Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #4,786 of 6,129
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #4,787 of 6,129
I have just read the @Redcarmoose review of the BL-01. Based on my experience so far I would definitely say there is unit variation with this model. I have more burn in to come but I can't see mine improving to that standard! For me BL-05s is the best BLON by far.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #4,788 of 6,129
I have just read the @Redcarmoose review of the BL-01. Based on my experience so far I would definitely say there is unit variation with this model. I have more burn in to come but I can't see mine improving to that standard! For me BL-05s is the best BLON by far.

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000340444755.html
Using 4.4mm and this single album, the BLON BL-01 is the only IEM I would ever need? The BL-01 is the only IEM I’ve been using for days even though owning stuff priced 100X more?

Anyway it’s with the Walkman 1A in direct mode, region changed to “J” with the Rockbox tool. Using MrWalkman DMP-Z1 emulation MK2. Dunu L blue tips, 4.4mm above linked cable.

44.1 at 16bit album quality. 100 hours burn-in.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #4,789 of 6,129
One thing that's certain for me, from the images in the thread, and my own BL-01, is that the shell build quality is phenomenal for the price.

I got mine at 11.11 price of about $17, and it's a shaped metal shell with the name and L/R direction engraved in the earpiece, nozzles are well-defined and with a lip to prevent the tips from getting loose. It's bright and shiny and came clean-looking and without flaws.

The 2-pin connector works without issue, there is no difficulty on insertion, and the cable attaches firmly and deeply.

To get something like this at this price was almost unthinkable even two years ago, although something like the ED9 probably offered a similar BQ/dollar ratio.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #4,790 of 6,129
As mentioned the riddle here revolves around many convoluted and varied ideas.
1) burn-in
2) mental burn-in
3) tips
4) music
5) cable
6) sound signature goals
7) device power and sound character the BLON is ultimately hooked to :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #4,791 of 6,129
After only a day of listening, I have some limited impressions, some pluses and minuses:

Plus

+naturalistic, mature tuning. Better balanced than BL-03

+faster than BL-03, keeps up easier

+less bass bleed / bloat

+balanced soundscape, instead of a few types of instruments dominating over others [usually]

+pretty inoffensive, painless sound if using the right tips [few peaks - treble 'gray noise' might become an issue, like TV-static type sounds]

+vocals are pretty clear

+it has the speed, percussion, and bass extension required for metal

----

Minus

-lack detail compared to more expensive [$40+] sets

-lacks BL-03's 'enveloping' sound, the magical bass

-thin treble high-end

-separation not very impressive

-soundscape feels kind of compressed, lacks airiness

-vocals are more likely to be submerged than with a CCA C10/16 or even maybe a KBear Lark

-overall sound may be considered flat / dull compared with more 'colourful' IEMs, at least for pop/rock/jazz [melodic genres]

It's less of a vinyl/analog grandma's radio than the BL-03, leaning more towards neutral/balanced/fast for a different use pattern.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #4,792 of 6,129
Though you may like to see what's inside a BL01. Many empty space for sure.
WeChat 圖片_20201209120226.jpgWeChat 圖片_20201209120233.jpg

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #4,793 of 6,129
Don't know how much time you've had on yours, but I can also confirm that the 01 needs some hours to open them up. And even though they are specced at 16 ohms and 102 db, they actually require more power than the BL03 which is 32 ohms @ 102 db. Amping is a must. Once you get some good tips and some power, the 01 becomes a much better set.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #4,794 of 6,129
Though you may like to see what's inside a BL01. Many empty space for sure.

Thanks for dissecting it. Probably the empty space chamber does contribute to resonances and the overall sound of the BLON BL01.

Don't know how much time you've had on yours, but I can also confirm that the 01 needs some hours to open them up. And even though they are specced at 16 ohms and 102 db, they actually require more power than the BL03 which is 32 ohms @ 102 db. Amping is a must. Once you get some good tips and some power, the 01 becomes a much better set.

Ya based on specs it does look like BLON BL01 needs amping. But then again we discussed this a few days ago, does it make economical sense to pair a more expensive amp with a budget set like the BL01 (which can go at $16ish USD)?

I mean if we have the amp available already, by all means amping will definitely let is scale much better. But at the budget segment this set is releasing into, I have a feeling a lot of folks will just be using phones or lower powered dongles with it? It would be a different story if someone told me I needed to amp the Final Audio E5000 and KBEAR BElieve, those are midfi gear and the clientiele for that segment will most probably have an amp or two.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #4,795 of 6,129
Thanks for dissecting it. Probably the empty space chamber does contribute to resonances and the overall sound of the BLON BL01.

Ya based on specs it does look like BLON BL01 needs amping. But then again we discussed this a few days ago, does it make economical sense to pair a more expensive amp with a budget set like the BL01 (which can go at $16ish USD)?

I mean if we have the amp available already, by all means amping will definitely let is scale much better. But at the budget segment this set is releasing into, I have a feeling a lot of folks will just be using phones or lower powered dongles with it? It would be a different story if someone told me I needed to amp the Final Audio E5000 and KBEAR BElieve, those are midfi gear and the clientiele for that segment will most probably have an amp or two.
Yeah, man...I can't argue with that. Chances are, someone who is looking for a great sounding sub $20 iem, isn't looking to spend extra money on even a budget dac/amp dongle to bring these puppies to life. On the other hand, as an audio enthusiast, I feel it's my duty to show people how good something like the 01, 03, ZS10 PRO, KPE, etc CAN sound; with some decent amplification and a dac that's better than than what's in their smartphone. I recently had the chance to show a friend how much better their headphones could sound, by letting him plug his set into my Fiio Q1MK2. I don't remember the model number, but they were a Sennheiser 5 series. He was using them from his Samsung tablet and he thought they sounded good. I let him plug into my Q1MK2, out of 3.5mm unbalanced output and he was floored by the improvement. This guy, btw, is a bass guitar player who has been in many bands that I've had the opportunity to check out his gigs. My point is, in the grand scheme of things; you can get many headphones or iems to scale up with a bit of power.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #4,796 of 6,129

I would say that each individual should consider their situation special. Meaning many phones are powerful. But in my history at Head-Fi, amping issues have been a giant source of confusion with people not understanding a product. The Sony XBA-Z5 needed juice to “wake-up”....the IER-Z1R becomes a different animal. The Sony MDR-Z1R, though easy to drive....moved to a whole different place after power was added, same as the MDR-Z1R.

There are already YouTube videos with enthusiasts explaining the BLON BL-01 needing power to come alive. They are the same people warning others not to spent more money on silver cables first for the $23 BLON BL-01. They are then telling their own story about finding more power to fix the issues and create an understanding as to what the BLON is at the end. So take note, if you don’t have power, getting an aftermarket cable will not cure the issue, especially from a phone.

Myself I simply switched to a 4.4mm cable and never looked back. I already know from experience how to note, that if I have to go to high gain on my devices and also push the volume high, then... yes, the IEM IS difficult to drive. I never tried it off a phone, but I don’t need to, I know the story. You will read the story here from here on out numerous times of how people are reaching success.

People will need to use their desktop amps if they don’t have a DAP and only a lower power output phone. It is what it is. You can’t really say that they shouldn’t release an IEM for $23 that needs power. I mean wouldn’t you think people would want a capable IEM for $23 regardless of how you had to drive it?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #4,797 of 6,129
I would say that each individual should consider their situation special. Meaning many phones are powerful. But in my history at Head-Fi, amping issues have been a giant source of confusion with people not understanding a product. The Sony XBA-Z5 needed juice to “wake-up”....the IER-Z1R becomes a different animal. The Sony MDR-Z1R, though easy to drive....moved to a whole different place after power was added, same as the MDR-Z1R.

There are already YouTube videos with enthusiasts explaining the BLON BL-01 needing power to come alive. They are the same people warning others not to spent more money on silver cables first for the $23 BLON BL-01. They are then telling their own story about finding more power to fix the issues and create an understanding as to what the BLON is at the end. So take note, if you don’t have power, getting an aftermarket cable will not cure the issue, especially from a phone.

Myself I simply switched to a 4.4mm cable and never looked back. I already know from experience how to note, that if I have to go to high gain on my devices and also push the volume high, then... yes, the IEM IS difficult to drive. I never tried it off a phone, but I don’t need to, I know the story. You will read the story here from here on out numerous times of how people are reaching success.

People will need to use their desktop amps if they don’t have a DAP and only a lower power output phone. It is what it is. You can’t really say that they shouldn’t release an IEM for $23 that needs power. I mean wouldn’t you think people would want a capable IEM for $23 regardless of how you had to drive it?

I will be getting the BLON BL01 in a few days time and I definitely appreciate all the input from the early adopters about the BLON BL01 needing power to scale better. So for sure I'll use an amp with it when it comes. I read a survey a few months back (have to find the link) that almost 80 - 90% of people use IEMs with a smartphone only (and not the LGV type smartphones). Us folks that use DAP/DAC/AMPs here are actually the minority. I do amp all my gear if they use dynamic drivers or planars (maybe less scaling is noted with multi BA types), once u have heard what a good amp can do, it is quite hard to unhear that. I also think sources give more returns than buying cables (sorry to cable believers).

The pity though is that a lot of folks buying gear at the budget segment truly don't use amps and may end up underpowering the BLON BL01 and will walk away thinking it is a crap set. If I had a friend entering the hobby and is looking at the $20 segment to start this audio journey, I would probably recommend him to get a less power hungry set that sounds very good with a smartphone, rather than telling him that "Look here, this is only 50% of the actual sound u will get now with your phone. U need to get a $100 DAP or amp to unlock the other 50%". Beginners will get scared of this money sink!

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #4,798 of 6,129
I will be getting the BLON BL01 in a few days time and I definitely appreciate all the input from the early adopters about the BLON BL01 needing power to scale better. So for sure I'll use an amp with it when it comes. I read a survey a few months back (have to find the link) that almost 80 - 90% of people use IEMs with a smartphone only (and not the LGV type smartphones). Us folks that use DAP/DAC/AMPs here are actually the minority. I do amp all my gear if they use dynamic drivers or planars (maybe less scaling is noted with multi BA types), once u have heard what a good amp can do, it is quite hard to unhear that. I also think sources give more returns than buying cables (sorry to cable believers).

The pity though is that a lot of folks buying gear at the budget segment truly don't use amps and may end up underpowering the BLON BL01 and will walk away thinking it is a crap set. If I had a friend entering the hobby and is looking at the $20 segment to start this audio journey, I would probably recommend him to get a less power hungry set that sounds very good with a smartphone, rather than telling him that "Look here, this is only 50% of the actual sound u will get now with your phone. U need to get a $100 DAP or amp to unlock the other 50%". Beginners will get scared of this money sink!

Is the Fiio uBTR good enough to drive these? I'm actually quite new to this hobby and I happened to get the Blon Bl01's since they we're recommended to me. ( are they actually supposed to sound screechy at the high's or is it a Unit Variance thing? ) you could also say i'm one of guys running these through my phone lol. also, may I ask what tips you use these with? the stock tips fit but i'm not sure if they are "correctly sealed". Thanks!

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #4,799 of 6,129
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/baskingshark.516219/
It’s a precarious event. Many believe the Sony XBA-Z5 was a failure due to people making judgments back in 2014 from using it un-amped. People, same as today have/had no clue IEMs would be depending on juice to fix issues. :)

And while the whole process is understood as damping factor with full-size headphones, I’m not sure what it would be called in IEM use? I’m not an electrical engineer. But what’s wild are the parallels in sound. Meaning under amped IEMs and under amped full size can result in most of the same artifacts in use. Obviously pure BA IEMs do not have these issues normally.

Amping adds soundstage
Amping adds PRaT
Amping removes cloudy and foggy lower midrange pace
Amping improves soundstage imaging definition
Amping can improve clarity
Amping adds realism and correct timbre

So that’s what I’ve found by listening, though of course I’ve never tried to under amp the BL-01. I simply already realize what these DD artifacts are from over the years and other IEM and full-size use. With full-size headphones it’s basically the power ability to control the movement of the driver. A common difficult to drive full-size is the 1996 AKG k701. I made the mistake in 1996 of buying a low power Woo Audio 3 and tried to get new k701s for it. It was an exercise in futility. Back then I started to realize the ingredient of power and what happens when a headphone is under powered. I’ve never read an engineer come on Head-Fi and explain how the damping factor in full-size is exactly related to trying to get success with big DD IEMs?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #4,800 of 6,129
Is the Fiio uBTR good enough to drive these? I'm actually quite new to this hobby and I happened to get the Blon Bl01's since they we're recommended to me. ( are they actually supposed to sound screechy at the high's or is it a Unit Variance thing? ) you could also say i'm one of guys running these through my phone lol. also, may I ask what tips you use these with? the stock tips fit but i'm not sure if they are "correctly sealed". Thanks!

Not sure friend, I haven't got my set yet, should be arriving from Aliexpress in the next few days I hope. Will try some sources and tips with it then.
I hope our other esteemed friends who have the BL-01 can help advise u though.

Generally if u can hear the bass well, it means u have a good seal. bass is the first to be lost in a poor seal as such.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back