Bit of a Dilemma
Nov 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Swazidoughman

Head-Fier
Okay, so I recently sold my SRH440, and because of that, I'm interested in getting new pair of headphones, so this is a suggestions thread.
If it helps for suggestions, I also own the K601, and I'm really enjoying the AKG sound.
I'm looking to get something in the $100-200 range.
Portability isn't a high priority, and must be easily driven.
I listen to everything ranging from Berlin School to Zeuhl, so I'm not looking for something that does a certain type of music very well.
What has interested me so far has been.
K240s
T50RP
Roland RH-300

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 8
I like the resolution and airiness of the K601, I guess the only things I really dislike about the K601 is that is has to be hooked up to an amp, and it's not in any way portable.
I'm looking for something mobile, open or closed is fine, but I would prefer open.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't know a lot about the 601's but the 240's are probably just as big. I own the MKII w/o an amp and i would say that they are pretty quiet so IT IS POSSIBLE to use them for portability but your gonna have to crank up the volume twice as high. They also have a slightly loose fit on the head so any rapid movements are a no-no.

That's all i can say as i have never owned a pair of 601's, so i have nothing to compare to. 
tongue_smile.gif

hope that was useful.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm thinking grados if you are into details and clarity.  you're not going to find a portable headphone that has an airy sound, because it takes a large enclosure to get that sound.  The K271 has a very similar sound to the K5/6/701 series and they are closed, and can be driven by an ipod, but they're not small by any means.

Maybe since you are getting a second pair of headphones you might want a different sound?  I don't personally like having different sounds, all my headphones are an attempt at the same sound.  But many people like it. 

But grados are open, portable, easy to drive, and are clear and detailed while having a different sound to the 601.  As long as you don't mind a bit of treble emphasis, which you probably don't if you like the 601.  Try the MS1i that's a great phone

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 8
I second the Grados.

They are hard to beat for clarity, and details.

I was A-B ing my Shure 840's and Grado RS2 last night listening to the Miles Davis Legacy Edition of "Kind of Blue", and Herbie Hancox "Imagine",  and as nice as the Shure 840's are-- the Grado were so much more revailing! The brushes sweeping the cymbals, the vocals on "Imagine", as well as other instrumental details were so much more refined, and clear with the Grado's.

If you can get the money together go for the RS series (used) , otherwise get out and audtion the Grado line and find one in you budget.

Joseph

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Tried some grados today actually, the SR125i and SR325i.
The SR125i sounded like garbage, the SR325i sounded fantastic.
While a do like the 325i, it's out of my price range, and they're just not comfortable.
Really considering the K271 though.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
The SR125i sounded like garbage, the SR325i sounded fantastic.

A lot of that will come down to the difference in pads. See if you can arrange to try a 125i with the bowl pads (L-cush), or try a 225i which comes with them stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back