, it’s 100% imperative you use the BLON BL-01 with some kind of amp. People need to realize that the BLON BL-01 is a very capable and amazing IEM but it’s going to need to be catered to. It’s going to be thin and the opposite of the regular consumer mid-bass hump $20 IEMs. It will show a thin and stale unfriendly midrange along with it’s slightly compressed treble from a low power source. These issues will have people feel there is QC issues, when that’s not the case.

https://colibri-lossless.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpPfhnb_A7QIVyhErCh2uNQ-TEAAYASAAEgKRC_D_BwE
Yes, I agree. People who have never had the opportunity to experience their iems or headphones without amplification, are missing out on the full capabilities of their transducers/iems/headphones/earbuds/speakers. A few don't scale up with more power, but most do, imho and from experience. That's why I always use an amp/ dac/amp with all the iems I own. Adding an amp/dac/amp unleashes more of the transducer's full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back