Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #3,166 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolotube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650's (300 ohms) sing beautifully with my Bijou, K701's (62 ohms) are, at best, ordinary. As noted by regal, the latter work better on the SOHA II but don't capture the magic of the Senns, at least not to my ears.

I personally thought the bijou complemented my K701s nicely though I was using them with more negative feedback than with other higher impedance phones.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #3,167 of 4,278
Quote:

SOHA II [doesn't] capture the magic of the Senns, at least not to my ears.

Interesting. I think I'd agree based on listening to orthos and Senns on pabbi1's SOHA II.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #3,168 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally thought the bijou complemented my K701s nicely though I was using them with more negative feedback than with other higher impedance phones.

Perhaps I should qualify my comment - I'm not using any NFB on my Bijou, since I use the 650's virtually 100% of the time. In any event, I prefer the less analytical sound of the Senns to the forwardness of the AKG's, regardless of what's driving them. 701's would likely benefit from NFB with the Bijou.

I've ordered an EHHA kit from Jeff Rossel so it will be interesting to compare & contrast all three in due course.

pabbi, are the 800's as good as they are reported & reputed to be ie. significantly better than the 650's?? Do you think they are worth twice the price?

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #3,169 of 4,278
Can someone check something for me please.

The MOSFET's IRF820B are now obsolete. The FQP4N50_Q's are available.
Alex's BOM says: "•Q1, Q2 are TO220AB package, SDG pinout orientation"
On checking the device's datasheet, looking at the front (from left to right) the device is shown as GDS.
Does the BOM orient it from the rear or the front?

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #3,170 of 4,278
Quote:

Perhaps I should qualify my comment - I'm not using any NFB on my Bijou, since I use the 650's virtually 100% of the time. In any event, I prefer the less analytical sound of the Senns to the forwardness of the AKG's, regardless of what's driving them. 701's would likely benefit from NFB with the Bijou.

I've ordered an EHHA kit from Jeff Rossel so it will be interesting to compare & contrast all three in due course.

pabbi, are the 800's as good as they are reported & reputed to be ie. significantly better than the 650's?? Do you think they are worth twice the price?

No question - I sold my hd600 and hd650 within a week of getting the hd800. Even though I love the balanced Bijou with the hd800, I am trying a push-pull topology with them as well. But, nothing will ever have the full hall sound stage the Bijou creates.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #3,171 of 4,278
I have finally completed the casework on my Bijou. I tried many times and could not get a decent shot without the blue illumination around the front panel border washing out.

More pictures found here.

jar_0176.jpg

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #3,173 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine too... hd600, hd650 and hd800.

I do indeed - just ping me with an address.

Pabbi1

I thought I'd sent you a PM but it doesn't seem to be in my sent items.

Did you get it?

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3,175 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKToecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone check something for me please.

The MOSFET's IRF820B are now obsolete. The FQP4N50_Q's are available.
Alex's BOM says: "•Q1, Q2 are TO220AB package, SDG pinout orientation"
On checking the device's datasheet, looking at the front (from left to right) the device is shown as GDS.
Does the BOM orient it from the rear or the front?

GDS is from the front. The gate should match up with the dot on the device and the dot on the silk screen. Therefore the FQP4N50's should be installed just as the silk screen indicates.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #3,176 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GDS is from the front. The gate should match up with the dot on the device and the dot on the silk screen. Therefore the FQP4N50's should be installed just as the silk screen indicates.

Thanks TimJo.

That'll do for me

:)

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #3,177 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKToecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pabbi1

I thought I'd sent you a PM but it doesn't seem to be in my sent items.

Did you get it?

Got both actually, and actually replied to one... :)

Box secured, and I'll do customs forms tonight. Too bad the APC doesn't do Intl.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #3,178 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got both actually, and actually replied to one... :)

Box secured, and I'll do customs forms tonight. Too bad the APC doesn't do Intl.

Pabbi,

You're a diamond.

Let me know who, how and how much.

:)

Andy

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #3,179 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have finally completed the casework on my Bijou.

Wow, this amp really inspires some awesome casework! I can't keep track of all the amazing Bijous!

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #3,180 of 4,278
It's difficult to believe it has taken one year to complete the build.
redface.gif
The greatest amount of time was spent finishing the case work with the majority of the delays attributed to fabrication errors by Par-Metal (even with 8 pages of detailed CAD drawings). In any event I am pleased to have a finished product. Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back