Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jul 14, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #2,776 of 4,278
Same for me. I was working at fisrt on the Mauro Penasa's My Ref Rev C (speaker chipamp) and I got more involved on the Bijou than my current project. The tubes are soooo appealing. Getting my Chipamp done today then I'll be able to get back to that beauty.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2,777 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by breizheau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. and will work again on the balanced Bijou. I received wires from Navship and have almost finished to populate the PCB....
wink.gif
The 2 customized irons are at home, i just have to find time !
ksc75smile.gif

But after reading all the post, i can't wait to listen to it....
L3000.gif

git r done guys
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #2,779 of 4,278
My Bijou has been disassembled for a couple weeks to add my latest (and hopefully) final round of upgrades. I didn't realize the physical size of the Mundorf MKP caps when I originally developed the case. Unfortunately I'll have to redo most of the case to gain the 1/2 inch needed to fit these monsters under the covers. I am pondering what can I build next and reuse my old case!
biggrin.gif

I am looking forward to the day I can once again listen to this great amp.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #2,780 of 4,278
balderon,
the Mundorfs are worth every penny. i'm only using 150uF/channel, but w/HD650 i find the bass to be perfect.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #2,781 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
balderon,
the Mundorfs are worth every penny. i'm only using 150uF/channel, but w/HD650 i find the bass to be perfect.

fishski13, I am anxious to get humpty dumpty back together again! Did you experience any changes or improvements in SQ after initial powerup/burnin?

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #2,782 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fishski13, I am anxious to get humpty dumpty back together again! Did you experience any changes or improvements in SQ after initial powerup/burnin?

i maybe have 50 hrs or so on the caps - i haven't detected any burn-in.

with the Mundorfs, music sounds "tighter" and more focused. dynamics are a little more obvious, with a cleaner, leaner, punchier bass (note: i'm only using 150uF). trebles and transients are a little sharper as well.

i love the pairing with the HD650. with the K701, if i had to choose between the 150uF film and the 470uF 'lytics, i'd go back to the 'lytics. the mids and trebles are wonderful, but zero bass. i need to decide if i want to lay out cash for more Mundorfs. right now, i have an M3 that suits the K701 nicely. i'm also antsy to build a preamp/B22 and a bridged Nelson Pass F5 i've been slowly accumulating parts for over the last 3 months.

i'm also playing around with wire with the Bijou. i just recently added a PEC pot to my M3 and hardwired in some old Chord Co. wire, with no input RCA jacks and plugs at the amp - pot or hardwiring, i don't know - but it was nice improvement. i much prefer my Jupiter solid silver/cotton wire and Furutech rhodium plugs with the Bijou over the decent copper i have lying around. i'm going to hardwire some 1m silver wire to the SA in the Bijou as well. but first...

i'm soldering Regal's Mod this weekend. i'll have a whole week off of work to get some relaxing HP time in, and check out a couple of new albums.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #2,783 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i maybe have 50 hrs or so on the caps - i haven't detected any burn-in.

with the Mundorfs, music sounds "tighter" and more focused. dynamics are a little more obvious, with a cleaner, leaner, punchier bass (note: i'm only using 150uF). trebles and transients are a little sharper as well.

i love the pairing with the HD650. with the K701, if i had to choose between the 150uF film and the 470uF 'lytics, i'd go back to the 'lytics. the mids and trebles are wonderful, but zero bass. i need to decide if i want to lay out cash for more Mundorfs. right now, i have an M3 that suits the K701 nicely. i'm also antsy to build a preamp/B22 and a bridged Nelson Pass F5 i've been slowly accumulating parts for over the last 3 months.

i'm also playing around with wire with the Bijou. i just recently added a PEC pot to my M3 and hardwired in some old Chord Co. wire, with no input RCA jacks and plugs at the amp - pot or hardwiring, i don't know - but it was nice improvement. i much prefer my Jupiter solid silver/cotton wire and Furutech rhodium plugs with the Bijou over the decent copper i have lying around. i'm going to hardwire some 1m silver wire to the SA in the Bijou as well. but first...

i'm soldering Regal's Mod this weekend. i'll have a whole week off of work to get some relaxing HP time in, and check out a couple of new albums.

I've had a similar experience with Tubecaps. 200's on the output firmed up the sound significantly with HD650's, without sacrificing bass extension. I wouldn't go back to electros now except perhaps for low impedance phones. The 701's just don't work with my Bijou the way it is now (no NFB probably doesn't help), but I reckon its close to ideal for the Senn's.

There were no obvious burn in effects with any of the new caps (Tubecaps throughout PS & at the output, Supreme Silver/Oil for coupling), just a slight mellowing of the sound; or perhaps it was me getting used to it? But any effects may also have been masked by constant tweaking. Shinkoh resistors have certainly helped & it is still improving with these - increased spaciousness, depth & overall clarity. All signal wiring is Jupiter or Audio Consulting solid AG, input jacks are ETI Phonopods.

Biggest change has come however from a pair of Bugle Boy 6DJ8's (1962) - a staggering improvement. I now understand why such a fuss is made about these tubes. The last tweak has been a HiFi Tuning fuse & I kid you not, it HAS made a difference! Improved focus & clarity of the soundstage as well as a slight tightening of the bass were the obvious changes.

This is now undoubtedly the best amp I've ever heard. I find it hard to get enough of its liquid, mellifluous, MUSICAL sound. Once again, I'm rediscovering my music collection & marvelling at the detail & musicality that many CD's can offer.

I'm waiting on some parts from Jeff Rossell to finish the SOHA II I've started, but I suspect it won't be in the same class as the Bijou.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #2,784 of 4,278
Try a bypass of the Mundorf with the MKP1839. It's cheap @ Mouser. That has really woken it up for me and has made me not notice the veil on my HD650 (I'm one of those that find it a bit stifled), but YMMV. My tastes are clearly different. I prefer the 6N1P, I don't much care for the Bugle Boy 6DJ8 or the A-frame 6DJ8. It's too thick. I found the Mundorfs a bit soft up top, but the MKP1839 seems to have cured that for me. I haven't tried the Obbligato coppers or golds yet.

SOHA II vs Bijou. Class, hmm, not sure. I find it hard to classify amps in categories like that. It's different for sure. Mine is no longer stock and running at Bijou type voltages (ha! to the stacker guys :p) and using some tubes, I forget which exactly but it's an ECC82 that was recommended sometime back. Bijou is what I would say is more "liquid". The SOHA II is edgier and more raw. As with tubes, much of the sound varies with it. If using low-Z, I would lean more towards the SOHA II.

I haven't built my EHHA yet (taking a break and just enjoying music), but from the raves, it sounds like that is one to keep an eye out for.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #2,785 of 4,278
Hi guys, yes! it's finally done!

Thanks for all your help everyone and especially to Alex
beerchug.gif

zkbijouglamoursmv3.jpg

More pics of my build at the build gallery. Cheers!

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #2,786 of 4,278
Wow, well let me be the first to say... that looks fantastic. That is probably one of the most beautiful bijous I've seen built on head-fi. I dare say that its one of the few that gives Ferrari a run for his money : D

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #2,787 of 4,278
zkool,
absolutely stunning. i have a huge appreciation/respect for your chassis DIY/woodworking abilities. if my B22 looks half as good as your Bijou, i'll be pleased.

like you need to worry about what style of VU meter you should go with
wink.gif
. no matter what, it will be a work of art.

kudos!!!

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #2,790 of 4,278
Many many thanks guys
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a very unusual viewpoint on amp design.
atsmile.gif

Is the amp working ok?

lol It works flawless Alex, you're the man
wink.gif

It sounds exactly as it did, perhaps even better than first time I gave it a good listen. cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back