Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #826 of 6,129
Don't worry. These waters are always muddy.
"they sound good." shoulda stopped there. Or at least spent more than 15 minutes with them before I waxed poetic.

Oh also my opinion on the stock cable has also changed. I tried some of my nicer MMCX cables and I think I'll stick to one of them instead. Surely an upgrade over the BL-03 cable but still worth changing out. :v:

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #827 of 6,129
For wearing down I used a cable with no angle... just a straight connector.

You have attached them to the correct ear pieces. As for the angle I think it would depend on which way is more comfortable.. .as long as they are the same. Can you do a phase check to make sure it is ok? The first thing I do with any earphone is check the phase... well.. and that both earpieces work:)

When you attached the connector (2 pronged thing), did you check or care about which way the connector was facing when you attached the earbuds? In other words, is there a "wrong" way to attach it with this type of connector, or does it not matter which way you do it?

I'll try to do a phase check.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #828 of 6,129
When you attached the connector (2 pronged thing), did you check or care about which way the connector was facing when you attached the earbuds? In other words, is there a "wrong" way to attach it with this type of connector, or does it not matter which way you do it?

I'll try to do a phase check.

the positive pin has to be connected to the positive side of the connector on both pieces.... Like when you wire speakers. Otherwise the sound will be out of phase. For me the easiest way to check the sound is using a binaural recording. the stage will close right up... everything will be in or near your head. There are also various online tests and videos but those can bemore difficult for me.

Assuming that the pair was in phase when you got it...some are internally wired incorrectly from the start or the connector has been put in wrong way around... the fact that you have the bend in the cable should mean that if those are bending the same way it should be ok. Cables with straight connectors usually have a small dot near the pins to which pin is positve... or negative

If it is out of phase you have to turn the pins around on ONE side.

Also you can check here (this link is at the bottom of Slater's signature.)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1194#post-13516067

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #829 of 6,129
the fact that you have the bend in the cable should mean that if those are bending the same way it should be ok.

OK, thanks, that makes perfect sense to me. What was throwing me is that they sounded the same no matter which way I alligned them - with both bending the same way, be it front or back.

So anyway, I'm clearly no professional audiophile, but I've used a lot of different headphones over the years, cheap and expensive. I own Sennheiser HD600 and Etymotic ER4XR, both are great and far better than others I've tried. And I'd like to say to this forum, yeah, these BLON 03 earphones really are super. The hype is accurate, great sound. I'll definitely be using them... they are far, far better than others I've tried anywhere near this price and maybe they're even comparable to the other 2 I own.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #830 of 6,129
OK, thanks, that makes perfect sense to me. What was throwing me is that they sounded the same no matter which way I alligned them - with both bending the same way, be it front or back.

Technically someone could point out that one of those ways... I don't know if it is bending front or if it is bending back (because I am not sure which of those ways is the way it would be with the ear hooks) would be in phase and the other way would be iinverted phase. With tiny little iem drivers it has been said that no one would be able the hear a difference .. but of course some golden eared person will come in and say they can,. maybe with speakers someone can hear a difference.

You could see if you can hear a difference between having them point back or front.

Some things I found online explaining phase

In simple terms, the speaker cones should go in and out together. If the phase is reversed on one speaker, then one cone will go in while the other goes out. This can result in certain sound waves cancelling each other out, and/or giving a sort of "difuse" sound.

When polarity is wrong, the speakers will be out of phase. One will move in, while the other moves out. At the listening position (right in between the speakers) the displaced air from one will be cancelled out by the other. This effect - stronger at lower frequencies - will result in a loss of bass.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #831 of 6,129
You could see if you can hear a difference between having them point back or front.

Thanks for all the info. So, I did the polarity test listed at the bottom of Slater's sig (thanks, Slater). To me it sounds identical when they are both pointing forward, or both pointing backwards. In phase the music sounds more present and solid. Out of phase it's more... echooey. And I assume that's how it should sound in both cases...? (sorry for the incorrect jargon) .

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #832 of 6,129
Thanks for all the info. So, I did the polarity test listed at the bottom of Slater's sig (thanks, Slater). To me it sounds identical when they are both pointing forward, or both pointing backwards. In phase the music sounds more present and solid. Out of phase it's more... echooey. And I assume that's how it should sound in both cases...? (sorry for the incorrect jargon) .

sounds like all is well.

I have a question. Does the bend in that cable connector bother you when you are wearing them down?

I never removed the memory thing in my stock cable. I just happened to have a spare balanced cable here with straight 2 pin connectors so I used that. You probably saw the photo. It was not very expensive (only a few dollars on aliexpress)... only 4 core but I like light weight cables when wearing down. I enjoy earbuds and some of those have mmcx connectors (one, the Rose Masya has 2 pin). I have chosen 4 or 6 core cables for some of them.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #833 of 6,129
sounds like all is well.

I have a question. Does the bend in that cable connector bother you when you are wearing them down?

I never removed the memory thing in my stock cable. I just happened to have a spare balanced cable here with straight 2 pin connectors so I used that. You probably saw the photo. It was not very expensive (only a few dollars on aliexpress)... only 4 core but I like light weight cables when wearing down. I enjoy earbuds and some of those have mmcx connectors (one, the Rose Masya has 2 pin). I have chosen 4 or 6 core cables for some of them.

It doesnt bother me, the bend is slight and so its no big deal. I kind of like it as it angles the wires back a little. And the sound is really good.

I was looking for "the dot" on the BLON buds, and I couldnt find any dots! Do they have dots? I'll try to use a balanced cable soon, it does not have a bend. I can see the dots on the cable but not the BLON. I used a magnifying glass and still couldnt find the dots!

Another question. My cable is 8 core, with a 2.5mm plug so I know it will fit in the balanced socket of my DAP. It has silver plated wire. Is an 8 core cable with 2.5mm plug definitely "balanced", or not necessarily? (I dont think this is relevant, but it had an ear guide that I removed).

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #834 of 6,129
was looking for "the dot" on the BLON buds, and I couldnt find any dots!

dots are on the cables near the pins on certain aftermarket ones. you just have to put those dots in the correct orientation on the earpieces. If you aren't sure.. just do what you think is right and then do the phase test. If you did it wrong just turn it around on one side only.

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #835 of 6,129
Another question. My cable is 8 core, with a 2.5mm plug so I know it will fit in the balanced socket of my DAP. It has silver plated wire. Is an 8 core cable with 2.5mm plug definitely "balanced", or not necessarily? I really wish I could ask about it directly but its from a manufacturer thats apparently banned here. (I dont think this is relevant, but it had an ear guide that I removed).

if it is balanced the plug will be 4 pole rather than the usual three pole. You will see the additional ring when you compare them (as long as your regular 3.5mm single ended cable does not have a mic)

In this photo the 2.5 and the 4.4 are balanced.

HTB1lg6oXODxK1RjSsphq6zHrpXah.jpg

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #836 of 6,129
dots are on the cables near the pins on certain aftermarket ones. you just have to put those dots in the correct orientation on the earpieces. If you aren't sure.. just do what you think is right and then do the phase test. If you did it wrong just turn it around on one side only.

Ah I see, so there are no dots on the BLONs... just the cable? I had thought the idea was to line up the dots.

Thanks for the info about the balanced cable and the photo. I think, based on what you said, that my cable is balanced... but to be sure would you be kind enough to take a look at this and confirm? It's a 2.5mm plug... it looks like your 2.5. Is this definitely balanced?
C7F2B67E-8433-4C90-BCAC-9B5C20ECD30B.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #837 of 6,129
warning - i'm just an amateur audio enthusiast. Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Here's an unboxing & mini-review of the BLON cardinal -

Bought the cardinal on taobao for 474 RMB, which is roughly $68 USD. Purchased on 11/7, arrived on 11/10. So short delivery time for me, though I live in Beijing, so it's to be expected. It does appear that there's not so many in stock however. Blue jay seems to be sold out everywhere. Anyway, on to the mini-review.

the packaging -
3591WGs.jpg

BLON - natural is natural

ZmHQ1sc.jpg

BLON - presenting hifi to burn music

uMZd2my.jpg

Clearly way better packaging than the BL-03. Nice set of tips, a 6.5mm to 3.5mm jack, and a little pelican case with the cable inside.

Close-up of the actual IEMs -
AtgC3mj.jpg

M31piC3.jpg

BLON Audition - says nothing about cardinal on it. Wonder if this is a newer revision???

PUSmUqT.jpg

somewhat better view of the driver. It's quite large but there's still a fair amount of empty space inside.

UYQIc0q.jpg

no mesh in the nozzle like the BL-03.

cl7HsFm.jpg

fitted with the stock cable & stock large silicon tips. BL-03 beside it with AZLA sedna silicon tips & stock cable for reference (my personal fav tips to pair with the BL-03)

Once I fit the tips I was eager to try it on. I could tell it would fit better than the BL-03, but I wasn't prepared just for HOW WELL it was going to fit. Even with the stock silicones, I instantly got a perfect seal and comfortable fit, with 0 finagling.
cyC9FQ6.jpg

So now it's time to listen. I first listened to the BL-03 again to establish a baseline. My source is a LG V30. I have a reference track that shines very well with the BL-03s, and that's a track by "Hot Chip" called "Love is the Answer" from the album "Why Make Sense?" in 24-bit flac. People say electronic music is not a good match for the BL-03s and I generally agree. However, indy-ish music sounds fantastic, as it's very vocal-driven, mixes in instruments such as bass/piano/etc, and doesn't have "too much going on". Also Hot Chip albums are particularly well-mastered. Anyway, it of course blows me away with the BL-03. What stands out to me is the very prominent lower mid-bass, natural timbre, and forward, natural sounding vocals that are produced as well as any IEM I own, including my 8-BA T800s. Then I switched the to the cardinals. I could immediately notice a difference. It wasn't dramatic, but it was there. The soundstage was more open and airy, but the vocals recessed a bit. Still had a nice textured lower mid-bass, but not as much impact as the BL-03, and the recessed vocals it didn't quite wow me as much as the BL-03. Still, it sounded very good, and I had a hard time telling it apart from the BL-03. The tuning sounded very similar, just the presentation was slightly different.
So wanting to do a more apples-to-apples comparison, I swapped the stock silicon tips with the AZLA sednas.

aZ0xIcZ.jpg

After listening again with "higher quality" eartips, the magic was back. The lower mid-range was just as impactful as the BL-03, the timbre of the instruments, the vocals all sounded wonderful as the BL-03. With one slight difference - the sound-stage is wider and more airy. What a nice surprise. I would describe the BL-03 as more intimate, especially with vocals. Whereas I'd describe the cardinal's as more open and airy, but just as impactful. Again, the tuning is similar. I would bet money it's the exact same driver, tuned exactly the same. I would assume the only difference in sound is due to the shape of the body.

So to sum things up, if you were hoping to for a BL-03 in a more ergonomic body with better isolation, and better stock packaging, the cardinal absolutely delivers. It does double the price, but so what? To me the fit alone justifies the cost, as the biggest con to the BL-03 by far is the wonky fit issues. If I can fault it in any way, it's that the stock tips don't truly bring out the best in it (but how often is that the case anyway), and the sound-stage is less intimate in exchange for being more open and airy, which may or may not be to everyone's tastes. But again the differences are slight. You feel like you're still listening to the BLON BL-03, just slightly re-imagined. Sooo do I recommend these? HELL YES. I will rock these now in place of the BL-03. The fit is fantastic, the stock cable is great, and it's still got that hyped up BL-03 tuning, which presents sound in just a slightly different manner.

Seeing as these are quite rare and hard to acquire, I'd grab one now before they blow up and get even harder to find!!

Thanks! Now I need one, my ears just hate metal-shells. Out of curiosity, can you spot some similarity between the drivers?

Someone x-rayed the BL-03:
20191107_213142.jpg
Can you count 8 vent-holes on the driver and spot a similar "aperture"?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #838 of 6,129
Ah I see, so there are no dots on the BLONs... just the cable? I had thought the idea was to line up the dots.

Thanks for the info about the balanced cable and the photo. I think, based on what you said, that my cable is balanced... but to be sure would you be kind enough to take a look at this and confirm? It's a 2.5mm plug... it looks like your 2.5. Is this definitely balanced?

If there is no mic on the cable then yes that one is balanced. Balanced just means the the left and right ground wire are kept separate all the way to the plug.... so there is that extra ring for soldering those wires separately to the plug. In a regular 3.5 single ended cable, the ground wires are combined at the splitter and soldered together at the plug. This is why there is no adapter that can magically turn single ended into balanced. But of course you can get an adapter to use your balanced cable with a regular single ended source. 2.5mm female to 3.5mm single ended.

I think I recognize that cable:) Between my husband and myself there are so many cables here.

... as for the dots on the cable those are to indicate which pins are positive so that you do line them up correctly.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #839 of 6,129
Thanks! Now I need one, my ears just hate metal-shells. Out of curiosity, can you spot some similarity on the driver?

Someone x-rayed the BL-03:

Can you count 8 vent-holes on the driver and a similar "aperture"?

I thought x-rays didn’t penetrate metal objects? How did the X-rays get through the metal shell to show the driver? Very interesting...

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #840 of 6,129
warning - i'm just an amateur audio enthusiast. Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Here's an unboxing & mini-review of the BLON cardinal -

Bought the cardinal on taobao for 474 RMB, which is roughly $68 USD. Purchased on 11/7, arrived on 11/10. So short delivery time for me, though I live in Beijing, so it's to be expected. It does appear that there's not so many in stock however. Blue jay seems to be sold out everywhere. Anyway, on to the mini-review.

the packaging -
3591WGs.jpg

BLON - natural is natural

ZmHQ1sc.jpg

BLON - presenting hifi to burn music

uMZd2my.jpg

Clearly way better packaging than the BL-03. Nice set of tips, a 6.5mm to 3.5mm jack, and a little pelican case with the cable inside.

Close-up of the actual IEMs -
AtgC3mj.jpg

M31piC3.jpg

BLON Audition - says nothing about cardinal on it. Wonder if this is a newer revision???

PUSmUqT.jpg

somewhat better view of the driver. It's quite large but there's still a fair amount of empty space inside.

UYQIc0q.jpg

no mesh in the nozzle like the BL-03.

cl7HsFm.jpg

fitted with the stock cable & stock large silicon tips. BL-03 beside it with AZLA sedna silicon tips & stock cable for reference (my personal fav tips to pair with the BL-03)

Once I fit the tips I was eager to try it on. I could tell it would fit better than the BL-03, but I wasn't prepared just for HOW WELL it was going to fit. Even with the stock silicones, I instantly got a perfect seal and comfortable fit, with 0 finagling.
cyC9FQ6.jpg

So now it's time to listen. I first listened to the BL-03 again to establish a baseline. My source is a LG V30. I have a reference track that shines very well with the BL-03s, and that's a track by "Hot Chip" called "Love is the Answer" from the album "Why Make Sense?" in 24-bit flac. People say electronic music is not a good match for the BL-03s and I generally agree. However, indy-ish music sounds fantastic, as it's very vocal-driven, mixes in instruments such as bass/piano/etc, and doesn't have "too much going on". Also Hot Chip albums are particularly well-mastered. Anyway, it of course blows me away with the BL-03. What stands out to me is the very prominent lower mid-bass, natural timbre, and forward, natural sounding vocals that are produced as well as any IEM I own, including my 8-BA T800s. Then I switched the to the cardinals. I could immediately notice a difference. It wasn't dramatic, but it was there. The soundstage was more open and airy, but the vocals recessed a bit. Still had a nice textured lower mid-bass, but not as much impact as the BL-03, and the recessed vocals it didn't quite wow me as much as the BL-03. Still, it sounded very good, and I had a hard time telling it apart from the BL-03. The tuning sounded very similar, just the presentation was slightly different.
So wanting to do a more apples-to-apples comparison, I swapped the stock silicon tips with the AZLA sednas.

aZ0xIcZ.jpg

After listening again with "higher quality" eartips, the magic was back. The lower mid-range was just as impactful as the BL-03, the timbre of the instruments, the vocals all sounded wonderful as the BL-03. With one slight difference - the sound-stage is wider and more airy. What a nice surprise. I would describe the BL-03 as more intimate, especially with vocals. Whereas I'd describe the cardinal's as more open and airy, but just as impactful. Again, the tuning is similar. I would bet money it's the exact same driver, tuned exactly the same. I would assume the only difference in sound is due to the shape of the body.

So to sum things up, if you were hoping to for a BL-03 in a more ergonomic body with better isolation, and better stock packaging, the cardinal absolutely delivers. It does double the price, but so what? To me the fit alone justifies the cost, as the biggest con to the BL-03 by far is the wonky fit issues. If I can fault it in any way, it's that the stock tips don't truly bring out the best in it (but how often is that the case anyway), and the sound-stage is less intimate in exchange for being more open and airy, which may or may not be to everyone's tastes. But again the differences are slight. You feel like you're still listening to the BLON BL-03, just slightly re-imagined. Sooo do I recommend these? HELL YES. I will rock these now in place of the BL-03. The fit is fantastic, the stock cable is great, and it's still got that hyped up BL-03 tuning, which presents sound in just a slightly different manner.

Seeing as these are quite rare and hard to acquire, I'd grab one now before they blow up and get even harder to find!!

Goddammit I was right, well no regrets. I bet that the Cardinals are airier/wider due to the positioning and distance of the drivers, I think the hollow cavity helps out too, but will mess with the resonance a bit. I wonder how it handles really hard-on bass? The package is waaaay better than expected too. Is there any driver flex though? I can see that the filterless nozzle could be a potential problem to either lazy people or those with constantly wet earwaxes

I kind am regretting that I didn't trust my instincts to jump on the train, but oh well, I only had around 70 bucks to splurge in 11/11 and I got the SHP9500 instead (I know, ancient) for the exact same price sellers are selling the Cardinals here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back