Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #4,846 of 6,129
Thatks for the reply.

Side question...do you find the cables without earhook do not keep the IeMs in your ears as well as ones without?

All my nice cables have no hooks seem to always fall out much easier and are less comfortable.

It’s the idiosyncrasies of the individual IEM. Meaning some IEMs are greatly held in place by earhooks, while others seem able to “sit” without help. Every IEM is a small fit story maybe? But I’m starting to like earhooks more.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #4,847 of 6,129
finally arrived! stock tips are still pretty bad, so just popped on MH755 tips (i have been using those with my BL03 as well), and reused the 03's stock cable since i already removed the ear guide on that cable already. that said, not sure if i'm just more used to the 03, but i find that the 03 fits my ears better. Anyway, 01 is pretty pleasant sounding out of the box to me just with the apple usb-c adapter connected to my mac mini (important to note since the adapter's output is severely limited when plugged into an android phone). I noticed that I had to push the volume up by about 5-7% to get similar volume output on the 01 vs the 03 though, but even then, 40% volume on my mac mini is already more than loud enough for the 01.

Anyway, i don't really have any complaints about how it sounds considering its price. for me i think that my 03 has a bit more treble & treble details based on some quick listen, but other than that pretty similar sounding overall. I did do the mesh mod on my 03 though (because i felt like it sounded a bit bloated in the lower mids previously), and it is over a year old now. :joy: This is just to my ears of course, so YMMV. Personally, i'm happy enough with it. :)

uidmW2n.jpg

qDj8qSU.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #4,848 of 6,129
The 03 compared to the 01 is my favourite from the WM1Z in balanced with a Kimber Cable. Also did the mesh mod on the 03.

After a while on the 01, I somehow always miss the for me very addictive 03 sound, it just does a bit more for me.

Maybe better synergies with the 1Z?

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #4,849 of 6,129
According to Crinacle, his BL-01 is more V shaped than his BL-03. Is he an outlier or is unit variation that big? Maybe fit has something to do with it since he uses stock everything?

And keep in mind his review source is the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, which is a $600 dac/amp capable of up to 4W, presumably in balanced mode. So I'd be pretty scared if the BL-01 is considered undrivable by a source that could potentially fry a Hifiman Susvara or at least driving it far louder than anyone should ever listen at.

Also. I wonder how the Apple USB-C dongle costs like $10 yet outperforms any smartphone short of flagship LG/Huawei Mate series. Smartphone makes, if any of you are reading this, I don't think audio conversion and amplification is a place to do the absolute minimum just to save a LITTLE battery life and presumably pennies as well.

... Reminds me of that EEVblog video about smoke sensors (Or were they IR? don't remember exactly) where apparently the sensors use about 7-10 times more power than it intended for their job, just to save about $0.80 per sensor.

I don't think we'd be in this situation if every smartphone performed at least as well as the Apple USB-C dongle. Or at least a very different, much better one.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #4,850 of 6,129
According to Crinacle, his BL-01 is more V shaped than his BL-03. Is he an outlier or is unit variation that big? Maybe fit has something to do with it since he uses stock everything?

the BL01 has a leaner sounding mids and mid bass, and a more extended and bigger subbass while the BL03 has a fatter and meatier mids, and also more focus on mid bass, so it is in a way more scooped in the middle and more V shaped sounding than the BL03

though some think it's controversial, i can get what @Redcarmoose was saying by comparing the BL01 to the IER Z1R. the BL01's tuning is good. it really imitates what "expensive tuning" would be. yes the drivers does show their limitations as apparent from the sound resolution, but at that price? it's still a remarkable feat.

it's not the attention grabber and more "head nodding" mood maker like the BL03, but it's a much more mature tuned of the two.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #4,851 of 6,129
the BL01 has a leaner sounding mids and mid bass, and a more extended and bigger subbass while the BL03 has a fatter and meatier mids, and also more focus on mid bass, so it is in a way more scooped in the middle and more V shaped sounding than the BL03

though some think it's controversial, i can get what @Redcarmoose was saying by comparing the BL01 to the IER Z1R. the BL01's tuning is good. it really imitates what "expensive tuning" would be. yes the drivers does show their limitations as apparent from the sound resolution, but at that price? it's still a remarkable feat.

it's not the attention grabber and more "head nodding" mood maker like the BL03, but it's a much more mature tuned of the two.

I’ve spent the day listening to the BL-01 only to now, after days of listening.........beginning to compare the BLON to a few TOTL IEMs I own. In general Chinese budget IEMs have always done a couple things great but were never “wholesome” natural well-rounders with grocery bags of abilities to have them go against mainstream $1600-$2000 TOTL flagships. Maybe in some ways stuff hasn’t changed? Typically when new gear shows up (regardless of price) there is this mental thrill. Maybe it’s like a new or exciting food or something? After a while the dust settles.....reality then takes hold, and you get a more realistic idea of what’s going on quality wise. Everyone wants a $2000 flagship for $20. If and when that becomes a reality people will collect cases of them. But until that happens there is always speculation. Will my personal ideas towards this IEM change in 90 days? Sure maybe? But if I simply waited, and everyone waited then there would be no talk of a potentially great IEM, and folks would lose out on it.

To me this is more about curiosity. Meaning I’m more fascinated at the progression of quality and the art of making things that sound good but cost less. Here especially due to this style of DD zinc alloy build.........the BLON seems new and fairly simple; having less parts. I have no idea of the research and development BLON put into the BL-01........but to study it shows a novelty in design. There is also a novelty in sound quality. This game is about small increases and incremental increases in technology over years.

I’m at the end of my investigation of the BL01. But I’m glad I was on Head-Fi as I would never have thought to go to an SPC cable to adjust tone. My process is simple and not unique. We find new gear and try and use old experience to judge it. As it seems, many times there can be parallel ideas in build methods as well as similar sound signatures across different price points.

Typically success in IEM music enjoyment is a two fold progress. One is attempting to use all the support (amps......cables and tips) to “tune” the IEM the best you can and try to dial in the sound to a desired place. The second challenge is all mental. The second challenge is simply finding if you can train your mind to forget about the replay and be left only with concentration on music.

Still when something like the BL-01 comes, that’s difficult to do. Difficult as as listeners we are getting used to a new sound signature. That sound signature may remind us of other IEMs, but in truth it’s still different as well as no IEM is perfect. Part of what happens with time is you slowly move from the honeymoon phase to the daily life phase. In the daily life phase the opposite ideas are more important that what’s in the honeymoon phase. Stuff needs to be almost unnoticeable and get out of the way, letting music occur. In the honeymoon phase it’s the provocative excitement of new sounds that’s the entertainment.

My goal this week was to write a review and learn to make the BLON sound the best for what it is. There is still a new toy phenomenon even when the product is $23. At times more so because it may be easer to make $700 sound good?

As part of the community my efforts are only to voice my opinions even if they are half-baked. It’s a $23 IEM, and this process of discovery is pretty much the same as even getting an expensive new IEM. In most areas of this hobby I’m actually retired. I simply don’t need anything. But I would love for really good budget and mid-fi gear to become accessible to everyone. I’m pretty sure we are a year away from $500 TOTL flagships that could be endgame for most. The companies that make them will profit due to pure numbers of units sold.

Is the $23 BL-01 that unit......... no but it’s a signpost to the inevitable reality of that taking place sooner rather than later. In ending I find the BL-01 to be really unique with certain music. Meaning in it’s own weird way it’s the best “Flagship” I own for certain albums. No songs.....it does whole albums in a unique way. As an IEM it’s critical of amps and cables, tips and music. It’s slightly cranky at times if you feed it wrong. But at the same time it delivers a majestic and special experience.

The excitement now is learning what others will come up with as technique to bring the BLON improvements. :) it’s been a fun ride!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #4,852 of 6,129
I’ve spent the day listening to the BL-01 only to now, after days of listening tried to compare to the humble collection of few TOTL IEMs I own. In general Chinese budget IEMs have always done a couple things great but were never “wholesome” natural well-rounders with grocery bags of abilities to have them go against mainstream $1600-$2000 TOTL flagships. Maybe in some ways stuff hasn’t changed? Typically when new gear shows up (regardless of price) there is this mental thrill. Maybe it’s like a new or exciting food or something. After a while the dust settles. Reality then takes hold and you get a more realistic idea of what’s going on, quality wise. Everyone wants a $2000 flagship for $20. If and when that becomes a reality people will collect cases of them. But until that happens there is always speculation. Will my personal ideas towards this IEM change in 90 days? Sure maybe? But if I simply waited, and everyone waited then there would be no talk of a potentially great IEM, and folks would lose out on it.

To me this is more about curiosity. Meaning I’m more fascinated at the progression of quality and the art of making things that sound good but cost less. Here especially due to this style of DD zinc alloy build.........the BLON seems new and fairly simple; having less parts. I have no idea of the research and development BLON put into the BL-01........but to study it shows a novelty in design. There is also a novelty in sound quality. This game is about small increases and incremental increases in technology over years.

I’m at the end of my investigation of the BL01. But I’m glad I was on Head-Fi as I would never have thought to go to an SPC cable to adjust tone. My process is simple and not unique. We find new gear and try and use old experience to judge it. As it seems, many times there can be parallel ideas in build methods as well as similar sound signatures across different price points.

Typically success in IEM music enjoyment is a two fold progress. One is attempting to use all the support to “tune” the IEM the best you can and try to dial in the sound to a desired place. The second challenge is all mental. The second challenge is simply finding if you can train your mind to forget about the replay and be left only with concentration on music.

Still when something like the BL-01 comes, that’s difficult to do. Difficult as as listeners we are getting used to a new sound signature. That sound signature may remind us of other IEMs, but in truth it’s still different as well as no IEM is perfect. Part of what happens with time is you slowly move from the honeymoon phase to the daily life phase. In the daily life phase the opposite ideas are more important that what’s in the honeymoon phase. Stuff needs to be almost unnoticeable and get out of the way, letting music occur. In the honeymoon phase it’s the provocative excitement of new sounds that’s the entertainment.

My goal this week was to write a review and learn to make the BLON sound the best for what it is. There is still a new toy phenomenon even when the product is $23. At times more so because it may be easer to make $700 sound good?

As part of the community my efforts are only to voice my opinions even if they are half-baked. It’s a $23 IEM, and this process of discovery is pretty much the same as even getting an expensive new IEM. In most areas of this hobby I’m actually retired. I simply don’t need anything. But I would love for really good budget and mid-fi gear to become accessible to everyone. I’m pretty sure we are a year away from $500 TOTL flagships that could be endgame for most. The companies that make them will profit due to pure numbers of units sold.

Is the $23 BL-01 that unit......... no but it’s a signpost to the inevitable reality of that taking place sooner rather than later. In ending I find the BL-01 to be really unique with certain music. Meaning in it’s own weird way it’s the best “Flagship” I own for certain albums. No songs.....it does whole albums in a unique way. As an IEM it’s critical of amps and cables, tips and music. It’s slightly cranky at times if you feed it wrong. But at the same time it delivers a majestic and special experience.

The excitement now is learning what others will come up with as technique to bring the BLON improvements. :) it’s been a fun ride!

Cheers!
Very whole hearted comment. Like you I have a very good version of this, 'cheap as chips' iem. It just sounds good. Sounds great with a pure Silver Litz cable and a TRi Through SPC cable. Thank you for great comments.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #4,853 of 6,129
Everyone wants a $2000 flagship for $20. If and when that becomes a reality people will collect cases of them. But until that happens there is always speculation. Will my personal ideas towards this IEM change in 90 days? Sure maybe? But if I simply waited, and everyone waited then there would be no talk of a potentially great IEM, and folks would lose out on it.

yup, i think it all comes down to expectations. i for one see the BL01 (and anything for that matter) as is.. if i like it, i like it. but some people might not take consideration on why i like it, and whether my scenario would match up to their's

I'm just grateful that these days we can get nicely tuned IEMs at a fairly low price. sure there's no one earphones that would suit everyone, but then again, these days we're also blessed with options.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #4,854 of 6,129

I think this is accurate, from my 2 days of listening.

It's deliberately a more 'mature' tuning than the BL-03, something a much more expensive IEM would have. However, it lacks the resolution to keep up with a much more expensive IEM. So you are getting something tuned like a $1,600 IEM for $16, but grainier / more lo-fi.

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #4,855 of 6,129
Battle of the BLONs!
The BL-01 having improved greatly after 50 hours burn in, I have been evaluating the three models, BL-01, BL-03 and BL-05S. It has been very interesting. The test was carried out using an Xduoo X20 DAP, line out, with a Fiio A5 amplifier.

BL-03 (purple version)
TRN 16 core SPC, Spiral Dots (L)
The 03 displayed a warm overall profile with reasonable sub bass and a prominent mid bass with some bleed. The mids were recessed but possessed a natural timbre and were very easy to listen to. Lower mids were coloured by the bass influence and this did lead to some veiling of detail. Upper mids were slightly brighter and the presence region could have done with a bit more bite. The treble was gentle and somewhat lacking in detail with soft transients and rolled off fairly early. Soundstage was average in all three dimensions and a little more "air" would have been welcome.

BL-01
Silver cable, Sony MH755 tips (L)
Like the 03, the 01's lower region was focused on the mid bass but was less prominent than the former model. Sub bass showed some rumble but lacked texture and transient attack. The mid bass did not bleed into the mids as much as the 03 but there was still an influence and it did dominate on most material. The mids were pushed forward compared to the earlier model and this gave the impression of less depth. The lower mids once more could have been crisper, but the tonality became brighter through this region and the presence area displayed some welcome "life". The timbre was more balanced than the 03 with a bit more brightness and detail. Treble was more extended than the 03 and again more detailed but there was an occasional lack of refinement. Transients were faster and more engaging. Soundstage improved on the 03 with more width and height but the depth suffered during complex passages, becoming "flatter" in perspective.

BL-05S
Hifi Hear 16 core hybrid cable, Spiral Dots (L)
The 05S's bass was more focused on the sub bass which showed good texture and extension with good speed. There was more immediacy here and the mid bass was more linear, which freed up the lower mids and led to a more open presentation. Mids were very natural in perspective, not as forward as the 01 but not recessed and were detailed with good separation and imaging. The tonality and timbre were not as soft or "analogue" as the 03, but were clean, precise and more consistent than the 01. The treble took over in a natural progression where the mids left off with a gradual climb to the mid treble and good extension and detail and a good deal of "air". Soundstage was very expansive with superb width, excellent depth which was maintained in busy tracks, and a good depiction of height.

Note
A major factor in these findings was the fit achieved with the BL-05S which was snug and secure. I found it difficult to get such a secure fit with the 01 and 03 because of the shiny surfaces offering little grip, the very short nozzles and the unusual weight distribution which led to insecurity.

Bearing this in mind, my vote goes to the BL-05S in first place, followed by the BL-01 and then the BL-03, although all three have their merits.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #4,856 of 6,129

Cheers!

Whoever makes that iem can they please please make it small and with lots of isolation....

Do the blons really have to be so big to achieve their sound when lots of dd iems just have the housing wrapped tightly around the driver and a nozzle directly after?

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4,857 of 6,129
Got my BL01 today and my first impression was WOW...
...how the hell did they manage to make an IEM with even worse fit than BL03? Who are those short nozzles are for?

Hours later after some tip rolling:
BL01 is much brighter than BL03, has less warmth and the boomy bass is gone. Also BL01 is more power hungry and need more rotations of the volume knob to play on the same volume as BL03.
After going through some songs I find the tonality of BL03 to be more likable, so BL01 is more like a downgrade to BL03 in my eyes.

I have to agree with you, initially I was excited that the 01 were being reported as having better fit. I thought they would from the shape. But listening for a few days between the 01 and 03 I actually prefer the 03. I do agree a slightly longer nozzle Would have been preferred but I feel like the 01 is bulkier, heavier and fits worse in my ears. Now everyone is different so your mileage will vary.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #4,858 of 6,129
I have to agree with you, initially I was excited that the 01 were being reported as having better fit. I thought they would from the shape. But listening for a few days between the 01 and 03 I actually prefer the 03. I do agree a slightly longer nozzle Would have been preferred but I feel like the 01 is bulkier, heavier and fits worse in my ears. Now everyone is different so your mileage will vary.
Fit still is a problem , using large stock tips fixed that for me so far

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #4,859 of 6,129
Battle of the BLONs!
The BL-01 having improved greatly after 50 hours burn in, I have been evaluating the three models, BL-01, BL-03 and BL-05S. It has been very interesting. The test was carried out using an Xduoo X20 DAP, line out, with a Fiio A5 amplifier.

BL-03 (purple version)
TRN 16 core SPC, Spiral Dots (L)
The 03 displayed a warm overall profile with reasonable sub bass and a prominent mid bass with some bleed. The mids were recessed but possessed a natural timbre and were very easy to listen to. Lower mids were coloured by the bass influence and this did lead to some veiling of detail. Upper mids were slightly brighter and the presence region could have done with a bit more bite. The treble was gentle and somewhat lacking in detail with soft transients and rolled off fairly early. Soundstage was average in all three dimensions and a little more "air" would have been welcome.

BL-01
Silver cable, Sony MH755 tips (L)
Like the 03, the 01's lower region was focused on the mid bass but was less prominent than the former model. Sub bass showed some rumble but lacked texture and transient attack. The mid bass did not bleed into the mids as much as the 03 but there was still an influence and it did dominate on most material. The mids were pushed forward compared to the earlier model and this gave the impression of less depth. The lower mids once more could have been crisper, but the tonality became brighter through this region and the presence area displayed some welcome "life". The timbre was more balanced than the 03 with a bit more brightness and detail. Treble was more extended than the 03 and again more detailed but there was an occasional lack of refinement. Transients were faster and more engaging. Soundstage improved on the 03 with more width and height but the depth suffered during complex passages, becoming "flatter" in perspective.

BL-05S
Hifi Hear 16 core hybrid cable, Spiral Dots (L)
The 05S's bass was more focused on the sub bass which showed good texture and extension with good speed. There was more immediacy here and the mid bass was more linear, which freed up the lower mids and led to a more open presentation. Mids were very natural in perspective, not as forward as the 01 but not recessed and were detailed with good separation and imaging. The tonality and timbre were not as soft or "analogue" as the 03, but were clean, precise and more consistent than the 01. The treble took over in a natural progression where the mids left off with a gradual climb to the mid treble and good extension and detail and a good deal of "air". Soundstage was very expansive with superb width, excellent depth which was maintained in busy tracks, and a good depiction of height.

Note
A major factor in these findings was the fit achieved with the BL-05S which was snug and secure. I found it difficult to get such a secure fit with the 01 and 03 because of the shiny surfaces offering little grip, the very short nozzles and the unusual weight distribution which led to insecurity.

Bearing this in mind, my vote goes to the BL-05S in first place, followed by the BL-01 and then the BL-03, although all three have their merits.

Oddly I find the BL01 to fit better than either of the others, it's the first one I could get a seal with using stock tips!

I have to say I agree on the order of 05S, 01, 03 too, I find the 01 to be a lower resolution, less detailed version of the 05S' tuning but with a bit more extension to top and bottom. The separation of the 05S is just sublime though. I hesitate to use the word "endgame" but the 05S is more to my taste even than my shiny new Tin P1.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #4,860 of 6,129
Oddly I find the BL01 to fit better than either of the others, it's the first one I could get a seal with using stock tips!

I have to say I agree on the order of 05S, 01, 03 too, I find the 01 to be a lower resolution, less detailed version of the 05S' tuning but with a bit more extension to top and bottom. The separation of the 05S is just sublime though. I hesitate to use the word "endgame" but the 05S is more to my taste even than my shiny new Tin P1.
Yes, the BL-05s is really good and a very nice fit as well. I love the colour too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back