Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Feb 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #3,214 of 4,278
Sorry about all the questions, but will this complicate the build when using the glassjar kit?

My knowledge of transformers and wiring them will have to improve before I build this I know, but on looking at this thread at comments about the R-Cores they kind of give the impression I would have to approach the circuit slightly differently. Or am I just over complicating things?

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #3,215 of 4,278
Rcore is slightly more complex as you need to parallel the heater windings. You can do that with a multimeter though.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #3,217 of 4,278
if you have all the tubes well exposed (so reverse mount components, and on the psu board us a socket riser) then you may get away with it.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #3,218 of 4,278
I'm looking at the Goldpoint MiniV stepped attenuator for my Bijou. Stereo MiniV (with SMD) or standard MiniV with through-hole? I seem to remember reading pabbi's impression that the through-hole version was a tick better...

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #3,219 of 4,278
This might be a newb question, but does stepped attenuator really offers that much advantage over a pot such as ALPS RK27? is the cost difference truly justified here? Personally, I'd skim on the cost and go with something like this, but I'm not really sure if the lower cost implies lower construction quality. :s

BTW, Adamus, I remember you posted a heater suppply that had R9 attached to a balanced ground, (one similar to the amphead mod) along with a ground loop breaker after that. (Sorry, can't find the image. But I'm sure you know what I'm taking about
smily_headphones1.gif
) What is the advantage of such a circuit over the amphead mod's heater supply?

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #3,220 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does stepped attenuator really offers that much advantage over a pot such as ALPS RK27? is the cost difference truly justified here?

Actually, yes. There has been some discussion earlier in the thread about your very comparison. For me, I'm going to press on and try one. I just want a few impressions about the two currently-available goldpoint units!

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #3,221 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at the Goldpoint MiniV stepped attenuator for my Bijou. Stereo MiniV (with SMD) or standard MiniV with through-hole? I seem to remember reading pabbi's impression that the through-hole version was a tick better...

Thanks!

I decided to use the MiniV/SMD and at times I wish I had built the custom version. On some albums I prefer an listening level that is in between steps. I never turn the volume greater than 1/3rd and I could of tweaked the values for finer control up to mid scale. (I didn't feel like messing with changing the SMD resistors.)

Another alternative is the DACT CT-2. Justin at headamp.com has a 50K stereo for a good price.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #3,222 of 4,278
Thanks, balderon. Interesting notes. The resistor listing (I assume) for the miniV is at http://www.goldpt.com/r_series.html. So for the 24-step listing, the first half of the dB values are:
off 9 6 5 4 3 2 2 2, ...
So would you like that list to be closer to
off 9 6 5 2 2 2 2 2... ?

Or, are you wishing for even finer control in the middle? Maybe 9 7 5 2 1 1 1 1 2 2 2... ?

Good point. Maybe the custom might allow a bit of fiddling.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #3,223 of 4,278
Hi all,

I have just ordered the kit for the Bijou from Glass Jar Audio, and have a couple of questions.

I have read most of this thread, but some of the information and links are/may be a little outdated.

What transformer would be suitable for use in the UK?

What cases are there which are particularly suitable? Any good hifi2000s?

I want to have the tubes sticking out the top; as far as I am aware, this is simply a matter of mounting the tubes on the back of the pcb so that components face down and tubes stick up? And then the board is lifted from the ground with big spacers?

Thanks for your help
Olli

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #3,224 of 4,278
transformers -

either the rcore mentioned throughout, or order a customer from airlink transformers, they are very cheap.

cases - hifi2000 galaxy

tubes showing - mount tubes on top with components below (amp boards) PS is more difficult. I used a socket saver (like a tube riser) to level the ez81.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #3,225 of 4,278
I found the website with the transformers you mentioned, but would you be able to point out the precise one which is suitable? I don't trust myself enough to pick the correct one!

And also with the case, what width/height/depth would be best?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions; it's just that it will be cheaper if I get these things right first time round!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back