Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Feb 7, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #3,196 of 4,278
After the "Gold regulator", the Bijou by Coffin !
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #3,197 of 4,278
Nice work, Coffin. And some neat personal touches for components as well. Very cool!

I plan on finally starting mine next week. Step 1: Initial purchases: trafo, stepped attenuator. Step 2: case design and layout...eek...

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3,198 of 4,278
The second chanell is finished
rolleyes.gif
It's sound very, very good with pcm2702 dac.
But there is some problems - its needed to mute the output when u turn off(and turn on of course) the amp, there is not loud but hearable "shot". Also, i hear such "shots"(but more loud) when my old fridge turns on or off.. I know what to do with first problem, bit with the last.. What kind of AC filter should i use?[size=xx-small] Ohh.. No, i cant just throw away the frige(([/size]
It's time to think about the case..

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #3,199 of 4,278
Nice work gentlemen! Good to see the Bijou's rolling on in. ^ Sorry to hear about your noise issue, I'll have to leave that for some of the great talent we have around here.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #3,200 of 4,278
Well, after more issues, setbacks and surprises than I'd care to enumerate, my Bijou is finally done. The case was designed, built and finished by me. I had a lot of help from my friend Dennis at O&M Engineering, who plasma cut some of the holes on the plate and welded and fly-cut my top plate after I accidentally converted a blind hole into a through hole. Naturally, as I was doing the wiring, I noted several improvements I could have made to the layout, but fortunately I do not hear hum or hiss. Live and learn!

Features
-Regal Mods
-410µF photoflash Rubycons for C5
-1µF Obbligato Golds for C6
-10µF Solen Polypropylene for C1
-Alps RK40 Attenuator
-Shielded signal wiring

I'll need a lot more listening time before I comment on the sound, but suffice to say I am very pleased. I hear what people mean when they describe the sound as alive, vibrant and lush.

Here's the last rendering I had done of the design:

Bijou_1.jpg

And here's how it came out:

BijouFinal017.jpg

BijouFinal013.jpg

BijouSun005.jpg

2-11-2010014.jpg

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3,201 of 4,278
Awesome Bijou mate, glad to hear that you got it working after such a long time in development. Don't think I've ever seen the 1/4" jack before, it fits in really well!

I'll be waiting for opinions with your 650's
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #3,204 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadBoys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome Bijou mate, glad to hear that you got it working after such a long time in development. Don't think I've ever seen the 1/4" jack before, it fits in really well!

I'll be waiting for opinions with your 650's
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! That headphone jack is a 'deep panel stereo' headphone jack, and I would heartily recommend that all my DIY brothers and sisters avoid these (at least the gold-plated ones, can't speak for the nickel-plated Neutriks). I tried two types, one off-brand and one Switchcraft. The off-brand shorts the right channel to ground (meaning that the right channel tab is bent in the wrong place - all three pieces I tried had the same problem) and the Switchcraft had intermittent contact on the left channel because it allowed the plug to insert too deep into the jack. The off-brand was not repairable, but the Switchcraft was usable after I glued a gold washer to the front that shimmed the plug the correct amount.

That is just ONE of the many adventures I had in building my Bijou. I hope that no other builder has stumbled so hard on such an irrelevant part as the headphone jack.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #3,206 of 4,278
The Glass Jar Kit has everything you need for the PSU - you only need to buy hardware and the transformer (assuming you're building according to the stock BOM).

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #3,207 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Glass Jar Kit has everything you need for the PSU - you only need to buy hardware and the transformer (assuming you're building according to the stock BOM).

Yeah I wasn't awake when posting this! I meant the transformer, struggling to find sources in the UK.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #3,209 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy an Rcore from ebay, cheapest method i could find in he uk.

Just looking now, I'm slightly confused as to which one I'd need though! Any help would be greatly apreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back