Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #4,816 of 6,129
If someone buys the Blon-01 for their phone and uses the stock cable and tips, with the unit variability, they may well be disappointed. Most will buy the Blon-01 to use on their phone and it's down to lady luck and enough power, whether they will be satisfactory. Whoever does a review of these for the public are committed to generally using the stock cable and tips, and have to review on the basis on the package people will buy. Here though, on Head-Fi, many like to upgrade or experiment a little with sources, cables, and tips to see how far an IEM can be improved. There may be an attitude that they only cost about $18.00, so what the point of spending treble that on a new cable and tips. For many of us here, and there are many, we have different sources, amplification, cables, tip and even mods, to get the best out of the Blon-01. For those of us who were lucky enough to get an 'as supposed to be unit', considering the many tales of 'unit variation', it is possible to raise these to fairly high levels of performance relative to their almost 'give away' cost. Having said that A/B ing with 'better' IEM's does show the limit of how far these can be taken, but for $18 these can be improved enough to put them in a rotation. They do have a unique sound.

See, I’m not so sure there are unit variables. I was able vary easily to make the BL-01 sound bad simply using and Ipod. Even with aftermarket cables and tips this IEM will sound cheap from a phone.
It is what it is.

For all we know every single BL-01 could be identical.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #4,817 of 6,129
If someone buys the Blon-01 for their phone and uses the stock cable and tips, with the unit variability, they may well be disappointed. Most will buy the Blon-01 to use on their phone and it's down to lady luck and enough power, whether they will be satisfactory. Whoever does a review of these for the public are committed to generally using the stock cable and tips, and have to review on the basis on the package people will buy. Here though, on Head-Fi, many like to upgrade or experiment a little with sources, cables, and tips to see how far an IEM can be improved. There may be an attitude that they only cost about $18.00, so what the point of spending treble that on a new cable and tips. For many of us here, and there are many, we have different sources, amplification, cables, tips and even mods, to get the best out of the Blon-01. For those of us who were lucky enough to get an 'as supposed to be unit', considering the many tales of 'unit variation', it is possible to raise these to fairly high levels of performance relative to their almost 'give away' cost. Having said that A/B ing with 'better' IEM's does show the limit of how far these can be taken, but for $18 these can be improved enough to put them in a rotation. They do have a unique sound.

I’m only one user. Meaning after a bunch of people verify my ideas or contest my ideas it’s up in the air.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #4,818 of 6,129
I am finding the BL-01 tip sensitive. Spiral Dots were not successful, and Spinfits did not suit. The best result so far is with the large tips which came with my Sony MH755. Smoother treble and tighter bass. I'm beginning to hear good things. I think a long burn in may be necessary to maximise the potential of these things!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #4,819 of 6,129
See, I’m not so sure there are unit variables. I was able vary easily to make the BL-01 sound bad simply using and Ipod. Even with aftermarket cables and tips this IEM will sound cheap from a phone.
It is what it is.

For all we know every single BL-01 could be identical.
I tend to believe people when they tell us what they hear. Their ear anatomy, their brain, their experience, their I like/I don't like. Of course many factors have to come together to get the best out of the Blon-01, that is clear. There will be a mixture of some people not putting together all the conditions necessary to get the top level out of the Blon-01, and some people who cannot get the best due to unit variation and QC. At $18.00 a high-level QC is not possible.....is it?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #4,820 of 6,129
I tend to believe people when they tell us what they hear. Their ear anatomy, their brain, their experience, their I like/I don't like. Of course many factors have to come together to get the best out of the Blon-01, that is clear. Their will be a mixture of some people not putting together all the conditions necessary to get the top level out of the Blon-01, and some people who cannot get the best due to unit variation and QC. At $18.00 a high level QC is not possible.....is it?

Well yes, it does seem that you get what you pay for as far as QC. Though at the same time (a layman’s) view is that this unit is very simple. It’s not like the watch workings of 5 BA drivers all with tubes and small filters and crossovers with lots of wires. I was simply more skeptical about the various impressions so far until I replicated them myself. There will be a style of theme at some point as to what the reality is. We of course know of the stories of QC as the tales, so the variations in units could of course be from that. What would be cool is for someone to try and measure the variations among 5 or so units and actually try and document imperfections in response. I mean that is a way right...... to determine if the frequency response is consistent among a random handful of BL-01s? The problem with my sighted tests is I already have a confirmation bias about what sound I will hear. So naturally the IPod sounds one way, the FiiO another the desktop another. At times I argue about the validity of frequency response graphs though in this case 5 graphs could show a random snapshot of consistency or lack there of.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #4,821 of 6,129
I tend to believe people when they tell us what they hear. Their ear anatomy, their brain, their experience, their I like/I don't like. Of course many factors have to come together to get the best out of the Blon-01, that is clear. Their will be a mixture of some people not putting together all the conditions necessary to get the top level out of the Blon-01, and some people who cannot get the best due to unit variation and QC. At $18.00 a high level QC is not possible.....is it?

But all I’m saying is that this IEM is an odd duck in that it has different responses upon how it’s powered. Meaning it changes more that most IEMs I have encountered. Also it seems to show the quality of different set-ups more than most IEMs. So if it truly turns out to need strong amplification to correct itself then the folks having bad luck would be reporting in that it sounds bad even with a set-up that seems adequate for other IEMs. My general ideas now are that it’s great IEM but needs to be catered too.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #4,822 of 6,129
Well yes, it does seem that you get what you pay for as far as QC. Though at the same time (a layman’s) view is that this unit is very simple. It’s not like the watch workings of 5 BA drivers all with tubes and small filters and crossovers with lots of wires. I was simply more skeptical about the various impressions so far until I replicated them myself. There will be a style of theme at some point as to what the reality is. We of course know of the stories of QC as the tales, so the variations in units could of course be from that. What would be cool is for someone to try and measure the variations among 5 or so units and actually try and document imperfections in response. I mean that is a way right...... to determine if the frequency response is consistent among a random handful of BL-01s? The problem with my sighted tests is I already have a confirmation bias about what sound I will hear. So naturally the IPod sounds one way, the FiiO another the desktop another. At times I argue about the validity of frequency response graphs though in this case 5 graphs could show a random snapshot of consistency or lack there of.

Cheers!
In the end most people will choose what they enjoy the most, their personal subjective factors, pleasure, enjoyment, emotions. I hear the Blon-01 sounding really enjoyable to me. We are all so different in our subjective tastes, that it's a never ending story. We are all so different yet exactly the same.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #4,823 of 6,129
In the end most people will choose what they enjoy the most, their personal subjective factors, pleasure, enjoyment, emotions. I hear the Blon-01 sounding really enjoyable to me. We are all so different in our subjective tastes, that it's a never ending story. We are all so different yet exactly the same.

Interesting this guy has the same ideas about power with the BL-01 as I.

Have not seen all his videos but he has two about the BL-01 I think?

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #4,824 of 6,129
Well I have just listened to Mozart Symphony No. 41, third movement, by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra conducted by Charles Mackerras, 88.2kHz 24-bit FLAC, on the BL-01. Xduoo X20 > silver cable > Fiio A5 amplifier > large Sony MH755 tips. Now that's more like it! Seems the 01 is very picky and needs a lot of experimentation to obtain a good result. They certainly need lots of juice!

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #4,825 of 6,129
Interesting this guy has the same ideas about power with the BL-01 as I.

Have not seen all his videos but he has two about the BL-01 I think?

I run the Blon-01 through a HiBy R5, 4.4 mm balanced with a TRi Through cable. I did try a pure copper Faaeal cable but there was a little bass bloom. I love the Blon 03, warts and all, and I love these Bon-01 which definitely like plenty of juice to sing. The bargain of the year?

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #4,826 of 6,129
Well I have just listened to Mozart Symphony No. 41, third movement, by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra conducted by Charles Mackerras, 88.2kHz 24-bit FLAC, on the BL-01. Xduoo X20 > silver cable > Fiio A5 amplifier > large Sony MH755 tips. Now that's more like it! Seems the 01 is very picky and needs a lot of experimentation to obtain a good result. They certainly need lots of juice!
Yup, silver cable will do the trick.

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #4,827 of 6,129
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #4,829 of 6,129
So silver cables make them brighter?
Through my experience, using silver-plated or pure silver cables tends to give me a more upper edge of vividness and cleaner treble with a more noticeable lower quick bass thump, while bright-colored copper cables gives the effect of a brighter midrange and more noticeable lower sub-bass rumble. Others may agree, or others may differ. So, please compare cables, since all units, cables, and earphones might have slight variation's in the sound, set-up, or outcome of ones own typical listening experience.

...I also noticed that silver cable drives my units slightly louder when compared to a same gauge bright-colored copper cables. That's why, for example, my BLON BL01 sounds more vivid and clearer and slightly louder with silver/silver-plated cables installed.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,830 of 6,129
For what it's worth my amp (an esynic cheap 40 quid jobby) is quieter than my phone, and clicks and turns off the 01 when it starts to distort, this is probably at around 80 percent of my phone volume. I'd say it sounds about 5 percent better. It can alledegly drive 400 ohm cans although I don't particularly like cans, and don't need to run them in parallel like a studio so I don't own any. The bass tightens up a smidgeon, and the treble is very slightly clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back