Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Sep 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2,866 of 4,278
Following up on my previous post about tubes, I finally was finally lucky enough to get Bugle boys on ebay for cheaper than the Orange Globes (euro/dollar exchange also helps
tongue.gif
)

My impression is that the Orange Globes have a larger spectrum and sound somewhat tighter, while the Bugle boys have a round finish and noticeably adds "air", setting a wide and natural soundstage.
Classical and accoustic music already sounded gorgeous with Bijou+K701. With the Boys, it makes the experience totally live!

Both are very musical pair of tubes, providing detailed and balanced sound, each with its personnality, although not totally dissimilar

Two very good options, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proutch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Just sharing my recent experience with the Bijou: I replaced the ECC8 with vintage Orange Globe Amperex tubes made in Holland.
And I must say the improvement is drastic! Sound is much cleaner, more transparent, slightly tighter, still sweet and full.

In case you're still running the stock tubes, this is clearly worth the investment!

I must say I had a hard time to chosse between Orange globes and Bugle boy. The latter get so much positive comments, including in this thread. At the same time, they look slightly overpriced because of their reputation and Orange Globes were made in the same factory, and should sound very similar.

This being said I'd be very curious to compare my Orange Globes with Bugle boys...
Has anyone had a chance to do so?

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2,867 of 4,278
Interesting results Proutch. One thing I noticed about my Bijou immediately, even with ordinary 6dj8s, was the feeling of being in a live hall. I get the same sense nearly every time I listen to it.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #2,868 of 4,278
try bugle boys alex, there is definately some magic with the bijou.

amzing sense of space and image: bugle boy 6dj8
most natural sound: 8416 (only if you have mess with ps wiring, 12.6 heaters).

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2,869 of 4,278
I'm a bit late to the party but I've finally wired up my bijou (all stock parts). It really is something else and has revealed a completely new side to my ATH-AD900s! I regret not completing it a bit sooner as I've been busy with Uni and all for the past year and a half.

This is my first amp build and previously I have been driving my AD900s off a X-Fi Prelude. I now know that a sound card doesn't do justice for these cans - I've noticed that switching to the Bijou has unlocked the lower end, widened the soundstage and the high end rolloff is no longer there. I'm now considering a pair of K702s but don't know how much I will like them. Quite happy with bijou+AD900 already!

I'll get back in about a week when I have this baby inside a chassis
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #2,870 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Proutch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Following up on my previous post about tubes, I finally was finally lucky enough to get Bugle boys on ebay for cheaper than the Orange Globes (euro/dollar exchange also helps
tongue.gif
)

My impression is that the Orange Globes have a larger spectrum and sound somewhat tighter, while the Bugle boys have a round finish and noticeably adds "air", setting a wide and natural soundstage.
Classical and accoustic music already sounded gorgeous with Bijou+K701. With the Boys, it makes the experience totally live!

Both are very musical pair of tubes, providing detailed and balanced sound, each with its personnality, although not totally dissimilar

Two very good options, anyway.

I prefer the orange globes, but the bugle boys are nice if you get good ones. Most of the bugle boys I found on Ebay were near death. My only gripe with the amp is that the tubes are so expensive so you can't leave it on all the time. I am envious of those who have modded to the 12V Amperex's which are cheaper and give much more bang for the buck vs. the 6V amperex's.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #2,871 of 4,278
I'm finally wiring up my Bijou and I'm seeing something unexpected for the power supply test.

When I put a 100k resistor across the B+ terminals, I cannot for the life of me get the resistance between the terminals to actually read 100k. It usually reads about 30M initially and steadily climbs down but never really settles. Normally I'd attribute this to the meter but this is the only instance of it behaving this way; if I disconnect one of the legs with the meter still attached, it will instantly read 100k.

I have screwed the resistor into the terminal block in multiple configurations and the resistor is now soldered in - I don't think I have an intermittent connection.

Anyone else run into anything like this?

Update: So, after an incredibly stupid wiring error (I managed to hook up the PS board to the transformer in precisely the opposite sequence that I was supposed to - terminal block was mounted on bottom of the board blah blah blah) C7 provided some spectacular fireworks. R10 appears to be intact, despite the fact that I calculated around 1W dissipation in the relatively short time it was powered on. Everything passes visual inspection, and I don't see any reason that the regulators would have gotten whacked. Alex (or anyone else) is there any other part I should ensure is still working before making my order for replacement parts? In particular, I'm concerned that I hooked up 260VAC to the heaters of the EZ81 - would you expect that rectifier to be toast?

This was also my first time blowing up a capacitor (hard to believe) so I'm a bit sheepish right now...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #2,872 of 4,278
LOL. Sorry. But I've had my share of these fireworks. Things like this just happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's really hard to say what might have toasted because of this. If you wired up exactly opposite then you would have put 240VAC across the EZ81 heater. Probably a goner, but you can measure the resistance to see if you even have continuity or whether the heater is an open circuit. If it's not open it might still work.

The bigger problem is that you also would have put 240VAC onto the ground traces and this is where it's hard to know.

However, if nothing but C7 exploded I'd just buy extra mosfets and zeners. Everything else has probably survived.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #2,873 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cellsplicer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit late to the party but I've finally wired up my bijou (all stock parts). It really is something else and has revealed a completely new side to my ATH-AD900s! I regret not completing it a bit sooner as I've been busy with Uni and all for the past year and a half.

This is my first amp build and previously I have been driving my AD900s off a X-Fi Prelude. I now know that a sound card doesn't do justice for these cans - I've noticed that switching to the Bijou has unlocked the lower end, widened the soundstage and the high end rolloff is no longer there. I'm now considering a pair of K702s but don't know how much I will like them. Quite happy with bijou+AD900 already!

I'll get back in about a week when I have this baby inside a chassis
wink_face.gif

Cellsplicer, good to hear another Bijou has come alive. The Bijou has a kind of of tube beauty to its sound. I still love to listen to it. And my proto is not as good as your amp.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #2,874 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Sorry. But I've had my share of these fireworks. Things like this just happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's really hard to say what might have toasted because of this. If you wired up exactly opposite then you would have put 240VAC across the EZ81 heater. Probably a goner, but you can measure the resistance to see if you even have continuity or whether the heater is an open circuit. If it's not open it might still work.

The bigger problem is that you also would have put 240VAC onto the ground traces and this is where it's hard to know.

However, if nothing but C7 exploded I'd just buy extra mosfets and zeners. Everything else has probably survived.

Thanks Alex. I do recognize that blowing up caps is a rite of passage - I'd just prided myself on building for years without such an incident. Oh well, no more of that for me!
beerchug.gif

I measured just shy of 1Ω between the EZ81 heater pins - the same reading as the extra EZ81 that wasn't the victim of my wiring. It looks like I got lucky on this one.

Oh well, time to send Mouser some more of my money...it's been a few weeks; they're probably getting worried.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2,875 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh well, time to send Mouser some more of my money...it's been a few weeks; they're probably getting worried.
biggrin.gif

I sent Mouser around $30 after I blew up the mosfets on my Bijou. Of course, I had to buy multiples because I knew that Murphy's law would have struck if I just bought exactly as many as I needed. The Bijou is all aces now! Now, back to chassis work...
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2,876 of 4,278
Hello All,

I just wanted to say a quick "Thank You" to Alex for an absolutely fabulous design! I was able to turn my Bijou on for the first time last night and was truly amazed. I don't have a golden ear or anything, but this is one of the best amplifiers I have ever heard. I would also like to add it is dead quiet, another thing that is is pretty hard to find on other designs. Now to finish up a few consmetic issues....

Thanks again!

beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2,877 of 4,278
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Thanks!!! Glad you like it.

After a few hours or running you might test the B+ and reset it to 250V. But be careful so you don't short anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #2,878 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try bugle boys alex, there is definately some magic with the bijou.

amzing sense of space and image: bugle boy 6dj8
most natural sound: 8416 (only if you have mess with ps wiring, 12.6 heaters).

Agree completely. I've tried 6922, 6H30, 6N1P, etc but IMO nothing provides the space, air & soundstage of the Bugle Boys. The sound is amazing. I got mine from pcx; as far as I can tell they are unused, NOS in perfect condition, dated 1962 in generic white box.
BTW, 6N6P's worked well. B+ dropped from 250 to 248.7 but could easily be adjusted back up using the trimpot. Everything ran a bit hotter indicating a higher current draw. Still prefer the ECC99/Bugle Boy combo in my Bijou. Nothing comes close.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #2,879 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolotube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still prefer the ECC99/Bugle Boy combo in my Bijou. Nothing comes close.

I have the same combo as your setup. I have often considered rolling to 6N6P's. Can you elaborate on why you prefer the ECC99?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back